Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1]

Canon has backed themselves into a wall with their lens pricing, especially with f/2.8 IMO. Asking 2200-3000 per lens means that both Sigma and Tamron will be able to move I to a 3rd party market with a strong following. If Tamron can maintain the quality they have in the SP G2 series, it will be killer. I rented all the lenses I wanted to try out before I made my decision but in the end all of my f/2.8 glass is Tamron. Some faster primes are Canon or Sigma Art series. Canon isn't even competitive anymore. Price vs quality doesn't make it up as some third party lenses have better quality housing and the differences were slight with certain tests being won by third party glass and others with Canon L glass. With the number of camera sales diminishing yearly, you would think that Canon would want to take advantage of RF glass for marketshare

The lens pricing will lower. Canon always has a very high price for lens on release, then they go down with time.

Sigma is really upping the level with their art series thou, pity they almost always have that yellow cast (all the ones I tried. Tamron have nice colour rendition and are up to speed lately.

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
12 fps would be an incredible upgrade from one body to the next:cool:

5mp EVF too... this could be the killer R everybody was waiting for. Sounds good to me!

Instead of increasing the frame rate per second, it would be better if Canon focused on improving other aspects of the AF system.

Their engineers should watch this video and answer the question "why they can do it and we can't".

Last weekend I had the opportunity to photograph for the first time with the EOS R camera a local drift event taking place on the occasion of an annual charity event named WOŚP. I take this type of photos a maximum of maybe twice a year.

From 315 registered files including two videos, I decided to publish 25 photos and these two videos https://www.flickr.com/photos/mkamelg/albums/72157709566241721/page2 where I'm really happy with maybe a few photos. I was used one of my EF lenses via an adapter. It was a bad experience for me compared to my previous camera which was EOS 5DS, mainly because of the delay in EVF display when taking continuous photos.

Why there's no AF point frame during shooting when "High speed continuous" drive mode is selected in "ONE SHOT AF" operation?

Why AF point frame is available during shooting when "High speed continuous (Shoot. speed priority)" drive mode is selected in "SERVO AF" operation, but with full mechanical shutter "SERVO AF" is horrible slow and inaccurate?

Why with the chosen AF method "Zone AF", when "High speed continuous (Shoot. speed priority)" drive mode was selected in "SERVO AF" operation, camera couldn't focus on the drifting car coming straight at me?

Why there's not available something like "Pinpoint AF" which is available in Nikon Z6/7/50 cameras? Can this be considered equivalent to "Spot AF" known from some Canon DSLR cameras?

Does it bring any benefits? Definitely yes if you are using a lens with an older mount connected to the camera via an adapter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
I know SD cards are a dime a dozen, but I want dual card slots of the SAME configuration. In this case, dual CFExpress slots would be preferred. SD Cards just don't have the bandwidth to handle high-megapixel, fast-shooting events.

It's my hope that Canon's "pro" R bodies will incorporate identical card slots.

This is perfect!

It's the exact reason I was a little disappointed that Canon caved to the card slot cry babies.

Now it's "But they're not there SAME?!?!"

Hate to be the one to say "I told you so." But...

No.

Wait.

That's just not true.

I absolutely LOVE to be the one to say "I told you so!"

I told you so.

• Sad
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
This is perfect!

It's the exact reason I was a little disappointed that Canon caved to the card slot cry babies.

No.

Wait.

That's just not true.

I told you so.

It was a significant problem with the 5DIII. We had to choose between performance or having a second card for backup. It was a truly dumb mix of cards on Canon's part.

The 5DIV didn't seem nearly as bad. The two card slots were much better matched.

Hopefully we'll have another good match on the next 5DR.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Why there's no AF point frame during shooting when "High speed continuous" drive mode is selected in "ONE SHOT AF" operation?

Why AF point frame is available during shooting when "High speed continuous (Shoot. speed priority)" drive mode is selected in "SERVO AF" operation, but with full mechanical shutter "SERVO AF" is horrible slow and inaccurate?

Why with the chosen AF method "Zone AF", when "High speed continuous (Shoot. speed priority)" drive mode was selected in "SERVO AF" operation, camera couldn't focus on the drifting car coming straight at me?

Why there's not available something like "Pinpoint AF" which is available in Nikon Z6/7/50 cameras? Can this be considered equivalent to "Spot AF" known from some Canon DSLR cameras?

Ok. I give up. Why?

• Haha
Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
This is perfect!

No.

Wait.

That's just not true.

I told you so.

I'm not sure Canon "caved in" to SD-card purists. I think they just kept the status quo. I think most photographers want the dual slots primarily for redundancy/backup, nothing more. I own a 5DM3 and I never have it set to anything other that dual writes. It irks me to the Nth-degree when my SD card stalls on writes and the CompactFlash is waiting for the SD card to catch up.

Maybe Canon is reserving it for pro-models? I hope. The 1DX has identical slots, let's hope they do the same for pro R-bodies.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The lens pricing will lower. Canon always has a very high price for lens on release, then they go down with time.

Sigma is really upping the level with their art series thou, pity they almost always have that yellow cast (all the ones I tried. Tamron have nice colour rendition and are up to speed lately.
Yes, Sigma’s colours are a bit warmer than Canon’s one. I wonder if that was due to the properties of the anti glare coating that they use?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Instead of increasing the frame rate per second, it would be better if Canon focused on improving other aspects of the AF system.
That's not a one-or-the-other situation. Especially their improvements in throughput demonstrated on the M6 II (At 455 MP/s Canon's fastest ILC, beating for example the Nikon Z7 or Canon 1DX III at ~400 MP/s each) allow them to also deliver better AF and AE. Expect to see these improved even further in upcoming R bodies that feature the new DIGIC X processor.

