Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
According to these tests, Z7 is very well weather-sealed, but EOS R is not.
Where does it say that? I'm not sure how you could read the article and conclude the EOS R is not well sealed.

Overall, the EOS R seems quite well-sealed against the weather. It passed our standard 35-minute "heavy rain" test with flying colors, and even maintained full functionality of its touch-screen and the eye-detection sensor for its electronic viewfinder throughout. Beyond that, it stood up to 50 minutes of the same soaking the day after, impressive given that its gaskets would already have been pretty wet from the first day's test. And even after this extreme soaking, it returned to full functioning after just overnight drying.

Upvote 0
A pretty big segment of the market is wedding/event photographers. Canon needs to release a pro-body mirrorless soon before this segment jumps ship to Sony.

When wedding photographers switch to Canon mirrorless, most will migrate to new RF lenses. So there is not too much of a financial barrier switching to a whole new eco-system, such as Sony. Either way, photographers will be purchasing new camera bodies and new lenses.

Also, it makes good sense to sell EF lenses sooner than later. As photographers move to mirrorless and Canon releases more RF lens options, the price of used EF lenses will likely erode.

Sell an EF lens and get an RF one? And what should we use with our 5DIV as a backup? This scenario does not simply work, unless you switch fully to RF including a backup body, or you keep your EF, which you can use on both?

Upvote 0
How does this even make sense for writing to both cards simultaneously if one of the card writes newly 10 times faster than another? At 12 FPS and presumably 30Mb per an average RAW file that's 360Mb/s....

With our 5DIV, we use one card for RAW and second card for the jpegs as an emergency. Sounds good enough to us ...

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Where does it say that? I'm not sure how you could read the article and conclude the EOS R is not well sealed.
If you follow the link about Z7 from that article, you will see that the Z7 passes the second day test, which the EOS R fails. Which means that the weather sealing of EOS R might be improved to match (some of) the competition. Which means that EOS R is not very well sealed.

This statistics from the article itself (only 2 data points) doesn't allow to decide whether EOS R is well sealed compared to the competition in general. Personally, for my usage patterns, if I need a weather-sealed camera, I need it for several days in a row. YMMV, of course.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If you follow the link about Z7 from that article, you will see that the Z7 passes the second day test, which the EOS R fails. Which means that the weather sealing of EOS R might be improved to match (some of) the competition. Which means that EOS R is not very well sealed.

This statistics from the article itself (only 2 data points) doesn't allow to decide whether EOS R is well sealed compared to the competition in general. Personally, for my usage patterns, if I need a weather-sealed camera, I need it for several days in a row. YMMV, of course.
That's really a stretch, but whatever...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
When you have adapters that work as well as they do for EF > RF I doubt the prices will fall much at all for EF glass

EF mount cameras on the other hand.....
Sell an EF lens and get an RF one? And what should we use with our 5DIV as a backup? This scenario does not simply work, unless you switch fully to RF including a backup body, or you keep your EF, which you can use on both?
Wedding/event pros will transition to mirrorless. A DSLR backup will be stop gap and a pain. Pros will be driven to mirrorless by IQ and features. If Canon produces the right mirrorless camera to compliment the incredible RF glass, lots of 5D4s and EF glass will hit the used market....cheap.

Upvote 0
A few thoughts:
  • Might EOS R2 come out simultaneously with the 5D5?
  • Do folks really think Canon will potentially undermine 1DX3 sales with a 12 fps rig at half price (or less)? I recognize they have the stills throughput potential to move 32 x 14 from the M6 Mark II, but that's a massive bump from the original EOS R. Seems a little too good to be true to me.
  • IBIS = cool (if true). We all could use it and seemingly everyone (not shooting howitzer superwhites) has been asking for it for some time. That plus solid peaking / manual focus assist will make the 'tinkering with older / weirder lenses' camp very happy.
  • Curious how well IBIS would work with existing IS lenses, adapted EF IS lenses, etc. Folks have (to this point) paid extra for lens IS, and if there is a lower price point without IS, the folks who already committed to lens IS may want some performance assurances that the lens IS was not paid for in vain (i.e. that it combines with IBIS to a better effect than if the lens lacked IS).
- A

My humble take on your thoughts:

- Canon might possibly do this if they are truly ready. They have made sure to get the ball rolling with their flagship announcement of the 1DX miii out of the way, and so far, the response from the targeted market has been overwhelmingly positive. Personally, I see them coming through with a blockbuster announcement of both the EOS R ii and the 5Ds mirrorless replacement to keep the momentum going in their favour.

- Personally, I do not think that the announcement of either EOS mirrorless camera will potentially undermine the 1DX iii sales, due in large part to the fact that the professionals that have purchased the earlier versions of the 1DX have been waiting for this, and they will purchase the new version without looking at a mirrorless camera. This will however give the fence-sitters a very good reason to now choose Canon if they were indeed thinking of going to Sony, especially if they were already Canon DSLR users in the past, who wanted to make the jump to mirrorless, myself included.

- IBIS, although not a deal breaker for me, will be an awesome addition.

- I do believe that IBIS, working hand in hand with Canon's already awesome IS glass, will deliver some spectacular results.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Let's say the 5D5 and EOS R2 get (at a really high level) a similar loadout -<snip>

I think my larger question is...if this R sounds like the 5D5 expected equivalent, they why would Canon do a DSLR 5D5 at all, and not just go with the 5DR type thing?

