Post your HDR images:

HDR: First Pano was made of 45 images (5 exposure and 9 setups at 2EV spacing)
Second Pano was made of 25 images (5 exposures and 5 setups at 2EV spacing)
Third was made of 3 exposures at 2EV spacing
Forth was made of 5 exposures at 2EV spacing

Attachments

• Maine-Lake.jpg
    Maine-Lake.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 4,181
  • Sandy-Stream-Pond.jpg
    Sandy-Stream-Pond.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 4,102
  • Sunset-3.jpg
    Sunset-3.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 4,086
  • Louisa-Howard-Chapel.jpg
    Louisa-Howard-Chapel.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 4,150
Upvote 0
J

jgunduck

OBX sunrise

8978HDR-XL.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Here's a single shot HDR from one raw file, the only way I like to do them. This is a bit more processed than I'd normally do, I prefer a more realistic look.

Done primarily with ACR 7.x in Photoshop and a little NIK software tweak to provide more of the typical HDR look by adjusting local contrast.
Original is included, straight from DPP, no adjustments.
Shot with 60D in manual mode.

Attachments

• IMG_2690hdr'.jpg
    IMG_2690hdr'.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 3,786
  • IMG_2690orig'.JPG
    IMG_2690orig'.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 3,979
Upvote 0
girod199 said:
My first attempts at HDR... I processed in Photoshop CS5. It is very difficult to make anything that looks "real" with Photoshop's HDR processing.

They have potential. I'd reduce exposure a bit and maybe increase contrast or combo of both. One thing that makes photographs look real is some black clipping needed... HDR's expose everthing, that seems unnatural to some people.

I did a 3 minute PP on it... not sure if it looks better to you... but the idea was to make it a bit more natural.

Attachments

• hdr2.jpg
    hdr2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3,659
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
K-amps said:
girod199 said:
My first attempts at HDR... I processed in Photoshop CS5. It is very difficult to make anything that looks "real" with Photoshop's HDR processing.

They have potential. I'd reduce exposure a bit and maybe increase contrast or combo of both. One thing that makes photographs look real is some black clipping needed... HDR's expose everthing, that seems unnatural to some people.

I did a 3 minute PP on it... not sure if it looks better to you... but the idea was to make it a bit more natural.

yup, off to a pretty good start.
PS is not quite as easy to use for HDR as specialized SW but it's flexible, even when combining multiple bracketed images.
Messing with the tone-mapping you CAN create a fairly photographically realistic looking image by keeping the DR compression to reasonable amounts; there are a few ways to do that. All depends on how "cooked" you like your HDR final image to look.

I still prefer to expose to retain hilite detail then push all the shadows in post using one good raw file.. but that requires using a very noise-free camera system like, dare I repeat myself yet again, a D800 or D5100. In the same area as the shot above I took another one of a charred black tree, with the charcoal parts in the shade. I shot it with both the 60D and a D800. I can make a "realistic" HDR from either shot but with the D800 there is far more crisp textural detail in the dark areas because no noise reduction is required and I can still lift the darkest areas much more if desired without seeing pattern noise like the 60D produces.

Upvote 0