POLL: Who will be first with 8K...

Which mainstream manufacturer will be first to add 8K video to a device?

  • Canon

    Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Sony

    Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Nikon

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Panasonic

    Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Fuji

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Samsung

    Votes: 10 16.7%

  • Total voters
    60

expatinasia

EOR R
Aug 18, 2011
1,703
1
Asia Pacific
Just a few weeks ago people here and elsewhere were still discussing 4K, but in the past few days I have read more and more online reports about 8K videos appearing on YouTube!

Here is one such video:

https://youtu.be/RNdHaeBhT9Q

(note that in YT settings I can only go up to 4K (2160), I presume because my connection is not fast enough and my monitor is only 1920x1080.

Crazy stuff, but it's coming, albeit only if you have the right hardware and internet connection!

So which of the main manufacturers, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Samsung etc do you reckon will be first to add 8K to one of their new devices?!

It does not really matter whether we need this tech or not, it's here and coming - faster than we think.
 

DanThePhotoMan

EOS T7i
Sep 20, 2012
77
0
I personally don't think it will be any of the above. RED will absolutely be the first to make an 8k camera. They already put out 6k with their Dragon a year ago, so I say we'll be seeing 8k from them in the next two years. Being that their new Weapon is doing 6k, I'd say whatever their new upgrade is will be 8k.
 

crazyrunner33

EOS RP
Nov 4, 2011
262
80
In terms of mass production cameras, it'll be Sony or Samsung. The Samsung is capable of 6K output on the NX1, but I don't believe Samnsung is taking advantage of it. Sony's new A7R II already uses an 8K sensor to downsample a clean 4K image. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony enables 8K recording when the A7R III or IV comes out.
 

Proscribo

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2015
208
74
Sooo computer monitors are mostly fullhd I presume and people start to think about 8K video? :eek:
I hope you do realize that quadrupling resolution means A LOT more resolution, 4K means about 8MP, which is IMO really nice amount for video, and so 8K is ~32MP.. more than most still pics today... ???


Oh wait.. is it the megapixel race, again?
 

crazyrunner33

EOS RP
Nov 4, 2011
262
80
Proscribo said:
Sooo computer monitors are mostly fullhd I presume and people start to think about 8K video? :eek:
I hope you do realize that quadrupling resolution means A LOT more resolution, 4K means about 8MP, which is IMO really nice amount for video, and so 8K is ~32MP.. more than most still pics today... ???


Oh wait.. is it the megapixel race, again?
Considering 4K is becoming the standard for subsidized phones, yes. Consumers will love 8K for bragging rights and will serve no purpose for them, but content providers would benefit from 8K in order to downsample to a clean 4K image.
 

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
308
0
Denmark
vimeo.com
Sony already has 6k as well as Red......

Sony also have a prototype 8k camera that has been out for testing. Hopefully we wont see 8k any time soon. I was just getting used to 4k and to be honest the images we have now are more than fine.

They really should invest in delivery infrastructure instead or holographic tech
 

unfocused

EOS 5D SR
Jul 20, 2010
4,934
1,243
66
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
Serious question. What exactly is the purpose of 4K, 6K or 8K?

Most video is being delivered on smart phones and tablets. That is only going to increase in the coming years. I still watch television, but I'm old. (I go to movies too.) My kids and most people I know under 30 seldom turn on a TV. Everything they watch they stream on a phone, tablet or at best a laptop.

So, is the main purpose of 4K etc., to make it easier to crop and stabilize video? Is there any other reason for it?
 

crazyrunner33

EOS RP
Nov 4, 2011
262
80
unfocused said:
Serious question. What exactly is the purpose of 4K, 6K or 8K?

Most video is being delivered on smart phones and tablets. That is only going to increase in the coming years. I still watch television, but I'm old. (I go to movies too.) My kids and most people I know under 30 seldom turn on a TV. Everything they watch they stream on a phone, tablet or at best a laptop.

