Posts disappearing or not loading

CR Backup Admin said:
I checked the 200-400mm topic in the lens gallery, and something is definitely wrong. I see nothing at all, so there must be some corruption in the database. It will have to be rebuilt I think.

I'll let CR guy know about the issue, he has some support people who only take orders for things like that from him.

Ok I appreciate that, and all the time everyone behind the scenes puts into this.

Jim

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
I'm back online again. A big thunderstorm rolled thru and knocked out both my wireless provider, and then Qwest DSL. A reboot of the radio to pickup a new IP from the wireless provider fixed that, Qwest is alive, but does not let me actually communicate over the internet. My Router is not able to detect that (I need to change the settings to enable a watchdog), so it was not switching over to the good service.

Upvote 0
CR Backup Admin said:
I checked the 200-400mm topic in the lens gallery, and something is definitely wrong. I see nothing at all, so there must be some corruption in the database. It will have to be rebuilt I think.

I'll let CR guy know about the issue, he has some support people who only take orders for things like that from him.

A post quote from the “Small or Large Thumbnails – Poll” thread......
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=22158.0

tolusina said:
Jim Saunders said:
..... As an aside, am I the only one to see threads with pages which wouldn't load? I had a look at the "we the photographers" thread and about half the pages only came up blank - no content but no 404 either.......
I found the same on the Cars cars cars (and some bikes) thread.
I tried to back up one page to 15, got a white page. Tried clicking through from page one, got as far as page 10, can't see anything between 11 and 15.

Just now, I went back to the cars/bikes thread, page 11 returns a blank page as does page 15 .

All other pages of that thread load fine.
I as well as others have noticed the same behavior on several threads.

- - -
Another site complaint I'd like to air regards the width of the text entry field for quick reply at the bottom of each thread page.
That field is extremely wide, no issue on desktop, most annoying on mobile.
To quantify that width, I just copy/pasted a repeating text string on alternating 'i's and 'w's (narrowest and widest) as …....iwiwiwiwiw....... until a second line began, copy pasted the result from one line into a .doc, word count shows 776 characters wide.
Um, sorry, I'm only able to describe this oddity, I'm at a loss regarding possible causes and/or solutions.
- - -
Er, a First World problem for sure, I'm delighted to live in an environment that makes it possible to bother about such things rather than having to continually worry about nut job fanatics, famine, Ebola and other human miseries.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
FIXED: Posts disappearing or not loading

Sam, the CR tech guy fixed it.

It was not something simple like cleaning up the database, but he eventually figured it out. It turned out to be a combination of bugs in the forum firmware (upgraded to latest version now), and limitations on the size of pages. My allowing 10 large thumbnails probably is responsible for exceeded the memory settings on pages, so he figured that out and overrode the settings to allow for larger pages.

Upvote 0
Re: FIXED: Posts disappearing or not loading

CR Backup Admin said:
Sam, the CR tech guy fixed it.

It was not something simple like cleaning up the database, but he eventually figured it out. It turned out to be a combination of bugs in the forum firmware (upgraded to latest version now), and limitations on the size of pages. My allowing 10 large thumbnails probably is responsible for exceeded the memory settings on pages, so he figured that out and overrode the settings to allow for larger pages.

Kudos for finding and fixing that!

Jim

Upvote 0