PowerShot SX260 successor thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see BHPhoto and Amazon have the Canon SX260 for quite cheap at $199. Any thoughts on if that is an Xmas discount or inventory clearing price, preparing for an update?

I'm mostly curious if people think the successor in the ultra-zoom point-and-shoot category will just have some marginal improvements here and there ... say 14 or 16MP, or something more revolutionary [touch screen interface? controls revamped, appreciably bigger sensor/better ISO?].

At $199/small size, I'm ok buying/carrying it as a one-trick-pony ... 500mm zoom. Eventhough I'm pretty confident I'll feel the pictures will look very flat ... they're better than nothing. But I'd also be fine spending $300-$350 for something tangibly better.

Also, is it easy to do exposure compensation on this camera? I hate not having EV control on a dial. That and Aperture priority + easy to change f-stop are my two key control concerns.

[context: I often carry around my trusty G10. I have some mid-level Nikon SLRs/lenses but am looking at the D600 once the dust/oil issue is resolved ... I've been interested in something with more tele- than the G10 I can use casually ... small/cheap and can keep in the backpack permanently. It looks like it also uses the same battery as my PowerShot D10, another "one trick pony" ... that's also a benefit.]

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback.

--psb

Status
Not open for further replies.