POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

How about you try to buy a Sony A7III in any internet store today at the list price 1998 dollars?
I tried. It is impossible. It is sold out.
Yesterday, a Japanese store still had two items at 2300 USD. Now they are gone.
It seems Sony could sell as many items as they can make at the moment.
The market is right in the end, always.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
How about you try to buy a Sony A7III in any internet store today at the list price 1998 dollars?
I tried. It is impossible. It is sold out.
Yesterday, a Japanese store still had two items at 2300 USD. Now they are gone.
It seems Sony could sell as many items as they can make at the moment.
The market is right in the end, always.

It's easy here in the UK

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
man people are looking at this camera as if it was $10K. It's only $2300. And most online retailers like B&H or Adorama have 30 day return policies.
U got 30 days to play with it and to decide if it works or not for your needs.
I think it's going to be a great camera. People are afraid of change and new things. I like to move forward, if possible, and not stay in the past. In 2-3 years, if not less, the DSLR will be dead. It's the evolution of things. Remember the shift from Film to Digital. It was painful for some but then again, the technology wasn't comparable to today. Going from DSLR to ML is inevitable and it makes sense.
There are a lot of benefits with the new camera, mainly the EVF, once u use it, u will see the light... Literally...

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
There are a lot of benefits with the new camera, mainly the EVF, once u use it, u will see the light... Literally...
Actually the EVF was one of the things I hated most about the A7 III. It's disorienting and simply doesn't give the same visual connection to what you're shooting as looking through an OVF. However I recognize that mirrorless cameras are inevitable, and EVFs will continue to get better, so I'm trying to get accustomed to it.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I understand your reasoning for how you expect the EOS R to perform but at the end of the day you are still making assumptions about what you think is likely to be the case. I would rather have more information about what actually is the case before I made such a "big decision". It may turn out exactly as you anticipate - or it may turn out there are surprises. I would want to see independent reviews - and user comments (as against reviews) - which describe how things perform in real use before I decided to buy. I mean, to give a simple example, you say no should expect battery life to be as good as for a DSLR. Fine, but what is the difference in real use? Actually quantifying the difference may sway some people one way or the other. Another example is the Digital Photo Preview talking about the touch screen being laggy. If I thought I was seriously a potential buyer for the R (unlikely at this point), I would want to hear more about exactly how it performs in use under different conditions.

And no, it's not a case of "either you want a Canon mirrorless or not". I'm sure some people think that way, but for me - and I think many others - I do not fundamentally care whether the camera has a mirror or not. I am just interested in what the camera is like (its pros and cons) to take photos (or video for those interested in that).

As for buying and returning it, I assume you are in the US. Not everyone has such relaxed and generous returns policies. If I bought the camera and simply didn't like it, I'd have to sell it on the second-hand market. If I was somewhere where I could easily buy and return, I expect I'd be much more likely to say why wait for someone else's review when I could buy it and try it for myself risk free.

Anyway, there are always going to be people who are keen early adopters, and that's fine. If you are happy to spend your money that way, great (or maybe you have the option of buy and return so there is no real risk for you). What I don't understand though is thinking it laughable that some people aren't keen to put their money on the line when there is only very limited information available.

I didn't realize that you're in a place that it's very hard to return a camera from. That would affect my decision a little bit.

However, you can still go on youtube right now and find hours of videos from reviewers right now giving their impressions of using the camera completely hands on. They outline what they like and dislike about the camera. So beyond this I'm not sure really what more insight you're expecting to get from a final review of the camera. They even give impressions of adapting EF lenses to it, right down to using the variable ND filter adapter.

If all of the hands on experience with the camera so far is still not adequate for you to be able to make an informed decision about whether or not the camera is for you, then frankly it probably just isn't. I still fail to see what is missing in all of the hands on assessments that you can go watch on youtube right now, or what you expect to change so dramatically about the user's opinions of the cameras from now until they actually get the camera to keep, or what additional info you expect to learn by watching hours more youtube videos once the camera is actually out.

You seem to think that by watching enough opinions by other people that you will eventually amass enough knowledge about the camera that it will be analogous to actually using the camera yourself, but I think you fail to realize that there will always be many people with many varying opinions about it that will often clash with each other, and ultimately the only way you will know if the camera will work for you is to use it yourself.

Case in point, there are many glowing reviews of the Sony A7 III, you can't even find one in stock new, yet I still really don't like the camera myself.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
You seem to think that by watching enough opinions by other people that you will eventually amass enough knowledge about the camera that it will be analogous to actually using the camera yourself, but I think you fail to realize that there will always be many people with many varying opinions about it that will often clash with each other, and ultimately the only way you will know if the camera will work for you is to use it yourself.

Case in point, there are many glowing reviews of the Sony A7 III, you can't even find one in stock new, yet I still really don't like the camera myself.
I do realise that, and completely agree that actually using a camera (or lens or whatever) myself is the only way to really know if it will work for me. It's just that unless I can find a way to borrow one to try out, I have to spend money to try it and I almost certainly won't be able to get all the money back if I don't like it. That means reading other people's opinions is often simply the best I can do before spending the money, however imperfect that system may be. Also, anyone putting up reviews (or previews) of an EOS R now cannot have really had much experience with it yet, and anyone with access to one now is likely to have some got to use it at a Canon event where the positives were no doubt being hyped, etc. So, I read/watch with interest what is being posted at the moment, but personally I would want more info from people who've had more time with the camera and got to try it out in a wider variety of situations (and who may have less association with Canon) before I was willing to put down my money (unless perhaps I simply had a desperate need to buy a camera immediately). As I gather more information, I am of course looking for opinions from people who seem to use the camera in the way I expect I would, as that is probably going to give me the best guide as to how happy I would be with it.

