PowerShot G16 & S120 To Be Replaced in October [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
It’s likely we’re going to see some new high end PowerShot cameras in October of this year.</p>
<p>Both the PowerShot G16 and PowerShot S120 are slated to be replaced, detailed specs are not available at this time.</p>
<p>We’re told that the PowerShot G16 will feature an electronic viewfinder, which would be very much welcomed, as the optical viewfinder in the G series has been lacking in usability for quite some time.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

If Canon can duplicate the Sony RX100 Mark IV, or dare I say better it, keeping the super small form factor that makes the RX100 so attractive, then I will buy it.

Something as well engineered and small like that with a Canon menu system I recognise. Yes please!!

Frankly, Canon should be looking beyond the RX100 Mark IV and trying to compete with whatever the RX100 Mark V will offer when it comes out. But maybe that is asking too much.

Come on Canon!!

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Mitch.Conner said:
Interesting. I thought the G7x marked the end of the S9x/S1xx line of higher-end p&s cameras from Canon. I imagine the G7x will outperform any upcoming S series offering, in roughly the same size body, but I guess we'll see.
Personally I don't think S120 replacement would have any bigger sensor, as it would make the camera bigger (and the size difference between s120 and g7x does make difference IMO).

G17 however... wilm be interesting to see what it will bring.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
dolina said:
Smartphones make more sense unless they jack up the size of the image sensor.

I disagree. The G16 offers much more flexibility for photography than a smart phone. I've just got a G16 and I'm finding it very good. The fine noise pattern at ISO 80 actually adds to the picture IMO. Here's one just shot at ISO 80

Attachments

• Boat G16.png
    Boat G16.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 627
Upvote 0
casperl said:
My S100 will squeeze into any pants' pocket I throw at it without looking awkward, but the RX100 doesn't. So I am looking forward to see what Canon can offer with S120's replacement.

That's some small pockets you have. You may want to get some new trousers rather than worry about how "awkward" those extra 13mm look!! Most of those extra 13mm are taken up by the superior 24–70 mm F1.8 - F2.8 ZEISS lens on the Sony, compared to Canon's 24–120 mm F2.0 - F5.9. The other specs of the RX 100 Mark IV definitely pack a massive punch by comparison to the S100.

RX100 Mark IV = 102 x 58 x 41 mm (298g). 1" 20MP BSI-CMOS Sensor 8.80 x 13.20 mm.
Canon S100 = 99 x 60 x 28 mm (198g). 1/1.7" 12MP CMOS Sensor 5.58 x 7.44 mm.

Regardless of all that, I really hope Canon will do something very, very special to compete (or beat) the RX100 Mark IV.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
expatinasia said:
RX100 Mark IV = 102 x 58 x 41 mm (298g). 1" 20MP BSI-CMOS Sensor 8.80 x 13.20 mm.
Canon S100 = 99 x 60 x 28 mm (198g). 1/1.7" 12MP CMOS Sensor 5.58 x 7.44 mm.

Regardless of all that, I really hope Canon will do something very, very special to compete (or beat) the RX100 Mark IV.

I would not hold my breath for that ... Canon was not even able to pull off a competitive G7X [1" sensor]. G16 is larger and heavier,despite dwarf-sensor [1/1.7"]. I fully expect Canon to bring G16/S-120 still using crappy tiny sensors. Of course they'll be DOA. Unfortunately, Canon only learns very slowly ... and the hard way.

Upvote 0
Smartphones are cannibalizing the point-and-shoot market.
Producers are trying to explore new niches, namely the 1"sensor one.
I don't think Canon will be able to sell at a premium price an enthusiast point-and-shoot with a small sensor: I predict that G7X and G3X will survive the smartphone era, GXX and SXXX will not.

Of course I could be wrong. ::)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
It’s likely we’re going to see some new high end PowerShot cameras in October of this year.</p>
<p>Both the PowerShot G16 and PowerShot S120 are slated to be replaced, detailed specs are not available at this time.</p>
<p>We’re told that the PowerShot G16 will feature an electronic viewfinder, which would be very much welcomed, as the optical viewfinder in the G series has been lacking in usability for quite some time.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

makes sense .. both are in need of a refresh.

it will be interesting to see what happens to the G17 - I suspect it will take it's place in the other G series cameras now and have a similar styling, form factor and use the external EVF. will it stay with a small sensor or move up to 1"? will canon drop the G1X series and just make it back to the Gxx series?

