Poll: What are the chances that specs for rumored 7D Mark II will become true?

What do you think about presented specification regarding rumored 7D Mark II.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the fun begins again :)
What are the chances that the specs presented here: 7D2 specs rumor will become true?

You can give five votes - there are different specs to judge. You can change your decision.

Canon Rumors said:
The 7D Mark II a go?

Below is a purported spec list for an upcoming EOS 7D Mark II.
Specifications

• 24MP – an all new sensor with phase AF on chip and noticeably lower noise than the current 18MP.
  • 1Dx/5D3 based AF system.
  • 10 FPS.
  • ISO 100-25600.
  • High speed video, with still capture.
  • Improved durability and sealing.
  • Available this year.
(...)
Source: NL

Louis said:
I cannot see the camera being almost better than a 5Dmark3 and with these specs it seems it is, it wouldn't make sense for canon, also the big firmware is a big indication that it isn't going to move for a while, I would assume a 7D2 upgrade is a 6D

Thanks. It's a good idea to add an option: "Rumored specs rather point to a new camera than 7D's sucessor".

Upvote 0
On the one hand, I find it hard to believe Canon (a) has released a v2 firmware a short while before a mk2 is released, and (b) will release high res APS-C body before releasing a similar res FF body. On the other hand, the 7D was surprisingly good at the time of it's release.

Considering the 7D's age and delats in Canon's release schedule, I wouldn't rule out the rumored high res FF body has been delayed, so Canon released a firmware upgrade to extend the 7D's life until the FF body is released as well.

Upvote 0
Ellen Schmidtee said:
On the one hand, I find it hard to believe Canon (a) has released a v2 firmware a short while before a mk2 is released, and (b) will release high res APS-C body before releasing a similar res FF body. On the other hand, the 7D was surprisingly good at the time of it's release.

Considering the 7D's age and delats in Canon's release schedule, I wouldn't rule out the rumored high res FF body has been delayed, so Canon released a firmware upgrade to extend the 7D's life until the FF body is released as well.

So now we have another CR regarding big MP you mentioned :)

Upvote 0
Some of these specs appear to be reasonable, but some other parts make me question, if these specs are for real, because I feel it may be too good to be true.

Here's my take:
The 7D delivered many professional camera features, but it was available at a rather low price (compared to a 1D Mark IV). At that time the difference between a 1D Mark IV and a 7D (although obvious) was less pronounced as it is now with the 1D-X being full-frame and even faster. A successor to the 7D may thus be upgraded to the point of this being a rather affordable sports camera, possibly less effective compared to the 1D Mark IV, but coming closer. A 7D Mark II may therefore be in a similar position compared to the 1D-X as the 7D was to the 1D Mark IV.

Would this be wise? Obviously 7D Mark II sales would not cut into any 1D Mark IV sales and I believe they would not negatively affect 1D-X sales either. On the other hand Canon would likely sell more tele lenses, especially shorter ones. You can get easily into compulsive repetitive lens purchase mode with such a camera, buying a 135mm f2 (instead of 200 f2), then buying a 300mm f4 or 300mm f2.8 (instead of a 400mm f5.6 or 400mm f2.8). Then people may get into birding and buy longer lenses as well.

Upvote 0
A

AdamJ

Louis said:
I cannot see the camera being almost better than a 5Dmark3 and with these specs it seems it is, it wouldn't make sense for canon, also the big firmware is a big indication that it isn't going to move for a while, I would assume a 7D2 upgrade is a 6D

Given that the 7DII will be APS-C, Canon can allow it to be better than the 5DIII in many areas because it won't make it a better camera than the 5DIII, just different. The 7D has its own identity as a great camera for sports, action, birding, etc., such that many owners of full-frame bodies also have a 7D. The specs of the 7DII need to be equally clearly differentiated so that 5DIII owners will want one. To me, the rumoured specs seem entirely reasonable.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
  • Something will probably show up at Potatokina this year. Its a crapshoot as to whether it's a 70D or a 7D replacement. My guess is that it'll be a 70D, but that's just an educated guess.
  • Pressure on Canon to release something depends on whether Nikon announces the D400 now or at the end of the winter.
  • What we really need is lenses...

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
They don't sound unreasonable, but I don't think we'll see one any time soon and I think this list is purely speculative.

I'd be wiling to bet that this is a BS wishlist that someone made up because Photokina is around the corner and they really want a new 7D. Bottom line is that if there was any chance of a 7DII being announced soon we would have been hearing about it for months already.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for participating in the poll. I think it's time to close it, as it can happen that finally they would announce something before Photokina :)
Summarizing: we here think, that:
1. It's not important so far, because 7D2 or 70D with such specs will not be announced soon
2. Announced availability will indicate next year (so it's not avaialable this year anyway)
3. if announced, it would have
a) Less than 24MPs
b) Durability and sealing like in 7D, not better

We'll see in a few days :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.