Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1]

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
My five year old 6D (launched in 2012) still produce excellent prictures. And with my one year old EF 24-70 L f/2.8 USM, I am staying with DSLR and EF mount for a while. My plan is still that the next upgrade will be a 5D mkIV or a 5D mkV (depending on budget) - and wait entering the "R and RF world" another 5+ years.
I think Canon got i all right. Very good (and expensive) lenses launched before more pro bodies. I would love to se a real 5D mk IV / mkV equvalent in a "R" body, even that I probably will stay with EF cameras for years to come..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
A pretty big segment of the market is wedding/event photographers. Canon needs to release a pro-body mirrorless soon before this segment jumps ship to Sony.

When wedding photographers switch to Canon mirrorless, most will migrate to new RF lenses. So there is not too much of a financial barrier switching to a whole new eco-system, such as Sony. Either way, photographers will be purchasing new camera bodies and new lenses.

Also, it makes good sense to sell EF lenses sooner than later. As photographers move to mirrorless and Canon releases more RF lens options, the price of used EF lenses will likely erode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...When wedding photographers switch to Canon mirrorless, most will migrate to new RF lenses. So there is not too much of a financial barrier switching to a whole new eco-system, such as Sony. Either way, photographers will be purchasing new camera bodies and new lenses.

Except that their whole selection of Canon lenses work perfectly on the R system, so there is no pressure or rush to switch mounts. Many may buy new RP lenses to replace aging EF lenses in their kits, but that's a slow, gradual transition.

Also, it makes good sense to sell EF lenses sooner than later. As photographers move to mirrorless and Canon releases more RF lens options, the price of used EF lenses will likely erode.

Please provide a list of your EF lenses. I will offer you 10 cents on the dollar.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
These rumored specs sound pretty good. I'm skeptical about CF Express and the 12 fps. Once again, the real proof will be in the ergonomics and autofocus. I really like the R, but feel it has a long way to go before it can reliably shoot anything that requires 12 fps. So, I will be waiting to see what other improvements Canon may offer.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
If they go one CFE and one UHS-II SD then people who don't want to upgrade cards can go as cheap as running a single UHS-I card for $10. Or you can max out performance (in camera and at the computer) by just using the CFE (maybe jpeg backup to SD if you need backup depending on how that affect overall buffer and write performance). If you need RAW mirroring then you are no worse off than dual SD.

I think for this price point of camera, CFE/SD is the ideal solution to please the majority of users.

Yeah—As annoying as it is, it really does hit a lot of use cases w/o a ton of drawbacks
- Doesn't limit the camera in terms of max option video codecs
- Gives people who want fast transfer to their PC that option
- Supports the RAW+JPG use case that's super super common
- Still can use dirt cheap media if that's your jam

If you need max bit rate video to both cards, or are going to be shooting max FPS and want raw to both cards, etc—you're likely in CX00 or 1DX3 territory

Upvote 0
The advantages are of BSI are not dependent on sensor size but pixel size. If your FF sensor has enough MPs the improvement will be just as noticeable.
agreed, I just wasn't that clear about it. you're not going to see much difference with this camera (which is 32MP according to rumor) versus a 32MP asp-c camera for instance, and even then, Canon's pretty much caught up to BSI designs without going BSI.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
With 24 MP 10 FPS it certainly does not nearly match a 32 MP 12 FPS body. It will be very interesting to see if the current bodies are so cheap because they are the first iteration and compensate for their lack of cutting edge tech with these prices to draw in an initial RF crowd... Or if the claimed cost benefits of mirrorless over SLR are actually real.

More megapickles is not necessarily better. If you’ve done any amount of enthusiast level photography this should be common knowledge. Ultimately, you have to wait and compare IQ after the camera comes out. For example, the 20.1 MP sensor in my D7500 easily beats my a6100 24 MP when it comes to IQ.

Really hope they nail the IBIS, combine it with lens IS and digital stabilization in one smooth system. Blurry pictures should be made history. If these specs are right, this will be a mainstay of pros and advanced amateurs for years. And I'll be able to get one around 2023, refurb, during the holiday sale.

The IS in their RF glass is already ridiculously good. If you could stack IBIS with it in the R2, you’d have to try to get a blurry image on purpose. Going back through some EOS R test shots, I had to do a double take on this one because I shot it at half a second handheld on the new 24-105 but it’s as sharp as if I’d shot it at 1/100 or higher.

