POLL: What picture styles do you use?

I use this/these styles in camera or as emulation in post:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like to go with standard or monochrome and RAW all the way, haven't noticed that much difference in using other styles. Raw just gives so much flexibility at editing point so I think it ain't that big deal what style you are on. Correct me if i'm wrong with this ???
I just like to use RAW+monochrome combination to see if exposure is correct, fast and simple way and whats even better when importing to LR you get colors back to image ;D

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
I select "Standard" and RAW-only. In LR I reset to "neutral" and often use a combination of two or three presets as basis for the development of the RAW.

The camera-picture style does not affect the RAW-Data. It is only useful if you select RAW + JPEG. And it has an effect on the Preview in the camera. I like to see a fairly nice picture after shooting. :)

Greetings Andy

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
I don't know why he uses neutral, but for me it indeed seems like a good postprocessing basis. Btw "faithful" looks very similar, but a bit warmer - but I don't use it as I don't quite understand what it does vs neutral (anyone?).

Chuck Wesfall explained the difference on a monthly column, "Tech Tips", he wrote for The Digital Journalist, which I loved to read. Too bad Canon pulled their sponsorship back in 2010 and, unfortunately, CW no longer wrote his tips on TDJ since then. It was a great resource and still is, just browse the archives and you'll see.

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0910/tech-tips.html

There's also an old thread on POTN you may find useful:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=893089

Cheers!

Upvote 0
pierlux said:
just browse the archives and you'll see

Great link, thanks! And it seems I was lucky by pure chance, neutral really seem to be the smarter choice for me ... here's a quote if the article should go away:

Of the two Picture Style settings, "Faithful" attempts to reproduce colors as accurately as possible (similar to "Relative Colorimetric"), as long as the colors are within gamut and the white balance is properly set. "Neutral" attempts to produce a pleasing color balance (similar to "Perceptual"). As long as the colors being compared are within gamut, "Faithful" and "Neutral" will be almost identical, but you may see some differences between them in terms of out-of-gamut color reproduction. The reason that Canon's documentation references 5200K for Faithful is to provide a clear definition of the shooting conditions under which accurate color reproduction is calibrated.

The potn basically states that faithful is for this very exact color tempature in controlled lighting. Last not least, I never checked how different Canon's original styles and the ACR emulation is - one more reason to use "neutral" which doesn't seem to make too many assumptions on its own.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Marsu42 said:
pierlux said:

Great link, thanks! And it seems I was lucky by pure chance, neutral really seem to be the smarter choice for me ... here's a quote if the article should go away:

Of the two Picture Style settings, "Faithful" attempts to reproduce colors as accurately as possible (similar to "Relative Colorimetric"), as long as the colors are within gamut and the white balance is properly set. "Neutral" attempts to produce a pleasing color balance (similar to "Perceptual"). As long as the colors being compared are within gamut, "Faithful" and "Neutral" will be almost identical, but you may see some differences between them in terms of out-of-gamut color reproduction. The reason that Canon's documentation references 5200K for Faithful is to provide a clear definition of the shooting conditions under which accurate color reproduction is calibrated.

The potn basically states that faithful is for this very exact color tempature in controlled lighting. Last not least, I never checked how different Canon's original styles and the ACR emulation is - one more reason to use "neutral" which doesn't seem to make too many assumptions on its own.

Hmmm... You manage to get to that text (the .org one)? I only manage to get a 403 & a 500 error. :( That daemon doesn't like me!

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
Marsu42 said:
Even when shooting raw, the picstyle determines the preview result. Even if postprocessing from raw you have to set some camera calibration which includes camera emulation styles (at least with Adobe - though "Adobe Standard" is the default).

What picture style(s) do you use?
Anyone out there actually using Landscape for landscape and Portrait for Portrait?

Fyi: You can download several custom styles from http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/picturestyle/

Not finding a way to download these for 6D

Maybe I got it....

Upvote 0
TeT said:

As far as I remember, you have to transfer these with eos utility (attached via usb, or probably wifi might works as well with the 6d)

DominoDude said:
Hmmm... You manage to get to that text (the .org one)? I only manage to get a 403 & a 500 error. :( That daemon doesn't like me!

Works over here, do you live in China? I'm attaching a pdf of the web page...

Attachments

• Tech Tips - The Digital Journalist.pdf
    69.2 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
Marsu42 said:
TeT said:

As far as I remember, you have to transfer these with eos utility (attached via usb, or probably wifi might works as well with the 6d)

DominoDude said:

Works over here, do you live in China? I'm attaching a pdf of the web page...

谢谢! ("Xie xie!" - thanks in Mandarin Chinese) - nope, not in China, but Vielen Dank, that pdf worked like a charm.

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
Marsu42 said:
pierlux said:
Great link, thanks! ... ...

Probably you're using Firefox (it's my browser of choice, too). Try opening the link in a different browser.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
pierlux said:
DominoDude said:
Marsu42 said:
pierlux said:

Probably you're using Firefox (it's my browser of choice, too). Try opening the link in a different browser.
Indeedy I am. It worked thanks to Marsu's PDF - and it saves me from firing up any other browser.

Upvote 0
pierlux said:

I'm using firefox, too - but with tons of addons. Maybe this it's refcontrol which fakes the referer, making 3rd party websites think I came not from outside (like CR) but from their own site. It often allows me to grab pictures or visit deeper pages which would otherwise redirect to a "please don't link this" error page or the root page.

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
pierlux said:
DominoDude said:
Marsu42 said:
pierlux said:
Indeedy I am. It worked thanks to Marsu's PDF - and it saves me from firing up any other browser.
Sorry for not remembering to indicate that the site does not work with Firefox, my fault. Since I use Internet Explorer by default for viewing digitaljournalist.org, as well as very few other sites which are not visualized properly in Firefox, I forgot to insert a warning in my post :-[.

And thanks to Marsu42 for his explanation! I always solve this kind of problem "the lazy way" by using a different browser, I should try to dig deeper into this kind of oddities instead.

Upvote 0
100% RAW shooting. I like Neutral (for on site checks via camera screen) because I have to work for better/clearer/punchier colors ... waiting for the right light or modify the existing light with silk clothes, white paper etc. (The latter not for landscapes ...).

In movie mode it might be the best option to preserve editing latitude - with 600D there is no RAW mode for video AFAIK and I wouldn't like their larger size too.

Upvote 0