POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Jul 31, 2018
E.g. in eye AF they have selectable left or right eye priority, very convinient feature,

Luckily with Canon one does not have to invest large sums in big Pseudo-MF gear to get such amenities. Even the lowly "entry level" crop-sensor EOS M50 for 500 bucks lets user select "other eye" in Eye-AF ... if so desired.

While Eye Detect AF will normally focus upon the eye nearest to the camera, if you want to concentrate on the subject’s other eye, that’s easy to do — just press the AF Point Select button, on the back of the camera, twice. You’ll see the smaller “box” surrounding the detected eye jump to the subject’s other eye.
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2018/eos-m50/eos-m50-autofocus.shtml

Upvote 0
Do I need more dof? Nope:cool:

This is a good use of shallow DOF. The whole subject is in focus (at least without pixel peeping), but the background isn't so blurred that you can't tell what it is. I have to say I found with the 85L 1.2 that sometimes the background was *too* out of focus, and my totally amateur observation of a lot of portraiture is that the background is included to some extent, especially where the person's living or working space is part of the story.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
This is a good use of shallow DOF. The whole subject is in focus (at least without pixel peeping), but the background isn't so blurred that you can't tell what it is. I have to say I found with the 85L 1.2 that sometimes the background was *too* out of focus, and my totally amateur observation of a lot of portraiture is that the background is included to some extent, especially where the person's living or working space is part of the story.
Thanks!

I want wide open, and include/exclude using the distance between me and the subject and subject to background.

That shot was wide open with the 200 f2.0(y)

Upvote 0

lenspacker

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Sep 7, 2018
I´ve seen the EOS R today at the photokina in cologne (ger) with a intense chance to try and test it. It is a very good camera with impressive low light skills. The colors produced by the new chip are very awesome and worth to buy it. But cause of the lack of many standard features this is not my camera and I will not order or buy it. :unsure::unsure::confused:(n)
According to an interview, I`ve seen in the web, with a higher german canon employee the R-system is only a complement to the DSLR`s - and no replacement. So I can sleep very well and wait for a 5Dsr-R or a 1 dx-R sometimes - - - so it is a nice entry into the world of mirrorless cams, but nothing more.... so wait and see....!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Having spent a lot of time with the EOS R at Photokina I’m truly in two minds about it. On the one hand I like the smaller form factor, the four new lenses, how quick it focuses, and the quality of the images but on the other hand the control layout compared to the DSLRs is totally different and takes time to get used too.
The back button focus button could be further over to the left for my liking I found it irritating after awhile.
The FV function is pretty cool and I’m sure once used continuously the layout will become second nature so only time will tell.
The adapters work really well with EF lenses I used a EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM III and it focused quicker than it does on my DSLRs. Same was true with the EF 100 f2.8L IS USM.

Something says wait and that likely what I will do.
I get that this is a downside (and it will be to me too although I've probably used less customisation etc over the years than most here) - but isn't this always the case with a major upgrade? For people using it as a 2nd camera (for eg) with a Canon DSLR, it will mean switching lay-outs with switching cameras, but for those moving to the EOS-R as a primary camera, isn't it just a few weeks of familiarity? Everything else you are saying sounds very positive, and a real-world confirmation of the marketing points

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
had my hands on with the canon at photokina.

i found the eye af to be terrible to be honest.
maybe as good as the eye af in a A6000 camera (which i never used because of it´s "performance").

more a problem for me are the reports about banding.
an issue that the nikon Z7 has too as it seems (dpreview).

EVF is nice, build quality was canon like... nothing to complain here.
i would have given the EOS R a joystick instead of the touch bar.
i guess that will be a feature that vanishes on later models.
i did not like it that much.

Upvote 0
had my hands on with the canon at photokina.

i found the eye af to be terrible to be honest.
maybe as good as the eye af in a A6000 camera (which i never used because of it´s "performance").

more a problem for me are the reports about banding.
an issue that the nikon Z7 has too as it seems (dpreview).

EVF is nice, build quality was canon like... nothing to complain here.
i would have given the EOS R a joystick instead of the touch bar.
i guess that will be a feature that vanishes on later models.
i did not like it that much.

The banding is indeed a major issue..if you underexpose by >5 stops and expect clean results.
Sounds like you'll never own a R series if you're holding out for a joystick. Touch n drag is for real and there's no going back :love:

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I'm considering the switch, what does it compromise vs 5DMKIV other than no dual cards, no joystick and different button layout?

Don't have it yet. I will try it on a trip in November, if I like it I will use it alot, if not it will be backup. Either way it will be a learning experience

Upvote 0
Not going to purchase one either. Had this camera come out last year at his time, before I bought my 5d4, then I'd probably be getting one. I'm going to wait for canon's more professional camera to come out and then decide. Even then, I'll probably wait for the second generation of these cameras and for the line to mature even more before making a move. My 5d4 and 6d will be plenty good for years to come.

Upvote 0