I can see the flagship camera getting one more DSLR run, but after sitting and pondering it, I can't see the value of doing a mirrored 5D5 and not just going straight to a 5D5-R camera and make that mirrorless. That seems it would hit the sweet spot to drive RF Lens sales. The Current R camera is more of a 6D equivalent so that would be the entry to Cannon's FF Mirrorless and the 5D5-R would be the prosumer version and eventually they'd do a 1DX-R equivalent in a couple years.

At least that makes sense to me.

But, what do I know?
:)

cayenne

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I can see the flagship camera getting one more DSLR run, but after sitting and pondering it, I can't see the value of doing a mirrored 5D5 and not just going straight to a 5D5-R camera and make that mirrorless.
Not even giving people the option to stick with DSLR for a while longer may be a too drastic change. And it could give some folks a bad taste of mirrorless, feeling like they are being forced into it instead of trying it out of curiosity and starting to appreciate on their own terms.

There are a lot of people who simply prefer OVF and/or the 5D ergonomics

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
How does this even make sense for writing to both cards simultaneously if one of the card writes newly 10 times faster than another? At 12 FPS and presumably 30Mb per an average RAW file that's 360Mb/s....

Did/Do you write to the CF and SD cards simultaneously on your 5Dx presently?

I always used the SD as a failsafe in case the CF card filled up while in the "head of battle"......I'd never really thought of trying to shoot to both at same time...
But, that's just me....wondering if you presently do with current 5D series and if this is wide spread?

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I don't shoot video, but the lack of posted 4K may be because a ton of people are watching YouTube on their phones, tablets, computers, etc. and 4K doesn't have much penetration there.

That doesn't mean people aren't using video on their ILCs.

- A

Not to mention, that it seems a decent number of people are shooting in 4K (heck even 6K with the BM video cameras)...and cropping down or reframing in post as needed for HD output they send to YouTube.

It has its advantages.

cayenne

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014

When the buffer is full, and can't be emptied to the SD card, fps will drop. It seems the EOS R's UHS-II port can write 180MBps with the right cards, so you could have it drop to 6 FPS.

Upvote 0
This is roughly what I've been waiting for. I have been patiently waiting for several years to upgrade a 6D. I considered going with Sony but have held out hope that something fitting my needs would finally come around from Canon.

I do product photography and while you would think that the rumored Canon 5Ds replacement 60MP+ bodies would make the most sense in this scenario, to me the giant image sizes are just a burden for most projects and require not just upgrading lenses and cards but hardware as well. I honestly wish there was a way for a camera body to have a 60MP or so sensor that you could set to a full-frame half mode so it can run at 30MP when needed.

Upvote 0
Wedding/event pros will transition to mirrorless. A DSLR backup will be stop gap and a pain. Pros will be driven to mirrorless by IQ and features. If Canon produces the right mirrorless camera to compliment the incredible RF glass, lots of 5D4s and EF glass will hit the used market....cheap.

EF glass will not be hitting the market cheap. Not with Canon adapters being so good - and TBH unless you are pixel peeping you almost certainly wont be able to see the difference between RF L and EF L.

That has been one point where Canon has made sure they are supporting their pros and event shooters - get a MILC, be guarentteed your great EF glass is going to work 100% and transition to RF glass when you feel like it. Or never buy a RF lens, it wont matter.

An EF body on the other hand...... yeah THOSE will drop in price. But glass? Nooooooooooope

Upvote 0
RF mount really needs a good bunch of small pancake lens and primes that are somewhat affordable. I bet plenty of enthusiast would love to shed some weight out of their travelling FF setup.

Then start shipping the cameras with AI like pixel/iPhones and blow people's minds with amazing night shots.

Maybe that's one way Canon could get more revenue.
Canon has backed themselves into a wall with their lens pricing, especially with f/2.8 IMO. Asking 2200-3000 per lens means that both Sigma and Tamron will be able to move I to a 3rd party market with a strong following. If Tamron can maintain the quality they have in the SP G2 series, it will be killer. I rented all the lenses I wanted to try out before I made my decision but in the end all of my f/2.8 glass is Tamron. Some faster primes are Canon or Sigma Art series. Canon isn't even competitive anymore. Price vs quality doesn't make it up as some third party lenses have better quality housing and the differences were slight with certain tests being won by third party glass and others with Canon L glass. With the number of camera sales diminishing yearly, you would think that Canon would want to take advantage of RF glass for marketshare

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Canon has backed themselves into a wall with their lens pricing, especially with f/2.8 IMO. Asking 2200-3000 per lens means that both Sigma and Tamron will be able to move I to a 3rd party market with a strong following. If Tamron can maintain the quality they have in the SP G2 series, it will be killer. I rented all the lenses I wanted to try out before I made my decision but in the end all of my f/2.8 glass is Tamron. Some faster primes are Canon or Sigma Art series. Canon isn't even competitive anymore. Price vs quality doesn't make it up as some third party lenses have better quality housing and the differences were slight with certain tests being won by third party glass and others with Canon L glass. With the number of camera sales diminishing yearly, you would think that Canon would want to take advantage of RF glass for marketshare

I've aways heard that AF on 3rd party lenses never perform quite as well as the native Canon glass, especially the "L" stuff.

Are people saying this is no longer true on the RF glass?

C

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Did/Do you write to the CF and SD cards simultaneously on your 5Dx presently?

I always used the SD as a failsafe in case the CF card filled up while in the "head of battle"......I'd never really thought of trying to shoot to both at same time...
But, that's just me....wondering if you presently do with current 5D series and if this is wide spread?

C
yes, I do.. I cannot afford risking my photos. It is better safe than sorry. :(

Upvote 0