Anyway, I'm certainly not saying it would be silly to buy an EOS R at this point - it all comes down to each person's situation, and if someone is happy to spend the money now (or have the safety net of being able to return it), awesome. My point was only that I don't think it's silly that some people want more information than is available yet before deciding whether to buy. The information which comes out in future may simply confirm the information available now, but the camera really has not been extensively tested yet (at least by people outside Canon) so there must be a possibility there will be some surprises (good or bad).

If you get the camera, I will be interested to read your opinions on it if you post them! (But yes, you are right - I doubt I'm gong to be a buyer for an EOS R. I'm still interested to learn more about it though.)

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
So, on the first 'pre-order' day (in Australia), the EOS-R price is AUD3200, and there is a roughly15% discount on the 6D2 (now AUD1995) and the 5D4 (now AUD3950). Assuming the latter 2 will drift back up a bit over time, and the EOS-R will drift down, it gives an interesting insight into where the EOS-R is seen to sit in the FF range. And some practical choices on what to buy (if you're in the market).

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
So, on the first 'pre-order' day (in Australia), the EOS-R price is AUD3200, and there is a roughly15% discount on the 6D2 (now AUD1995) and the 5D4 (now AUD3950). Assuming the latter 2 will drift back up a bit over time, and the EOS-R will drift down, it gives an interesting insight into where the EOS-R is seen to sit in the FF range. And some practical choices on what to buy (if you're in the market).

As a fellow Aussie, that's interesting news to me (I hadn't checked sites for pre-order info / prices today). ;)

I was expecting that approximate price (i.e. about AUD3200 vs USD2300). And yes, I agree with the reasoning, that the EOS R street price will fall with time, whereas the 5D4 and 6D2 will remain mostly steady, or possibly even increase if they are currently attracting discounts.

For my purposes, the EOS R brings a number of advantages to the table over FF DSLRs - particularly that I can use my EF-S lenses on them with the adapter (e.g. I have the 10-18mm STM, 15-85mm USM, Sigma 8-16mm, etc). Plus I have some L glass (100mm macro and 70-300mm L). A bonus (from my perspective) - that it uses the same batteries I mainly use (LP-E6)

As I currently have a relatively reasonable competent faster FPS / AF tracking ability via my 7D and 80D APS=C DSLRs, I would mainly use the EOS R for static (or slower moving) subjects, nature and landscapes. So I would rather have the EOS R than the 6D mkII, and possibly even over the 5DmkIV... particularly with the interesting RF lenses coming out.

I will stay tuned... something interesting for the future. :cool:

PJ

Upvote 0
Fortunately for you, there is an adaptor for ALL your lenses and with full compatibility. The only investment is the $2299 for the body. IMO, a great price for new technology and things that the 5D will never be able to do like the swivel screen or EVF and not to mention a new processor and sensor.

That's 2299 for the body and 100 for the adapter. Still cheaper than the 5D IV. But . . .

I'm with Geek on this one. Just upgraded from 50D to the 5D IV and very happy. For me the R has 3 major problems: #1 it isn't available (and I was ready to buy), #2 it isn't known/understood (what are the problems, short comings, things that slick marketing is covering up), #3 Even when it does come out it will be several more months to get the firm ware update to get full functionality.

My mother-in-law, God bless her soul, always said enough is abundance to the wise. The 5D IV is enough for my needs and has plenty of room for growth. ilty-swively screen may be useful for me on rare occasions but certainly not needed. Sounds like the EVF is really nice but I don't know that I'll miss the bells and bobbles, I've lived without it all for over 20 years.

Maybe it's age that gives perspective , maybe it's living without. After many long years of waiting, I'll take my bird in hand, thank you very much.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I didn't realize that you're in a place that it's very hard to return a camera from. That would affect my decision a little bit.

However, you can still go on youtube right now and find hours of videos from reviewers right now giving their impressions of using the camera completely hands on. They outline what they like and dislike about the camera. So beyond this I'm not sure really what more insight you're expecting to get from a final review of the camera. They even give impressions of adapting EF lenses to it, right down to using the variable ND filter adapter.

If all of the hands on experience with the camera so far is still not adequate for you to be able to make an informed decision about whether or not the camera is for you, then frankly it probably just isn't. I still fail to see what is missing in all of the hands on assessments that you can go watch on youtube right now, or what you expect to change so dramatically about the user's opinions of the cameras from now until they actually get the camera to keep, or what additional info you expect to learn by watching hours more youtube videos once the camera is actually out.

Not sure why you keep hammering away at someone who is looking to get more information from reliable reviewers? More information is good. Watching the majority of the YouTube reveiwes at this point would be an enormously stupid idea as many - if not most - are trolling for a specific company (Sony). Plus no one has gotten to use the camera for an extended period of time and has used all the features. This is Canon's first FF mirrorless - and, my guess is, rushed the release date by a few months. How can getting a thorough hands-on review from a reviewer that you trust be a bad idea. Maybe not necessary for you and others - but you keep hammering away as if it is a bad idea.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I was interested in the R and 50mm together, but no longer since I saw the The Digital Picture images. For the cost, I hoped for sharpness exceeding the other 50mm lenses and matching the Sigma 135 Art. I'm sure the AF is fine, but that's not enough.

You do understand that the sharpness is mostly determined by the sharpness setting that the user chooses. So you can't really compare sharpness results from different cameras.

Upvote 0
would like to see both the canon and the new nikon FF mirrorless fight it out first, and then see about diving in. Since this is the first one, and I'm not really a fan of their other mirrorless so far. will wait for the 2nd one, and then maybe buy the old one if the price can go down. but being a fan of canon moreso will definitely sway my decision alot

Upvote 0