PowerShot G1X mark III or G7X mark II for underwater photography?

bobby

5D IV
Sep 8, 2018
I'm going scuba diving in May and I'd like to bring a Camera.

Does anybody have any experience - especially with the G1X mark III underwater?
I think the G1X III is an interesting option for UW photography since it's got the large 80D sensor, although the G7X II's lens is supposedly better.

Does anybody have any experience with both the G1X mark III AND the G7X mark II?

How about the Canon WP-DC55 and WP-DC56 underwater housings... Has anybody used them? Are they reliably waterproof?

Apr 25, 2011
These cameras are roughly equal in their low-light performance.

I haven't used any of them underwater (I have used other PowerShots with Canon cases), but from general knowledge I would expect G7X II to be easier to operate underwater, especially if you are not an experienced underwater photographer, and, what is also very important on dives, to have a better battery life.

Canon cases are only "reliably" waterproof if you are careful with their o-rings. After closing the case, you should always make a test by submerging it into water for a while. The leaks usually happen in shallow water; when you go deeper, they self-seal with the water pressure; the leaks are unlikely to destroy your camera, but they can interfere with its performance until it dries up.

Also, it would be a good idea to buy a WW-DC1 weights set and to use it to make your setup just slightly positively buoyant.

Upvote 0

bobby

5D IV
Sep 8, 2018
Thank you so much! That really helps a lot!
Since I'll just jump in and then get down to 12m asap the housing should self-seal rather quickly. Looks like I won't have to face any problems there.
Thanks for the advice on the WW-DC1! Looks like it's rather cheap, too... I'll definitely pick up those weights.

Regarding battery life: Let's say I'll be on the dive boat all day and won't get a chance to recharge batteries between two dives, should I get a second battery or is one enough?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
It depends on the water temperature and on how you use the camera. It is good to carry one battery per dive if your boat has a dry zone (wash the case in a fresh - unsalted - water before opening it); if not, you will adapt your shooting style and will keep the camera active for less time.

Even if your dive is only 12 meters deep, you will likely spend at least 3 minutes at about 5 meters at the end of your dive. While it's not strictly necessary for your depths, it's a good practice. So, pay attention to the state of your o-rings before and when you close the case.

It should also be mentioned that staying with you buddy (and with your group in general) is a priority over taking pictures, especially if the water is not crystal clear. My wife once took a nice video of a cuttlefish, but ruined the dive for the rest of her group (the dive instructor leading the group wasn't great either).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bobby

5D IV
Sep 8, 2018
I have been using the Olympus TG-5 point and shoot...... no problems so far, but I have not had it deeper than 5 meters. A word of advice, make sure you have enough flotation on the camera so that if you drop it, it goes up.

Actually for scuba diving, about neutral buoyancy is preferable since you don't keep the camera in your hand for the duration of the entire dive. As suggested by Kit., attaching weights to the rig is a pretty good idea to achieve such neutral buoyancy (or at least close to neutral). If you let go of the camera it won't sink to the ocean floor - although that wouldn't be a problem since I'll be diving shipwrecks and as such I'll be close to the ocean floor as it is - but it also wouldn't shoot up to the surface.

Taking a positively buoyant camera underwater without attaching it means that you'll lose it if you let go of it because you really shouldn't chase it to the surface. I recommend reading up on decompression a little bit and you'll understand why.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Actually for scuba diving, about neutral buoyancy is preferable since you don't keep the camera in your hand for the duration of the entire dive. As suggested by Kit., attaching weights to the rig is a pretty good idea to achieve such neutral buoyancy (or at least close to neutral). If you let go of the camera it won't sink to the ocean floor - although that wouldn't be a problem since I'll be diving shipwrecks and as such I'll be close to the ocean floor as it is - but it also wouldn't shoot up to the surface.

Taking a positively buoyant camera underwater without attaching it means that you'll lose it if you let go of it because you really shouldn't chase it to the surface. I recommend reading up on decompression a little bit and you'll understand why.
If you are already on the bottom, not a problem.

Lots of people use cameras snorkelling, so for them there is nowhere for it to go but down :)

I keep mine on a string, and yes, I have dropped it.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm going scuba diving in May and I'd like to bring a Camera.

Does anybody have any experience - especially with the G1X mark III underwater?
I think the G1X III is an interesting option for UW photography since it's got the large 80D sensor, although the G7X II's lens is supposedly better.

Does anybody have any experience with both the G1X mark III AND the G7X mark II?

How about the Canon WP-DC55 and WP-DC56 underwater housings... Has anybody used them? Are they reliably waterproof?

Sensor size matters!!! Go with the G1X Mk III.

Upvote 0