Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;;width: 55px;" name="fb_share"><div id="fb-root"></div><script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#appId=125029517579627&xfbml=1"></script><fb:like href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/06/powershot-g13cr1/" send="false" layout="box_count" width="55" show_faces="false" font="arial"></fb:like></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/06/powershot-g13cr1/"></a></div>
<p><strong>The Next “G”

</strong>A small spec list has shown up for the next incarnation of the massively successful “G” series.</p>
<p><strong>Specifications

</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><span style="font-weight: normal;">12mp</span></li>
<li>1080p Video</li>
<li>6x Zoom</li>
<li>New Flash Placement</li>
<li>Higher resolution LCD</li>
</ul>
<p>This is not as solid of information as the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/06/powershot-rumor-s95-replacement-cr2/">S95 post</a> a few days ago.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

G

gordonsbuck

How odd! My own message thread about the "G14" was folded into the S95/100 thread and I was given credit for starting that thread!

Anyway, I'll stand by my guesses/predictions ( http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2011/06/powershot-g-prediction.html ) for the G14 for now although I'm beginning to wish that I'd "predicted" a new lens because I want to believe the S100 rumor.

Upvote 0
S

shorthand

I wouldn't think of going to 12 mpix as "back in the MP race". These two cameras are clearly purchased fairly often based on reviews and street credibility, so its a fair bet that the extra megapixels in the updated do improve picture quality measurably.

Personally, I wonder if its not a back-illuminated CMOS instead of a CCD. That would quickly explain the megapixel jump and big jump in video capability.

After all, its not as if Canon can really make a one-off sensor for this segment, which is why Canon has been buying CCDs for this segment from Sony for a while.

Like I said before, these are pretty optimized designs, so evolutionary changes are all I would expect. On the S100, in-camera chromatic aberration correction could quickly yield some extra design freedom on the optics, though.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
shorthand said:
I wouldn't think of going to 12 mpix as "back in the MP race". These two cameras are clearly purchased fairly often based on reviews and street credibility, so its a fair bet that the extra megapixels in the updated do improve picture quality measurably.

Personally, I wonder if its not a back-illuminated CMOS instead of a CCD. That would quickly explain the megapixel jump and big jump in video capability.

After all, its not as if Canon can really make a one-off sensor for this segment, which is why Canon has been buying CCDs for this segment from Sony for a while.

Like I said before, these are pretty optimized designs, so evolutionary changes are all I would expect. On the S100, in-camera chromatic aberration correction could quickly yield some extra design freedom on the optics, though.

Makes you wonder about the market that the camera is being positioned to.
The G5, which was very firmly positioned towards the enthusiast segment (because DSLRs were
largely unaffordable then) sported a f/2 lens at the wide end. A faster lens (especially a zoom)
costs more to build, whereas the happy-snapper market is demanding greater zoom lengths,
regardless of the fact that there is a loss of image quality with super-zooms.

I wonder if the enthusiast compact camera market segment is large enough for Canon to
be really interested, or is it going to be left to the likes of Fuji (and Leica), and possibly the
M4/3 crowd.

I am personally quite happy with 10MP. I would prefer a bigger sensor, less noise and a brighter
lens as enhancements. Those are factors that would motivate me to buy a new camera, not a 2MP
bump in resolution (which is less than a 10% linear increase in resolution). Who knows, as well,
whether the lens is sharp enough to cope with more resolution...

Maybe I should wait for the G15 before upgrading my G11, and just quit whining.

G.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
takeapic said:
Hoping the can cut some of the bulk from the current G12...overtime the "G" series has become to hefty.

Also, it badly needs a faster lens back to like the early days of the G1-G6. Other than that, give it a wide angle lens (long over due) and about a 6x lens. Get rid of the view finder too.

You want all the things that will make it bigger (fast lens, more focal length), and expect it to get smaller. The way to get smaller is to eliminate zoom, and the rear lcd, and just keep a viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
takeapic said:
Not neccesarily. In today's time there are ways to better integrate the lens and all.

For example, take a look at the

G12:

28–140 mm (5×) less zoom
112.1 x 76.2 x 48.3 larger dimensions
351grams more weight

G7/G9:
35–210 mm (6×) more zoom
106 × 72 × 43 smaller dimensions
320 grams less weight

So if we put a f/1.2 X 2000 mm lens on it, the weight would be 0, and the size too?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.