So, is the main purpose of 4K etc., to make it easier to crop and stabilize video? Is there any other reason for it?
4K is the new broadcast standard, ATSC 3.0 and it'll be a global standard, no more worry about PAL and weird frame rates. 4K is also slowly becoming the standard resolution for phones, tablets, TVs, laptops and computers. For consumers, the biggest benefit of 4K is reduced aliasing. However, a 6K and 8K screen would be overkill, that's better for the content creators.

6K and 8K will actually serve a purpose for theaters, IMAX, video production and still photography. For video production, it will serve well in order to downsample an 8K image from a CMOS sensor to a relatively clean 4K image for final delivery to a 4K screen. I personally would like to use 8K for some of my visual effects work, it would help a lot for tracking, rotoscoping and the green screen.
 

timmy_650

EOS RP
Dec 20, 2012
275
12
I don't think anyone on the list will do it first. I think it is either RED or Gopro. Gopro has loved being in the front of the resolution game/race. RED is red they can already process so much information with there cameras. I think Vision who make the Phantom flex could do it but I don't see them, see a market for it a 8K camera.
 

jcarapet

EOS 80D
Oct 26, 2014
107
0
Austin, TX
echo the sentiments of RED or GoPro getting their first. They have the most to gain from it. Panasonic or Sony will come next, but they need better adoption before being a runaway hit.
 

Tinky

EOS 7D MK II
crazyrunner33 said:
unfocused said:
Serious question. What exactly is the purpose of 4K, 6K or 8K?

Most video is being delivered on smart phones and tablets. That is only going to increase in the coming years. I still watch television, but I'm old. (I go to movies too.) My kids and most people I know under 30 seldom turn on a TV. Everything they watch they stream on a phone, tablet or at best a laptop.

So, is the main purpose of 4K etc., to make it easier to crop and stabilize video? Is there any other reason for it?
4K is the new broadcast standard, ATSC 3.0 and it'll be a global standard, no more worry about PAL and weird frame rates. 4K is also slowly becoming the standard resolution for phones, tablets, TVs, laptops and computers. For consumers, the biggest benefit of 4K is reduced aliasing. However, a 6K and 8K screen would be overkill, that's better for the content creators.

6K and 8K will actually serve a purpose for theaters, IMAX, video production and still photography. For video production, it will serve well in order to downsample an 8K image from a CMOS sensor to a relatively clean 4K image for final delivery to a 4K screen. I personally would like to use 8K for some of my visual effects work, it would help a lot for tracking, rotoscoping and the green screen.
Or no more worry about Never The Same Colour and it's totally regular frame rate of 29.97, so regular and easy to work with that it requires a dropped frame once every 10 minutes.

Yes, plain old 25fps is so tricky to engineer for in comparison. But of course its the half of the world that uses PAL who is out of step, never the yanks. Here's a reminder... we invented the blooming telly.
 

Proscribo

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2015
208
74
Tinky said:
Or no more worry about Never The Same Colour and it's totally regular frame rate of 29.97, so regular and easy to work with that it requires a dropped frame once every 10 minutes.

Yes, plain old 25fps is so tricky to engineer for in comparison. But of course its the half of the world that uses PAL who is out of step, never the yanks. Here's a reminder... we invented the blooming telly.
Oh, my thoughts. ;D Except I didn't now NTSC used 29,97fps :eek: I suppose it can use exactly 30fps too?
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,129
1,648
Canada
Tinky said:
And your point?.... The Never The Same Colour bit was a jokey expansion on the acronym by BBC engineers. Sorry if the joke was lost. Maybe I should have put a smiley face at the end for context.
:)
We also called it Never The Same Color on the west side of the Atlantic...
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,129
1,648
Canada
Tinky said:
Sadly not. But it can use 59.94 interlaced.

I mean no ill will, just in terms of wierdness, as a technical standard NTSC is way out there.
and the 59.94 frame rate came about because some engineer did not know how to make a decent frequency multiplier/divider....