0Z6A0029.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If something like this hits the market at or around the same price that the EOS R came out at, then I could see this in many peoples hands. This seems like the camera I thought Canon would come out with on the first try. Can't wait to for this and then hopefully a high resolution version.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Except that their whole selection of Canon lenses work perfectly on the R system, so there is no pressure or rush to switch mounts. Many may buy new RP lenses to replace aging EF lenses in their kits, but that's a slow, gradual transition.

Please provide a list of your EF lenses. I will offer you 10 cents on the dollar.
True. However, wedding/event photographers are very competitive. Generally, they will move quickly to new mirrorless glass that offers superior IQ, AF or functionality. Adapters are an inconvenience that run and gun pros will hope to avoid. For working pros, EF legacy glass will be less of a factor when making a move from DSLR to mirrorless. Look at the superb and expensive RF lenses. Canon know this.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Actually, I would like to see the new R body be full size like my 5D III/5DS. Besides the comfort and ergonomics for big hands, it would win over a lot of current 5D series users. I also have the M5 and it's a great little camera except for the ergonomics. The other alternative is split the 5D line with a mirrorless EF mount. Call it the 5D-M.

+1. I'd love the full 5D grip and the thumb wheel.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
All I want is the Canon version of the A7R4. Give me sufficient speed, high megapixels, and an effective crop mode. Wouldn’t it be nice to replace the 5DS and 7Dii in one go?

Canon heretofore in SLR wanted two $3k 'top level' non-gripped cameras. They want you to buy two cameras: one for high speed and one for detail.

I've just always had a beef that 5D3 and 5D4 was never given enough stills throughput to make the 5D# series seem comparable to the 5DS to those who want to maximize speed for $3k.

So a new spec of 32 x 12 for the 5D5* -- if real, if the fine print is minimal, AF works/tracks/etc. without dropping that 12 fps figure -- would go a long way to carving out a unique space that neither the 1DX3 nor 5DS2 will ever encroach. 1DX3 folks would never have the 5D5's detail, and the 5DS2 camp might get 60-70 MP but only a modest 6 fps or so.
(*I'm presuming the 5D5 and EOS R2 will be similarly spec'd with the mirror flipped up. That may be a bad assumption.)

So this pricier end of the FF lineup (leaving the 6D3 and RP line out of this)...
1DX3: 20 x 20​
5D5 / EOS R2: 32 x 12​
5DS2 (if ever made) / EOS 'RS': 60-70 x 6​

...Is one way both 5D#/5DS lines can argue for top gripless pricing without fear of one eating the other as the clear top dog.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
if the lens released by canon for the RF mount in future are as good as the ones released already... I will also swap from EF eventually.

From what we've seen thus far, RF lenses appear to be pretty fantastic.

...if you don't mind focus by wire. I'm sad to see FTM mechanical focusing go away, but EF still has that and I can use that with an adaptor.

Honestly, given how well the EF adaptors are working, lens quality for RF is not really a variable I think about with the decision to buy an RF mount body. Sure, sweet new RF lenses are great, but provided the RF platform bodies deliver the features I want and handle my EF lenses natively, all I need to focus on is how well the bodies fit my needs. If the RF lenses are not what I want, I'll just slap on EF. Easy peasy.

So when I migrate from my 5D3 to EOS R2 or RS or R3 (or just add a mirrorless body to my collection of gear), the decision will 99% be about the body. There is no floor that will drop out on useage of my EF lenses, and there is no mandate to go through a painful conversion of selling my EF gear to get into this system. In that light, it's a one-time $3000-ish price to get in rather than a whole lot more were I to move to a competitive platform.

So Canon will get me into mirrorless, but not necessarily soon. I'm not ready to make the move. I'm principally looking for a higher res sensor, a latest gen on-chip sensor, and 5D ergonomics. But I'm hopeful that camera (or something close to it) will eventually surface.

- A

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
So Canon will get me into mirrorless, but not necessarily soon. I'm not ready to make the move. I'm principally looking for a higher res sensor, a latest gen on-chip sensor, and 5D ergonomics. But I'm hopeful that camera (or something close to it) will eventually surface.
Not sure you'll ever see this - I think they see the current R 'profile' (or something similar) as a compromise between FF DSLRs and the mirrorless dream of smaller/lighter. The nearest might be the eventual 1D-equivalent, but that could be a year or two away. I went from a 6D (obviously smaller than the 5D series) to the EOS R, and while noticeable at first, it didn't take long to adapt. Would I still like it slightly bigger, yes, but does it really bug me - nope.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
From what we've seen thus far, RF lenses appear to be pretty fantastic.

