POLL: Who will be first with 8K...

Which mainstream manufacturer will be first to add 8K video to a device?

• Canon

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Sony

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Nikon

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Fuji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Samsung

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters
Just a few weeks ago people here and elsewhere were still discussing 4K, but in the past few days I have read more and more online reports about 8K videos appearing on YouTube!

Here is one such video:

https://youtu.be/RNdHaeBhT9Q

(note that in YT settings I can only go up to 4K (2160), I presume because my connection is not fast enough and my monitor is only 1920x1080.

Crazy stuff, but it's coming, albeit only if you have the right hardware and internet connection!

So which of the main manufacturers, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Samsung etc do you reckon will be first to add 8K to one of their new devices?!

It does not really matter whether we need this tech or not, it's here and coming - faster than we think.

Proscribo said:
Sooo computer monitors are mostly fullhd I presume and people start to think about 8K video? :eek:
I hope you do realize that quadrupling resolution means A LOT more resolution, 4K means about 8MP, which is IMO really nice amount for video, and so 8K is ~32MP.. more than most still pics today... ???

Oh wait.. is it the megapixel race, again?

Considering 4K is becoming the standard for subsidized phones, yes. Consumers will love 8K for bragging rights and will serve no purpose for them, but content providers would benefit from 8K in order to downsample to a clean 4K image.

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
Sony already has 6k as well as Red......

Sony also have a prototype 8k camera that has been out for testing. Hopefully we wont see 8k any time soon. I was just getting used to 4k and to be honest the images we have now are more than fine.

They really should invest in delivery infrastructure instead or holographic tech

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Serious question. What exactly is the purpose of 4K, 6K or 8K?

Most video is being delivered on smart phones and tablets. That is only going to increase in the coming years. I still watch television, but I'm old. (I go to movies too.) My kids and most people I know under 30 seldom turn on a TV. Everything they watch they stream on a phone, tablet or at best a laptop.

So, is the main purpose of 4K etc., to make it easier to crop and stabilize video? Is there any other reason for it?

Upvote 0
unfocused said:

Most video is being delivered on smart phones and tablets. That is only going to increase in the coming years. I still watch television, but I'm old. (I go to movies too.) My kids and most people I know under 30 seldom turn on a TV. Everything they watch they stream on a phone, tablet or at best a laptop.

So, is the main purpose of 4K etc., to make it easier to crop and stabilize video? Is there any other reason for it?

4K is the new broadcast standard, ATSC 3.0 and it'll be a global standard, no more worry about PAL and weird frame rates. 4K is also slowly becoming the standard resolution for phones, tablets, TVs, laptops and computers. For consumers, the biggest benefit of 4K is reduced aliasing. However, a 6K and 8K screen would be overkill, that's better for the content creators.

6K and 8K will actually serve a purpose for theaters, IMAX, video production and still photography. For video production, it will serve well in order to downsample an 8K image from a CMOS sensor to a relatively clean 4K image for final delivery to a 4K screen. I personally would like to use 8K for some of my visual effects work, it would help a lot for tracking, rotoscoping and the green screen.

Upvote 0
crazyrunner33 said:
unfocused said:

4K is the new broadcast standard, ATSC 3.0 and it'll be a global standard, no more worry about PAL and weird frame rates. 4K is also slowly becoming the standard resolution for phones, tablets, TVs, laptops and computers. For consumers, the biggest benefit of 4K is reduced aliasing. However, a 6K and 8K screen would be overkill, that's better for the content creators.

6K and 8K will actually serve a purpose for theaters, IMAX, video production and still photography. For video production, it will serve well in order to downsample an 8K image from a CMOS sensor to a relatively clean 4K image for final delivery to a 4K screen. I personally would like to use 8K for some of my visual effects work, it would help a lot for tracking, rotoscoping and the green screen.

Or no more worry about Never The Same Colour and it's totally regular frame rate of 29.97, so regular and easy to work with that it requires a dropped frame once every 10 minutes.

Yes, plain old 25fps is so tricky to engineer for in comparison. But of course its the half of the world that uses PAL who is out of step, never the yanks. Here's a reminder... we invented the blooming telly.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Tinky said:
Or no more worry about Never The Same Colour and it's totally regular frame rate of 29.97, so regular and easy to work with that it requires a dropped frame once every 10 minutes.

Yes, plain old 25fps is so tricky to engineer for in comparison. But of course its the half of the world that uses PAL who is out of step, never the yanks. Here's a reminder... we invented the blooming telly.
Oh, my thoughts. ;D Except I didn't now NTSC used 29,97fps :eek: I suppose it can use exactly 30fps too?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Tinky said:
And your point?.... The Never The Same Colour bit was a jokey expansion on the acronym by BBC engineers. Sorry if the joke was lost. Maybe I should have put a smiley face at the end for context.
:)

We also called it Never The Same Color on the west side of the Atlantic...

Upvote 0