POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I was interested in the R and 50mm together, but no longer since I saw the The Digital Picture images. For the cost, I hoped for sharpness exceeding the other 50mm lenses and matching the Sigma 135 Art. I'm sure the AF is fine, but that's not enough.

It appears you may not have accurately seen the test results. I am not a pixel peeper, but the optical quality of the RF 50mm L lens is really impressive. The real world sample images really show that also.

Here are some statements from Bryan, of The Digital Picture:

"Ready to be impressed? Check out this comparison (visualize the resolution difference) "
Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L compared to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L Lens
"This might be the 50mm lens you've been waiting for."

"The R with the RF 50 f/1.2 easily rules over the 5D IV with the EF 50 f/1.2."

Bryan does outline in detail, that the default sharpness of the EOS R is different to the 5DIV. He also explains to take these differences into account.

The combination of the EOS R and 50mm sets a great benchmark for a FF with AF 50mm f/1.2 lens.
Having said that, if someone can't get great to amazing images with a EOS 5DIV and EF 50mm f/1.2 - then it's probably the photographer!
Photographers with decent skill get amazing photos with the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and EF 50mm f/1.4- with 'lesser DSLRs'. As I have said for 20 years in digital photography, it is often more about the skill than the kit.

PJ

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
It appears you may not have accurately seen the test results. I am not a pixel peeper, but the optical quality of the RF 50mm L lens is really impressive. The real world sample images really show that also.

Here are some statements from Bryan, of The Digital Picture:

"Ready to be impressed? Check out this comparison (visualize the resolution difference) "
Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L compared to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L Lens
"This might be the 50mm lens you've been waiting for."

"The R with the RF 50 f/1.2 easily rules over the 5D IV with the EF 50 f/1.2."

Bryan does outline in detail, that the default sharpness of the EOS R is different to the 5DIV. He also explains to take these differences into account.

The combination of the EOS R and 50mm sets a great benchmark for a FF with AF 50mm f/1.2 lens.
Having said that, if someone can't get great to amazing images with a EOS 5DIV and EF 50mm f/1.2 - then it's probably the photographer!
Photographers with decent skill get amazing photos with the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and EF 50mm f/1.4- with 'lesser DSLRs'. As I have said for 20 years in digital photography, it is often more about the skill than the kit.

PJ
While I generally agree, once you put the RF 50 against the Sigma 50 Art and the Zeiss Otus 55, the RF 50 doesn't seem so impressive to me. I think that might have been what chrysoberyl was getting at. Yes the RF 50 is up there but it doesn't seem to me to be a step forward over what was already available. (That said, sharpness isn't everything so will be interesting to see more comparisons.)

Upvote 0
Three stores that I looked on their website have them marked as 'in stock'.
Take the lead from here

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/
Thank you. None of them deliver abroad. B&H doesn't either, nor Amazon. 42 Street Photo will email me when they have stock. A Hong Kong shop would but not at 1998 dollars.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I already have two ML FF bodies from Canon's R(angefinder) system, including some nice "R" lenses... ;)

Seriously, I am going to test an EOS R when my local shop has it available, and then I'll make my mind up. I am tempted by some RF lenses (the more expensive ones I fear)...

16463752_1916601008575177_998343092284457627_o.jpg;)

Upvote 0
You do understand that the sharpness is mostly determined by the sharpness setting that the user chooses. So you can't really compare sharpness results from different cameras.

Oh, absolutely. The Sigma 135 Art on a 5DS is bound to look sharper than the 50 on the R. I expect the next Canon FF mirrorless will have substantially more pixels and will be a fairer comparison. At the moment, I would really like to see the Sigma 135 Art adapted to the R.

Some features of R are very appealing. If I was just switching to FF, this would be the camera for me.

Upvote 0
The 2 sticking points from what I read is lack of full 4 K and IBIS. If these 2 features are there, Canon would have sent a message to their competitors that they are still at the forefront of photography. Too bad at $2300 US, a little steep in price with features lacking in today's consumers' want lists. Canon if you are listening, can you upgrade the firmware to the any of the above features. Tempting to buy one but ...waiting to see if competitors upcoming equipment

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The 2 sticking points from what I read is lack of full 4 K and IBIS. If these 2 features are there, Canon would have sent a message to their competitors that they are still at the forefront of photography. Too bad at $2300 US, a little steep in price with features lacking in today's consumers' want lists. Canon if you are listening, can you upgrade the firmware to the any of the above features. Tempting to buy one but ...waiting to see if competitors upcoming equipment
I do not think these two features are only firmware dependent. In that case they would have done it. For now Canon has announced that they will adress other points in firmware like eye-af working only in one shot af.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

What makes you think that the others did not know this already? I ask because most of the internet seems to have already guessed.
As to whether these define the 'forefront of photography' is highly questionable.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have a 5D MK IV, like many others, I do not use it for video, but having the capability is fine. A dedicated video camera is the way to go for those who actually make a living doing high end video, there is a lot more involved than just 4K.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 2 sticking points from what I read is lack of full 4 K and IBIS. If these 2 features are there, Canon would have sent a message to their competitors that they are still at the forefront of photography.
So 4K video is required to be at the forefront of photography? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I have no doubt that Canon could add IBIS with a firmware update:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I think we all have very personal requirements as to what we feel the perfect camera for us is. My main camera is the 6D MKII and for ME it's just what I require; FF, small & relatively light, articulating screen and importantly built in GPS.

I think the EOS R is a very good statement of intent from Canon (and indeed the first mirrorless camera to convince me that they will eventually replace dslrs), but for me, no GPS and the price point means I have no need for one at the moment but I suspect in 5 years time most of us will be mirrorless ;) The new lenses certainly look tempting too and if a R mount 24-70 L with IS is in the pipeline, that would tempt me.

Upvote 0
A firmware update will NOT give you IBIS... :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I'm considering buying this camera. But I'll not preorder it. I'm not sure the RF lenses would make me happier than the lenses I now own, especially given their premium prices. So, for me, the camera will need to sell itself. The fact that it is a mirrorless camera is only an afterthought. I would consider buying the EOS R had it been a 6D III with most of the same technology.
I, almost always pass on pre-orders. It's like going down to your local car dlrship and getting the fever so bad you cough up MSRP dollars, only to find much better pricing in just 4-6 mos. Since my current eqpt works just fine, even though I think I would like a new EOS-R, I can wait. Very much surprised that there is not a better break on RF 24-105mm kit pricing. Buy them separate or buy them together, basically same price. In fact, you can buy them separate and save a dollar. Explain that marketing strategy, Canon, or Canon retailer.

Upvote 0