Post your HDR images:

candyman said:
mackguyver said:
Finally getting some decent results out of my HDR work:

Very nice work Ian. This is with the new 11-24?
Thanks and no, haven't had much time to play with the new one yet - the top is the 16-35 f/4 IS and the bottom is the TS-E 17 f/4.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Finally getting some decent results out of my HDR work:

I agree, these are beautiful shots. One of my criteria for nice results with HDR is not being able to tell HDR processing was used- both of your shots look very "natural" and not over processed. Would you mind sharing your technique? Are you manually blending in photoshop or using a plugin?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
I just had a thought; since the 1dx doesn't do in camera HDR, will it work to use muktiexposure and exposure bracketing at the same time do to a HDR that turns out as a raw file?
I haven't played with that much on the 1D X, but I'm looking at the manual and I'm really surprised to see that the "result" is saved as a RAW file. That's really interesting and I'll have to play with that, particularly because you can merge photos that are already on the CF card. It's not designed for HDR, but it's worth a try.

jrda2 said:
I agree, these are beautiful shots. One of my criteria for nice results with HDR is not being able to tell HDR processing was used- both of your shots look very "natural" and not over processed. Would you mind sharing your technique? Are you manually blending in photoshop or using a plugin?
Thanks
Thanks, jrda2! I have always found the act of "tone mapping" very frustrating with all of the HDR packages on the market, but recently discovered that PhotoShop lets you adjust the HDR merge with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), just like a RAW file. I have been playing with Adobe's built-in Merge to HDR Pro, Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2, and Photomatix. For this purpose (the exposure merge), they all seem equivalent, but Adobe's ghost reduction is not very good, Nik's is quite for some stuff, but not everything, and Photomatix is the best and most adjustable. Once I get the 32-bit blend, I use ACR to do the adjustments (tone mapping). I'm still experimenting a bit with what can and can't be done, but the general technique is as follows:

1. Open bracketed photos in ACR
2. Select all photos, use camera profile to correct distortion, vignetting, CA, etc. (unfortunately you can only do this pre-merge).
3. Open files
4. Goto Automate>Merge to HDR Pro (or HDR Efex Pro 2, Photomatix)
5. If using the built-in Merge to HDR Pro, I select 32-bit and then click to use Camera Raw
6. I use the sliders in ACR as if I were editing a RAW file until I get a natural-looking result
7. Save the 32-bit file, which has Camera Raw applied as a Smart Filter, meaning I can go back and edit
8. Goto Image>Duplicate to create a copy of the photo
9. Goto Image>Mode>16-bit
10. When the dialog comes up, choose Exposure and Gamma option from the Method drop down menu.
11. Save 16-bit file.

You can also goto Filter>Convert to Smart Object to make this one and then use the Camera Raw filter to tweak the photo in 16-bit mode.

I've got a new website I'm just starting to put together, maybe I will use this as the first tutorial once I figure out the best workflow.

Upvote 0
This is a 4-shot pano taken from a famous Yosemite parking lot! Each shot was bracketed +/- 3 stops to overcome the limited DR of Canon's sensor technology, I prefer more "natural" looking HDR.

I had taken a 180 ft fall while rock climbing halfdome a couple days earlier, I was very appreciative of how easy this view is to access.

(5D Mk III, 85mm f/1.2)

Attachments

• Yosemite at Dawn.jpg
    Yosemite at Dawn.jpg
    808.3 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
LOALTD said:
This is a 4-shot pano taken from a famous Yosemite parking lot! Each shot was bracketed +/- 3 stops to overcome the limited DR of Canon's sensor technology, I prefer more "natural" looking HDR.

I had taken a 180 ft fall while rock climbing halfdome a couple days earlier, I was very appreciative of how easy this view is to access.

(5D Mk III, 85mm f/1.2)

And what, pray tell, sensor technology gives you the 18 or so stops of DR you recorded? You bracketed 6 stops, even the most fervent member of the Exmor congregation don't claim much more than 2 stops over Canon, and even then only at low iso, which you did, at least, use.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
LOALTD said:

(5D Mk III, 85mm f/1.2)

And what, pray tell, sensor technology gives you the 18 or so stops of DR you recorded? You bracketed 6 stops, even the most fervent member of the Exmor congregation don't claim much more than 2 stops over Canon, and even then only at low iso, which you did, at least, use.

None! 18 stops wasn't necessary though. I just find I get better results from bracketing +/- 3 rather than +/- 2.

A single shot, most certainly would not have done it (I tried, not a fan of the lovely Canon banding).

I sometimes demo Nikon and Sony cameras, and I rarely need HDR on those setups. If you enjoy Canon's DR, more power to you! Some folks thrive when they are given limitations, I am lazy.

Unfortunately, I'm far too invested in Canon to switch camps. In the type of shooting I do, I am often limited by the DR, because tripod is not always practical on an alpine climb. Luckily I was able to limp 40 ft from the car to this viewpoint.

I find it amusing when people say things like "only 2 or 3 stops". Y'all know stops are logarithmic, not linear, right?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
"A single shot, most certainly would not have done it (I tried, not a fan of the lovely Canon banding).

I sometimes demo Nikon and Sony cameras, and I rarely need HDR on those setups. If you enjoy Canon's DR, more power to you! Some folks thrive when they are given limitations, I am lazy. "

Unless you show us some comparative 32bit histograms I'll assume that is just trolling hyperbole.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
LOALTD said:
I find it amusing when people say things like "only 2 or 3 stops". Y'all know stops are logarithmic, not linear, right?

I'm sorry, I missed that bit.

You do know that digital capture is linear right? And that it is then converted to a logarithmic scale by applying a gamma curve? And that has to be done because your eye processes that logarithmic scale as a linear one? Ever wonder why midtone is 18% and not 50%?

Upvote 0