Portable speedlight modifier suggestions

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
neuroanatomist said:
Lastolite Ezybox Speedlite.

+1

There are small shoot-through umbrella that can be hand held, but in tight spaces you lose control of the reflections. Black-backed umbrella are best held behind you (unless you've got long arms made of rubber instead of bone and muscle) which get tricky to aim and having them behind you necessitates even larger umbrella to get the same softness.

Foldable softboxes are better as long as they are well constructed. The ezybox is.

Upvote 0
Ezybox if you will be putting it on a stand, flashbender (+diffusion panel) if you'll be waving it around by hand.

I also recommend you do not underestimate the versatility of the bare flash and you should spend some time experimenting with that. Look up Damien Lovegrove for examples of what one bare flash (occasionally two) can do in portrait work.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
sanjosedave said:
The Neewer 9x12 reviews on Amazon report that how it attaches to the speedlight is poor, to ok, at best.

The Neewer is so cheap it's almost free so I got one to try. What a piece of rubbish. Yes, it's a horror to attach, and the light quality/characteristic for portraits & half body, looks awful...harsh brutal light. I put it straight in the bin. ???

Maybe the OP should check out the now rather famous Black Foamy Thing...
https://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/

-pw

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Pookie said:
neuroanatomist said:
Lastolite Ezybox Speedlite.

Probably the best suggestion here... highly recommend it. I have the small and larger versions. If you're in SJ, California I have a couple very lightly used that I could part with. PM if interested. I don't shoot with speedlites these days...

Not sure of the OP's needs. Can these be used on-camera?

-pw

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Lastolite-EzyBox-Speed-Lite-on-Speedlight.jpg

pwp said:
Not sure of the OP's needs. Can these be used on-camera?

-pw

Upvote 0