I was used one of my EF lenses via an adapter. It was a bad experience for me compared to my previous camera which was EOS 5DS, mainly because of the delay in EVF display when taking continuous photos.
The viewfinder needs an RF lens attached to operate at the smoothest setting. This is unfortunate, but I would hope it's also just a quirk of the first RF body iteration.

Without an idea of the lens used or the look and speed of the car no one can tell you of course. In any case, the R is not an ideal body to evaluate Canon's tracking abilities on mirrorless bodies. There's a reason we're hearing rumors about a replacement less than two years after its launch.

Another first iteration quirk. The RP has spot AF as far as I'm aware, no idea why Canon didn't put it on the R yet. The RP also has focus stacking capabilities that the R doesn't. Canon is just weird like that.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes, Sigma’s colours are a bit warmer than Canon’s one. I wonder if that was due to the properties of the anti glare coating that they use?

Sigma uses golden sand from Malta for their glass!

But Canon uses only white sand from the Philippines. See the difference?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I think my larger question is...if this R sounds like the 5D5 expected equivalent, they why would Canon do a DSLR 5D5 at all, and not just go with the 5DR type thing?

I think the answer is as simple as:

‘because dSLRs still sell, and some people still want them, so let’s make ALL of the money, and not just half of the money’

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I think the answer is as simple as:

‘because dSLRs still sell, and some people still want them, so let’s make ALL of the money, and not just half of the money’

OH, I agree mostly for the short term, but as some others smarter than I have said, they likely will conserver manufacturing costs soon and consolidate to more all mirrorless as I believe they think that is the future.

And with the announcement that Canon doesn't intend any further research and development on EF mounted lenses and only concentrating on the RF lens series...I think the writing is on the wall for DSLR.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I know SD cards are a dime a dozen, but I want dual card slots of the SAME configuration. In this case, dual CFExpress slots would be preferred. SD Cards just don't have the bandwidth to handle high-megapixel, fast-shooting events.

It's my hope that Canon's "pro" R bodies will incorporate identical card slots.
In case of the EOS R II, They won't do that due to size constraints, also it is not a good idea to force everyone to go and buy those CFExpress cards, the fastest UHS-II cards have an average write speed of over 180MB/s in the EOS R, that is pretty fast (5D Mark IV can only go to 110MB/s with CF and it's not a slow camera) and it can probably go further in the next iteration with Digic X with an improved buffer as well.

If they do one 1DX III equivalent with a built-in vertical grip and a big battery that enables higher frame rates for double the cost, that might have it (but it won't have the resolution).

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
In case of the EOS R II, They won't do that due to size constraints, also it is not a good idea to force everyone to go and buy those CFExpress cards, the fastest UHS-II cards have an average write speed of over 180MB/s in the EOS R, that is pretty fast (5D Mark IV can only go to 110MB/s with CF and it's not a slow camera) and it can probably go further in the next iteration with Digic X with an improved buffer as well.

If they do one 1DX III equivalent with a built-in vertical grip and a big battery that enables higher frame rates for double the cost, that might have it (but it won't have the resolution).

Dual slots are a necessity for anyone taking photos with real money involved in their shots. Be it a wedding photographer being paid thousands of dollars for those special, once-in-a-lifetime shots, or photographers involved in photoshoots with hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in addition to manpower. It's not debatable.

I fall in that group that will not accept one card in a camera. I've had cards fail in my 5DM3 only to be saved by the redundant card. It happens. So if Canon has to make grip changes to accommodate two cards, then that's what is going to have to happen. I know many others photographers that will not do any work using a single-slot camera. Others have different needs and opinions. Mine may not apply to others, but it is important to us.

Will be interesting to see what Canon does on this.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Dual slots are a necessity for anyone taking photos with real money involved in their shots. Be it a wedding photographer being paid thousands of dollars for those special, once-in-a-lifetime shots, or photographers involved in photoshoots with hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in addition to manpower. It's not debatable.

I fall in that group that will not accept one card in a camera. I've had cards fail in my 5DM3 only to be saved by the redundant card. It happens. So if Canon has to make grip changes to accommodate two cards, then that's what is going to have to happen. I know many others photographers that will not do any work using a single-slot camera. Others have different needs and opinions. Mine may not apply to others, but it is important to us.

Will be interesting to see what Canon does on this.
I didn't write it won't have two card slots, I wrote that it won't have dual CFExpress slots.

Upvote 0
Is their any news on this rumor? I do own the EOS R (and love it) but a few upgrades such as silent shutter with AF and 10 fps (more welcome of course) would be nice, especially since my girlfriend wants a camera of her own and there is need for one more :) R5 is out our league, R6 doesn't spark our interest that much. Therefore, R Mark II would be great, better than having two EOS R or an RP.

Upvote 0
Seems......... pointless. Unless it is cheap. Significantly less than the R6. In which case it could be a great camera

Really? I think a an EOS R Mark II with around 32-34 MP would fit perfectly between an R6 and a R5. The gap between the 20 MP and the 45 MP is imho just too big to not have a another camera slated in between...

The same huge gap actually kept me from buying/ deciding between a 5d and 6d and I almost wound up switching to another brand because I didn't like either option.

Has there ever been more of a thread to 'unwatch'?

Yeah, you're probably right, but I'm still hoping for it.

Upvote 0