I suspect where canon ultimately wants to go is the G series cameras with different lenses and perhaps slightly different form factor, sharing similar parts to the same ecosystem. (G7X, G3X, G1X, Gxx?) is there a place for the G1X and the Gxx?

if you include the M in there which is basically an ILC G series powershot anyways, you have a pretty nice small G series lineup from compact to superzoom, to ILC, all sharing the same ecosystem and ergonomics.

In a way if this is what canon is thinking - I happen to really like where it would go and the options.

for example, I wouldn't be surprised of the G7XII has a hotshoe for the EVF.

The G17 wouldn't surprise me if it takes it's functionality from the EOS-M3 / G3X styling and form factor.

not sure why anyone would think either would be an RX100 "competitor" that clearly is in the domain of the G7X (oops typo.. didn't meant the 3 there) series - doing it anywhere else would be kind of stupid.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
JohanCruyff said:
I don't think Canon will be able to sell at a premium price an enthusiast point-and-shoot with a small sensor: I predict that G7X and G3X will survive the smartphone era, GXX and SXXX will not.

depends on the optics.

a smaller sensor allows canon to do special things with the optics that you couldn't necessarily do with a 1" sensor and keep the size reasonable.

Upvote 0
JohanCruyff said:

Small sensor cameras are dead to the enthusiast. Canon will still sell these alone based on brand or first time camera owners. There are not many but there are still some out there. Most people I know would rather put the money to a better smart phone or buy a ILC.

Canon should really partner with a cell phone manufacture and provide the optics and sensors.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
I am reluctantly expecting something as they anounce these two new models.. maybe. As things stands right now I am looking for a low-weight camera that I can keep in my jacket pocket (or large pant pockets) when I do not want to drag my 1Dx around. The only camera that has gotten me exited in the past years is the Fuji x100T, and I am now keeping my money for their new model Fuji x100U (?) which I expect them to tell us about early next year (as I do not want to buy the end of life cycle T model). Sony A7000 is also rumored to be around the corner, so I really hope that Canon can announce something that gets me exited and back on track :)

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
Proscribo said:
Mitch.Conner said:
Interesting. I thought the G7x marked the end of the S9x/S1xx line of higher-end p&s cameras from Canon. I imagine the G7x will outperform any upcoming S series offering, in roughly the same size body, but I guess we'll see.
Personally I don't think S120 replacement would have any bigger sensor, as it would make the camera bigger (and the size difference between s120 and g7x does make difference IMO).

G17 however... wilm be interesting to see what it will bring.

I agree with you about the sensor size likely remaining the same. I tend to disagree about the size difference between the S90/95/100/110 and G7x being significant though. They're both pretty small.

I agree with others who believe that the P&S market (what's left of it) is really for high-end P&S models. A successor to the S110 would be (I think) the lowest end of the Canon high-end models. Still likely high-end enough to sell though, as it will probably take better photos than most phone cameras (my S95 still takes better photos than any smartphone camera I've tried so far, although I hear the latest from Samsung and Apple are very nice - and might break that trend).

I remember either a rumor or an Canon exec interview a while back talking about Canon focusing on only high end P&S cameras, and not bothering with the lower end models any longer. Then a few months later they released a bunch of low end P&S models and everybody was scratching their heads.

Upvote 0
How funny, Spokan closes the previous G17 thread and now we have this. LMAO!

Canon Rumors said:
<p>More to come…</p>

Upvote 0
No wonder cause your S100 has a tiny sensor compared to the RX100 and the difference in IQ makes the S100 look bad, let alone it's slow performance.

casperl said:
My S100 will squeeze into any pants' pocket I throw at it without looking awkward, but the RX100 doesn't. So I am looking forward to see what Canon can offer with S120's replacement.

Upvote 0