POLL: So the 5ds is ~$4k ... will you dump your old 5d3 or 1dx?

How will you react to the 5ds/r release?

• ... I'll dump my old 1dx

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks good - My 1Ds3 will likely carry on as backup and prime in tougher environments (like foundries and other noxious places, where 21MP is perfectly fine)

The 5Ds will mainly be for architectural work...

The 11-24 may well be partly paid for by selling an EF14 2.8L II, if the 11-24 is as good as the price might hint at ;-)

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
If the price points are correct, that is at least not a complete non-starter. But I'll keep my 5DIII for a year or longer. If the reviews come back as amazing, if the noise/IQ shooting at MRAW (28 MP) is better than the 5DIII, etc...I'll at least consider it. I would probably shoot MRAW most of the time and only shoot RAW as needed. Could seen benefits to the "crop" modes if they give faster fps, as is rumored.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
its premature to judge without full manufacturers specs and knowing the European price (which will likely be a third higher than the US).

Future Consulting published data about the UK that stated:-

Though demand for DSLRs dropped (-18%), Futuresource says that 354,000 DSLR units were sold in 2014 – outstripping CSCs by more than three times and maintaining their dominance of the system camera market. However CSCs grew by 2% to 105,000 units.
Compact cameras continued their decline overall but premium compacts $800 and above grew by 20%.

Premium DSLRs showed slight gains indicating that lower priced DSLRs were where the falls were.

The price "sweet spot" in the UK is £1125 to £2000 ($1700 to $3000) for hobby photographers, so at $4000 US that will exclude a lot of that group take note Canon.

Upvote 0
tron said:
I will skip it (as I already mentioned in a similar thread).

All I want is a 5DMkIV with the same Mpixels as 5DMkIII with better high and low ISO performance, 8 fps and much better DR (maybe using the Canon Dual-Scale Column-Parallel ADC Patent...).

Which means you know my answer to a future poll when 5DMkIV arrives ;D

Pretty much my thinking. I already get fabulous results from the 5D3, 6D, etc. I've never cared about MP, even when I just had a 30D. I care a LOT more about all other camera aspects so I'll wait for the 5D4. And probably keep waiting for quite a while after that for a great deal on that.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
privatebydesign said:
I will be getting a 1DX MkII (if it has 21MP or more), that will be my main camera and the current 1Ds MkIII will be the backup. When the 1Ds MkIII dies or I have an over riding need for 50MP then the 5DS will become the 'backup', studio and product camera.

By the time your 1DsIII dies private, we'll be on the 5Dw

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
When the D800 came out I tried it because I was interested to compare a 36 mp single frame with 3 vertical frame stitch from the 12.7 mp 5D, which worked out at about 28 mp, and the same thing on the 5DII which was about 55 mp. Even the 5D stitch was far superior to the 36 mp single frame because the original image was over twice as big.

The reality is that if you are looking for more quality, resolution, enlargement etc than the mid twenties FF size sensor can give you really need to go to a larger format.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people who buy a 5Ds or sR who would have been better served by a 5DIII / IV.

It may be that in the short term, before the release of the 5DIV this high mp camera may offer some IQ improvements, but I can't see it lasting over cameras with larger pixels.,

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Sporgon said:
When the D800 came out I tried it because I was interested to compare a 36 mp single frame with 3 vertical frame stitch from the 12.7 mp 5D, which worked out at about 28 mp, and the same thing on the 5DII which was about 55 mp. Even the 5D stitch was far superior to the 36 mp single frame because the original image was over twice as big.

The reality is that if you are looking for more quality, resolution, enlargement etc than the mid twenties FF size sensor can give you really need to go to a larger format.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people who buy a 5Ds or sR who would have been better served by a 5DIII / IV.

It may be that in the short term, before the release of the 5DIV this high mp camera may offer some IQ improvements, but I can't see it lasting over cameras with larger pixels.,

I am of the opinion that a mid 20s MP full frame is quite enough. My guess is that most pros will find this to be true as well. In my experience, at least, larger pixels create better overall IQ than smaller pixels, but I guess we'll find out if this remains to be true with these new cameras.

In my opinion, I think Canon is making a major marketing blunder. This camera should be the lowest priced FF as it will appeal to those who aren't pros. Those enthusiasts who are easily seduced by what seems like a big improvement probably won't pay $3 to $4 thousand for a camera. Pros that will pay that amount won't be seduced by the 50 MP unless their is some sort of breakthrough in other areas.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
tron said:
I will skip it (as I already mentioned in a similar thread).

All I want is a 5DMkIV with the same Mpixels as 5DMkIII with better high and low ISO performance, 8 fps and much better DR (maybe using the Canon Dual-Scale Column-Parallel ADC Patent...).
+1, I would add 1.3/1.6 crop modes 8)

Upvote 0
Too early to ask.

Does it actually go to 7fps in crop mode as some claim?
Will it deliver Exmor or better DR?

It sounds like it will deliver all of that, but I'm still a bit worried it might be stuck at 5fps even in crop mode or that maybe the 5fps is the crop mode speed and FF speed is even slower. And maybe it's wishful thinking to believe the Sony sensor or Sony fab producing a radical new Canon design.

(Sadly, it seems like all signs are pointing to rather poor video, but there is still a chance it might have zebras,focusing aids,10bits,4:2:2 or 4:4:4 although the hints make it sound all very unlikely, which is really a shame, since between no 4k and none of that it will mean giving away a 5D3 that actually, with ML, will likely deliver much better video quality (if willing to mess with RAW video) and with much better video usability than this new camera.)

For me it's simply got to have the Exmor or better DR since it won't give top quality 4k video.

And since the video will probably be even worse than what I can get out of my 5D3 and tougher to use, I'd say it's also gotta give me the 7fps in the crop mode and arrive at a decent price.

Between the 5fps FF, 7fps cropped, the 50MP, the Exmor DR, the likely 5D3 or better AF, it would at least deliver pretty much all I could ask for as far as still as this point in time.

If the price is too crazy though then you are left with truly no money (well I would be at least hah) to get video from some other brand or even to afford the 5Ds to begin with regardless).

If doesn't do all that, then considering the likely poor video, forget it.

If it delivers the 50MP, 7fps cropped mode, Exmor or better DR and overall excellent sensor performance, AF at least as good as in the 5D3 and the price isn't more than what the Euro pricing rumor hints going by direct $ exchange then I think I'd be pretty interested. It would be exceedingly dissapointing regarding video, but basically deliver on every last thing I could ask for in a still cam at this point in time, which would be a pretty refreshing and exciting change from Canon (ignoring the sad video aspect) and rather enticing to say the least.

If it is a 7D2 sensor made FF size, max 5fps and poor video, I won't even know what to say other than I guess it would be a clear sign that it's time to just give up on Canon and maybe make the full switch to Nikon and not even bother using a hybrid Canon plus Sony+adapter system.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
dak723 said:
This camera should be the lowest priced FF as it will appeal to those who aren't pros.

Muhahaha, keep 'em coming :)

dak723 said:
In my opinion, I think Canon is making a major marketing blunder.

At least here is no doubt in my mind: unless the camera is severely dr-crippled (and I doubt it with a max of iso6400) it will lift the "18mp sensor forever" burden.

Look at the recent activity in this forum alone, unlike the 5d3 release people aren't nitpicking, complaining about the price or comparing it to the Sonikon competition. Either they say 50mp is fine for some but they don't need it, or they want to add/upgrade to the 5ds. It's a win-win for Canon.

Upvote 0