Portrait session in Saigon, girls in traditional outfits (Ao Dai)

H

Hobby Shooter

Last week I did my first portrait session ever. I went down to Saigon and my objective was to capture traditional images of girls in their traditional Ao Dai outfits. My friend was gracious enough to let his daughter model for me and she also brought her friend. I had scouted a few sites where I wanted to go as I wanted old buildings and surroundings. Time only allowed us to go to two of those sites.

I went at this as a learning experience, I read as much as possible on how to direct models, planning the scenes, trying to picture some perspectives I wanted etc. I felt prepared going in to it.

I have to say that after this I have learned alot and my respect for you professionals has grown even more. It was not a walk in the park to work through the session. I found myself being a bit apprehensive and sometimes not sure of what I wanted. A couple of scenes that we shot I caught perfectly only to find that I had forgotten to adjust the settings so the pictures were just blurry although the colours and light came out exactly the way I wanted. The girls though are used to posing for pictures and they were really fun to work with so it turned out to be a success anyway. I would say that in terms of the result meeting my expectations it was a 7 out of 10, my work as a photographer was a 4 out of 10 and the girls work were a 10 out of 10.

With this one day session behind me I really look forward to the next one. It was a fun and learning experience and I wouldn't want to have had it any other way.

Attachments

• small.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,662
H

Hobby Shooter

blaydese said:
Very nice, look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for share.

Also, what gear / lens / settings did you use?

Peace! 8)
Hi, thanks. Will send you a link to more of those pictures.

I use a 5D MkIII and I have 3 L-lenses that I used for this session, the 35L, the 24-105L and the 70-200 f/2.8, IS MkII. Settings, that's where I failed on some of the pictures although I was working hard not to.

thanks
J

Upvote 0