Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;;width: 55px;" name="fb_share"><div id="fb-root"></div><script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#appId=125029517579627&xfbml=1"></script><fb:like href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=6671" send="false" layout="box_count" width="55" show_faces="false" font="arial"></fb:like></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=6671"></a></div>
<strong>Canon PowerShot S100

</strong>A brief bit of information in regards to the replacement of the S95. Apparently an S100 has shown up in an inventory system.</p>
<p><strong>Brief Specs</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>12mp</li>
<li>5x Zoom</li>
<li>Available in September</li>
</ul>
<p>This would mark a small increase in MP (2) and a small increase in zoom. No mention of video resolution.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hmmm...another minor update to the line, typically Canon. But, a 5x zoom would be nice, providing they keep it as an f/2 lens and don't make the body any thicker than the S95. 2 more MP? Could live without it, but it won't hurt. Will I replace my S95? For a 28-140mm lens (only longer than current), probably not, but for a 24-120mm (longer and wider than current), I probably would.

Upvote 0
cdcooker said:
Canon has a PowerShot S100 long time ago, a 2MP camera using CF card, probably the first digital Elph, as far as i remember. They should give the new camera a new name to avoid any confusion.

The new "S95" replacement should have specs similar to the Olympus XZ-1.
I'm thinking the same. Hell, S95 Mk II would be fine.

I just don't see that they'd call it S100 due to the old model.

Upvote 0
scalesusa said:
Camera manufacturewrs have had a dismal record of product naming. They obviously did not forsee the rapid development of digital cameras, and thought that like film cameras, they might pop out a new model every 10 years.

They really need to develop a better plan for naming models.

Well, they went from S80 to S90 to S95 . . . S100 is not inevitable . . .

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with the MK version. Hell, Honda is so much better than GM just from sticking to a naming convention alone. The current accord is informally the 8th generation . . . which is perfectly fine as insiders all know what it means, and you can quickly find out with a google search.

Upvote 0
Bad naming aside... from the looks of it, the S95 and its successors will probably retain a comfortable standing in its market for a year or two. It seems that the only serious rival is the Olympus XZ-1 at this point (I'll disregard the LX-5 here, since it has too big a lens in the front to be considered a camera that can easily fit into one's pocket). Maybe Nikon can do better with the P300 successor, but who knows? :p

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
dstppy said:
scalesusa said:
Camera manufacturewrs have had a dismal record of product naming. They obviously did not forsee the rapid development of digital cameras, and thought that like film cameras, they might pop out a new model every 10 years.

They really need to develop a better plan for naming models.

Well, they went from S80 to S90 to S95 . . . S100 is not inevitable . . .

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with the MK version. Hell, Honda is so much better than GM just from sticking to a naming convention alone. The current accord is informally the 8th generation . . . which is perfectly fine as insiders all know what it means, and you can quickly find out with a google search.

Maybe camera manufacturers have wanted to keep people on the upgrade path.
Maybe they think people will get confused if, for instance, an EOS5D was different depending on the model year of the camera.

On the other hand Apple stick with "Macbook" "Macbook Pro" etc. and refresh them every so often, and nobody gets confused, and everybody still wants the latest and greatest. (On the other hand, Apple have a problem coming when they run out of big cats.)

Canon have a bigger problem:
- Powershot G13 - I think not!
- What comes after Powershot S99? (S96 has no ring to it anyhow)
- What comes after the EOS 950D?
- What comes after the EOS 90D?

Canon have painted themselves into a corner. Nikon will take a little bit longer to hit the same problem...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Hmmm...another minor update to the line, typically Canon. But, a 5x zoom would be nice, providing they keep it as an f/2 lens and don't make the body any thicker than the S95. 2 more MP? Could live without it, but it won't hurt. Will I replace my S95? For a 28-140mm lens (only longer than current), probably not, but for a 24-120mm (longer and wider than current), I probably would.

I agree, a 24-120 lens will be a worthwhile feature to upgrade for. I still have an S90 (and quite happy with it) and a wider angle would be worth going for. Also couldn't care about the extra 2MP, as long as it doesn't increase the noise levels. Please keep it the same size!

Upvote 0
cdcooker said:
Canon has a PowerShot S100 long time ago, a 2MP camera using CF card, probably the first digital Elph, as far as i remember. They should give the new camera a new name to avoid any confusion.

The new "S95" replacement should have specs similar to the Olympus XZ-1.

I still have one. It was my first digital Canon. Still works, but the battery lasts a matter of minutes. For the time, and it's size; it took outstanding pictures.

I was planning on using it for a CLP trade-in someday.

Attachments

• IMG_5855.resized.JPG
    IMG_5855.resized.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 657
  • IMG_5854.resized.JPG
    IMG_5854.resized.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 680
Upvote 0
I can't imagine anything they could do to make me "upgrade."

This is a camera I can pull out of my pocket, take a good picture, and put back in my pocket. Often, the pictures are even better than good. It gives me RAW files I can process myself. I can go full manual if I want to. It has lots of gadgets -- scene stuff, HDR, etc. to play with if I'm bored. The lens is fast so I can do reasonably well in reduced light. And all that for a song!

And since I almost never use anything but natural light....

I plan to be happy with this for a long, long time.

And I'm willing to bet they won't try to break the $400 barrier with it.

Upvote 0
H

henryblyth

donjensen said:
Nobody missing a 1080p video recording?
I would also love to see it go wider than 28, and don´t care about hot shoe, viewfinder or more megapixel.

I was planing to buy the S95 for my wife, for our travel to florida in september. It´s going to be an addition to my Canon 7D.

Agree with all of the above. I can also fully recommend the S95. It's an amazing camera. So much easier to 'have around' than a 7D. I'm not a fan of always having a DSLR in my hand, and the S95 is just as quick to start up, especially if you have your fingers already pushing the zoom lever or other functions, setting up the composition you have framed in your mind.

Unfortunately, so far it seems, no compact camera turns on or wakes from sleep to the same focal length it was at last.

Upvote 0
bibdd said:
Only Thing that really bothers me is the rather poor shutter lag. I hope they will improve that significantly. Manual autofocuspoint selection, zoom during video, 1080p and wider and longer lens would be nice of course. Assuming that the camera remains the same size as the S95.

me too, love the camera, but when chasing my little one around... too slow...

Upvote 0
B

brainman

I was about to buy an S95 as a pocket camera / back up to my SLR but looking back announcements for S90 & S95 have both been on 19th August in 2010 & 2011 repectively so I will hang fire to either get an S100(?) or cheaper S95 depending on what it delivers. S100 sounds like evolutionary improvement on S95 which in turn was on S90 and is expected to be a 'better' camera following Canon's Kaizen strategy but I may not need it to turn out good pictures.

12mp would be nice but is not essential and wouldn't make me buy s100 over a cheap s95.
5x Zoom again good but better if wide angle goes out to 24mm (to 120) or even 27mm (to 135). Wider + 5x zoom would make me get the s100.

Other items I would like:
Even better dynamic range / low light handling / even bigger sensor (as rumored for G13). We can dream.
No change in max aperture unless it becomes f/1.8!
1080p would be interesting but is not essential. Slomo/fastmo capabilities of Nikon P300 would also be nice.
No increase in size/weight unless building in improved grip.
Move from 460k to 920k screen to rival P300 would also help in-camera review.
Improved start up time.
Closer macro focus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.