Preorder: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III with bonuses and a giveaway

Hi Guys!
I got an newsletter from the local professional shop. The camera will cost 7360 Euros in Austria. What an incredible price. This is 1050 Euros more than the Mark 2 version at the time of announcement. Wow.

I was until reading the heavily pricing thinking of buying the Mark III. But as an non-professional this is definitively to much. Professional photographers will need all this new features, but for me price vs. performance is not in relation.

Daniela

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Who on earth is filling up a 256GB card on a 20mp camera? Maybe if you're doing video, but surely a more reasonable 128GB card is adequate for most uses.

I'm using 1DX Mark1 and I often shoot 300GB+ at 8h sports events. So yes, I'm planning to buy some 400-500GB cards for this. Unfortunate cost adder...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Hi Guys!
I got an newsletter from the local professional shop. The camera will cost 7360 Euros in Austria. What an incredible price. This is 1050 Euros more than the Mark 2 version at the time of announcement. Wow.

I was until reading the heavily pricing thinking of buying the Mark III. But as an non-professional this is definitively to much. Professional photographers will need all this new features, but for me price vs. performance is not in relation.

Daniela
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the Mark III will drop in price more quickly than the Mark I and II did. I don't expect a huge price drop, but I think it will at least fall to the price of the Mark II at introduction within the next 4-6 months, possibly sooner.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
At 20MP... I don't want it. Or Need it.
I'd love to know the reaction of your sports photography peers. Canon is saying this camera was specifically designed with input from top level photographers of professional sports to meet their needs. While I shoot sports as the major part of my work, my small college sports work is not in the same league as your work. I've been pretty clear that I wanted more resolution, in part because I definitely need cropping flexibility. I'm reserving final judgment until I can test it out and see for myself (I intend to use my CPS membership to borrow one as soon as they are available).

Since this camera, by Canon's own admission, is targeted toward you and your peers, if it isn't generating interest among the people you work with, that would be quite interesting. Not suggesting Canon is doomed. After all, it looks like Nikon is also going with 20 mp, so they have us over a barrel. But, I would like to know what your friends and colleagues are thinking.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Fair enough. You must change shutters like underwear. :oops:
Still on my original shutter.

But planning to get Mark3 so I can leave the Mark1 as back-up and give the shutter some rest. Funnily enough, I bought grey market Mark1 as I got good enough deal I thought it's worth the risk of not having Canon warranty (it came with 1 year 3rd party warranty instead). Now after many years of happy shooting, I can say it was good gamble at least this time.

For Mark3, I assume I'm getting it very early so probably grey market 3rd party sellers don't have deals yet so will probably buy from BH/Adorama.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Still on my original shutter.

But planning to get Mark3 so I can leave the Mark1 as back-up and give the shutter some rest. Funnily enough, I bought grey market Mark1 as I got good enough deal I thought it's worth the risk of not having Canon warranty (it came with 1 year 3rd party warranty instead). Now after many years of happy shooting, I can say it was good gamble at least this time.

For Mark3, I assume I'm getting it very early so probably grey market 3rd party sellers don't have deals yet so will probably buy from BH/Adorama.
Wow, have you ever checked your shutter count on the Mark I?

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Who on earth is filling up a 256GB card on a 20mp camera? Maybe if you're doing video, but surely a more reasonable 128GB card is adequate for most uses.
So we're up at 7AM at "coach and referee" meetings shooting everything.
8AM 1 st round competition begins with 11 athletes competing as individuals. We have to shoot each athlete and then participating.

1030 long distance races 20 athletes we have to follow in boat and get pictures of each athlete and as groups at start, in race and finish line.

I could.go on but we don't stop until sunset.

Do you have any idea how many 1000'a of pictures we get each round each day.

On the 1DXMKII I've filled up 256 and with auto switching taken up some of another.

When. Shooting the Olympics and international sporting competitions the work in intense. Then we pick our favorite shots from those we've sent to editors and stay up all.night and the. Repeat for an entire week or two weeks.

That how WE FILL 256 cards

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Just wait until AF tracking quality real life information becomes available.
For a businessman, you arrived at the conclusion a bit too fast. If this new cam gets you more winner shots in critical focus, why would you not consider giving this a go?
It turns out that that's been debunked...as I found out the last time *I* brought it up!

But speaking of inappropriate marketing, I love seeing four wheel drives with TRD proudly emblazoned on them....
Fill us in, urban dictionary says nothing except for the obvious and something if you're from Rockhurst, your comment cannot be that geographically specific.

Upvote 0
I think that is very likely needed for video more than anything else. According to DPReview, recording raw video will fill a 128GB card in just over 5 minutes of recording. I'm sure that will be a lot of fun to edit!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Fill us in, urban dictionary says nothing except for the obvious and something if you're from Rockhurst, your comment cannot be that geographically specific.

Ironic that you should say "fill us in" when all you have to do with TRD is fill in a missing vowel, one that almost isn't pronounced. Hint, it goes between the T and the R and appears rather late in the alphabet.

Upvote 0