Post your HDR images:

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
198
0
7 images shot with 7D + EF-S 17-85 at 24mm, ISO 100, f/16. Shutter speed varied in one-stop steps from -3 to +3 EV

Goal was to get natural-looking result with details in the shadows on the right while keeping brightly lit sandstone shoreline from getting blown out
 

Attachments

2n10

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 25, 2012
640
0
56
Sparks, NV
fotoray said:
7 images shot with 7D + EF-S 17-85 at 24mm, ISO 100, f/16. Shutter speed varied in one-stop steps from -3 to +3 EV

Goal was to get natural-looking result with details in the shadows on the right while keeping brightly lit sandstone shoreline from getting blown out
You succeeded magnificently. What program did you use for the 7 shots?
 

cayenne

EOR R
Mar 28, 2012
2,203
280
Quasimodo said:
@!ex said:
A new one from last weekend. This one has 18+ stops of DR.


End of the Road by @!ex, on Flickr
This one is great. Great handling of the range, without the oversaturation that I think many of these type of shots normally get. How and where can you see the DR range (since you mention 18+)?
Also..what software did you use to put this together?

cayenne
 

@!ex

EOS RP
Mar 20, 2012
295
0
38
Denver, CO
www.flickr.com
Quasimodo said:
@!ex said:
A new one from last weekend. This one has 18+ stops of DR.


End of the Road by @!ex, on Flickr
This one is great. Great handling of the range, without the oversaturation that I think many of these type of shots normally get. How and where can you see the DR range (since you mention 18+)?
Thanks for the compliments. I guess I shouldn't really say 18 stops of DR because it is actually probably more than that, but I can say 18 stops of EV because i know that I bracketed 7 shots at 3 ev spacing per shot. -9,-6,-3,0,+3,+6,+9, and -9to+9 would 18 stops. As for software, photomatix and photoshop.
 

cayenne

EOR R
Mar 28, 2012
2,203
280
@!ex said:
Quasimodo said:
@!ex said:
A new one from last weekend. This one has 18+ stops of DR.


End of the Road by @!ex, on Flickr
This one is great. Great handling of the range, without the oversaturation that I think many of these type of shots normally get. How and where can you see the DR range (since you mention 18+)?
Thanks for the compliments. I guess I shouldn't really say 18 stops of DR because it is actually probably more than that, but I can say 18 stops of EV because i know that I bracketed 7 shots at 3 ev spacing per shot. -9,-6,-3,0,+3,+6,+9, and -9to+9 would 18 stops. As for software, photomatix and photoshop.
I'm curious if you wouldn't mind going into a bit more detail.

I was looking mostly before at things like photomatix and other apps...to do HDR...that just basically overlaid the images...and you had some basic controls on how to blend them over the whole image...but not in targeted areas.

I've seen a tutorial on youtube..showing one guy that used photoshop...and he was taking each image of the HDR bracket set...and making each one into layers I think...and that way..was kind of 'painting' them into the main image...for instance I'd say he would have done that to regulate the light coming in from the window...but another image for the interior....with mattes and windows on each area...etc.

Is that how you use photoshop on these.....

Would you mind going into a bit more detail of your workflow on these...they really are amazing and I'd love as a noob to get some info on how you processed these.

One area I was thinking HDR would be GREAT...would be for real estate imaging...for a picture of a room...you could get the room exposure right, and 'fix' overblown lights from the window in a targeted manner...etc.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
 

@!ex

EOS RP
Mar 20, 2012
295
0
38
Denver, CO
www.flickr.com
cayenne said:
@!ex said:
Quasimodo said:
@!ex said:
A new one from last weekend. This one has 18+ stops of DR.


End of the Road by @!ex, on Flickr


This one is great. Great handling of the range, without the oversaturation that I think many of these type of shots normally get. How and where can you see the DR range (since you mention 18+)?
Thanks for the compliments. I guess I shouldn't really say 18 stops of DR because it is actually probably more than that, but I can say 18 stops of EV because i know that I bracketed 7 shots at 3 ev spacing per shot. -9,-6,-3,0,+3,+6,+9, and -9to+9 would 18 stops. As for software, photomatix and photoshop.
I'm curious if you wouldn't mind going into a bit more detail.

I was looking mostly before at things like photomatix and other apps...to do HDR...that just basically overlaid the images...and you had some basic controls on how to blend them over the whole image...but not in targeted areas.

I've seen a tutorial on youtube..showing one guy that used photoshop...and he was taking each image of the HDR bracket set...and making each one into layers I think...and that way..was kind of 'painting' them into the main image...for instance I'd say he would have done that to regulate the light coming in from the window...but another image for the interior....with mattes and windows on each area...etc.

Is that how you use photoshop on these.....

Would you mind going into a bit more detail of your workflow on these...they really are amazing and I'd love as a noob to get some info on how you processed these.

One area I was thinking HDR would be GREAT...would be for real estate imaging...for a picture of a room...you could get the room exposure right, and 'fix' overblown lights from the window in a targeted manner...etc.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne
First off thanks for the compliments. HDR (used right) is a great tool for real estate (I shoot it for my realtor girlfriend all the time). As for my workflow, it really depends on the images, but I definitely use both techniques you describe above. I mask in parts of the original images as well as tonemap and exposure fuse. Each techniques has its pros and cons, and I find that combining all three, along with everything else photoshop can do gives me the best results. I don't really love trey ratcliffs cartoony style, but his basic workflow is a pretty good place to start, as he goes over some of the concepts I mentioned above. I think he even has a free tutorial on his website. Check it out. http://www.stuckincustoms.com/learn-photography/

Here is another shot from last weekend, with all the above concepts applied.


Sunset on a season by @!ex, on Flickr