...if you don't mind focus by wire. I'm sad to see FTM mechanical focusing go away, but EF still has that and I can use that with an adaptor.

Honestly, given how well the EF adaptors are working, lens quality for RF is not really a variable I think about with the decision to buy an RF mount body. Sure, sweet new RF lenses are great, but provided the RF platform bodies deliver the features I want and handle my EF lenses natively, all I need to focus on is how well the bodies fit my needs. If the RF lenses are not what I want, I'll just slap on EF. Easy peasy.

So when I migrate from my 5D3 to EOS R2 or RS or R3 (or just add a mirrorless body to my collection of gear), the decision will 99% be about the body. There is no floor that will drop out on useage of my EF lenses, and there is no mandate to go through a painful conversion of selling my EF gear to get into this system. In that light, it's a one-time $3000-ish price to get in rather than a whole lot more were I to move to a competitive platform.

- A
My thoughts (and gear) exactly.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
32mp is fine for me. I hope it's BSI, but it's not required.
IBIS is great to hear. It is a must for me.
12fps is great (and more than I'd hope for).
1 SD card slot & 1 CFexpress slot is great enough for me. I'll shoot raw to CFexpress and use the SD for backup somehow.
No crop 4K video with DPAF is great (it's about time).
No RAW video is OK for me (I'm not much into video).
5mp EVF is great!!! I'm so looking forward to a better EVF.

I assume it will have fully articulating back LCD (which is a *must* for me). It would be nice if that LCD was higher res or bigger.
I assume it will have good eye tracking AF, at least somewhat comparable to Sony.
I assume it will have better hand-holding ergonomics and a more intuitive menu system than Sony.
If all of this is done, I do think I will buy one and their RF 70-200mm f2.8 zoom to finally step into FF as my 2nd system.

The 5mp EVF is great, but you also need a fast refresh rate to keep up with fast moving subjects. The slow refresh is one of the reasons that I don't like the current R. There is a definite lag when shooting something like a fast moving tennis player or trying to track the ball to catch it on the strings.

Upvote 0
aphers will be purchasing new camera bodies and new lenses.

When you have adapters that work as well as they do for EF > RF I doubt the prices will fall much at all for EF glass

EF mount cameras on the other hand.....

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I've been getting quite a lot of great feedback concerning the upgrade path from the 5D3 to the R lately. I have yet to make the move and have gotten close a few times. But and yes, it's a nice big fat but. The ergonomics don't do it for me. I visited a very nice shop yesterday and they allowed me to play with one and a few lenses, both EF and RF to my hearts content.
It was just too small! It's really not that much bigger than an M5 and although the grip is large enough in relation to the rest of the body, it's a not a large handed persons camera, imho.

I don't mind the lack of IBIS, how many card slots, evf lag (although much better than any I have used-Oly and M5) and all that. I do like the image quality I saw on the review, I like the touch and drag and I liked the same same battery as what I use and own.

I'm not hung up on lens vs body sizes just how my mitts grip the camera itself while imagining having a handstrap attached. I won't shoot any other way.

So I wait. But, I get some of you like it, it's a very nice camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
When you have adapters that work as well as they do for EF > RF I doubt the prices will fall much at all for EF glass

EF mount cameras on the other hand.....

Spot on. Consider:

Stories like this will possibly hasten folks migrating from an EF to RF body, but it definitely will hurt EF body resale more than if they hadn't made this public statement.

Also, that statement is probably undermining future 'nicer' EF body (say 90D and up) sales as well. Right now, it's probably not a big deal -- everything in EF is still being built, sold and serviced, and any lens you buy will work on RF. But in (say) 2-3 years, why would you voluntarily buy an SLR if the EF portfolio is never going to improve, get refreshed for the high res future, etc.?

- A

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
12 fps would be an incredible upgrade from one body to the next:cool:

5mp EVF too... this could be the killer R everybody was waiting for. Sounds good to me!
So Viggo, are you a buyer or are you going to keep building the lens stable? Decisions, decisions. My pockets ain't as deep as they need to be. :( I'll have to stick with glass for a while. For portraits, I am happy with the R for now. But I want it!

Upvote 0