Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
...it’s pretty clear ithe launch is a PR disaster for Canon. Hope they can “right the ship” next week.

That seems more like short term drama-queenery, and a bit of click-baitery.

I expect this "PR Disaster" will result in Canon being unable to keep up with demand, and predict we wont see R5 cameras in stock for immediate shipment at BH or Adorama any time this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
Newbie question; what is the advantage (if any) of shooting crop mode in photo compared to cropping in post, when using an EF (of RF) lense? I can't seem to find straight answer looking around. I think the EOS-R has the option as well, but given the 45MP of the R5 the remaining crop might still have enough resolution. Let me know.
In crop mode, the image enlarges to fill the view, and you can compose it more readily and see details and verify focus better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
Yes I’m sure your right. When the director asks why his set is shut down and he can’t shoot you can tell him that everything is fine because the camera shut down before it overheated. Honestly, I have no idea what the extent of the problem is but pretending there isn’t a problem rarely helps IME.

It's not a "problem" except for the wrong tool was selected for the job.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Thanks for that link - it worked. I did find the part about focus bracketing. Unfortunately, it only allows one mode of operation, where the bracket starts at the focused position and the focus distance increases with each shot until done. :( That's the way it worked in my Olympus EM1_II and I hated it as it was too hard (actually impossible) to guess how far to bring in the focus distance so that the bracketed shots would cover what you wanted with the main point of interest in the middle of it. There were many times when the whole bracket was completely worthless because the main point of interest was never reached.

Canon: can you please add this option to the focus bracketing menu? :
I hope Canon can hear feedback on this and add (quite easily) an option in the menu to allow the initial focus position to be the *middle* of the bracketed shots, as that's the way I'd want to use it. EG: I'd focus on the eye of the bug I want to bracket, then press the exposure button, and the camera would back up the focus (reduce the focus distance) appropriately so that the bracketed shots would have the eye in the middle of the bracket instead of only at the first shot of the bracket.
Canon has repeatedly said that they are listening to feedback, and planning on adding new functionality via firmware. This request is a bit buried in the thread, so they may never find it!
I am not sure what official channels there are too get feedback to Canon, but you may want to try responding to one of their YouTube videos or social media pages with this request?
Or we could create a dedicated thread for feature requests that is less "discussion" oriented and in a nice organized list for Canon to evaluate?

Edit: I created a thread for users to add their feature requests in the forum: "Dear Canon... R5 and R6 Firmware Upgrade and Feature Requests".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I referred to the Australian market. the RRP is A$1000 higher than USA and that includes exchange rate and tax.

Some local stores already dropped more than A$500 on their websites.

The incentive include free battery, limited strap (who care). I think some local stores also include a Sandisk Extreme Prod SDXC 64GB card.
Don't confuse store incentives with Canon. Dealers often offer their own incentives and bundles to get people to buy from them. But, some people will equate that with Canon incentives or assume Canon is somehow behind those store incentives, which is only the case if it is an incentive that every dealer offers, such as the referenced "free" jacket in Canada.

Dealers are no doubt desperate for business in these times, so it's no surprise they are cutting their margins or offering a free item or offering discounted bundles.That just means they want to score the sale.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that link - it worked. I did find the part about focus bracketing. Unfortunately, it only allows one mode of operation, where the bracket starts at the focused position and the focus distance increases with each shot until done. :( That's the way it worked in my Olympus EM1_II and I hated it as it was too hard (actually impossible) to guess how far to bring in the focus distance so that the bracketed shots would cover what you wanted with the main point of interest in the middle of it. There were many times when the whole bracket was completely worthless because the main point of interest was never reached.

That's interesting. I thought focus bracketing (at least in theory) is done to get everything in focus. So the automatic bracketing should know the DoF for the given focal length, aperture and starting focusing distance and correctly estimate the required steps.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Don't confuse store incentives with Canon. Dealers often offer their own incentives and bundles to get people to buy from them. But, some people will equate that with Canon incentives or assume Canon is somehow behind those store incentives, which is only the case if it is an incentive that every dealer offers, such as the referenced "free" jacket in Canada.

Dealers are no doubt desperate for business in these times, so it's no surprise they are cutting their margins or offering a free item or offering discounted bundles.That just means they want to score the sale.

And Canon is also very fierce about MAP, so stores can't advertise low prices, but they can add in 'free' stuff to give you the same effect as a discount.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
The R6 is only 4K IPB and also only 20MP, so the buffer should last a pretty decent amount of time. Needs testing.

The R5 is a great landscape camera (sharper than 5DsR according to Canon) where again, you can waste a lot on cards, you just don't need to. At all. Most people will use them for wedding etc. yes in that case it is better to have the fastest SD card possible to not slow down the dual card slots.

Not everyone needs everything, and people need to understand each other instead of living in a world with their narrow take on things and being patronising , calling everything else being stupid for the way they do things.

The 5D4 and R are more than capable for landscape. Why would one upgrade from these cameras to the R6 and R5 just for landscape? The R5 is over kill for such use case. There are much cheaper options readily available if they need more resulotion.

Of course it is rare that some will needs all the features. But why would one invest $3899 for the R5 just for landscape where they can get the 5DS/SR for about half the price?

Other genres where these cameras are trumped such as sports, wildlife and wedding/events certainly need the maximum frame rates that fastest storage speed is desirable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Heading to the Canon Experience store in my city tomorrow to get some hands on with the R5 (only 15 minutes, and they say both the R5 and R6 are available for trying out, but I'm not even remotely interested the R6). The things I want to check out for myself:
  • what GPS options are in the menu
  • if the Japanese version will only have English & Japanese language like the 5D4 did (whereas the US version seemed to have 25; 29 with the R5 US version)
Honestly, I don't have many things left to check for as most of the features I would be curious about I feel I already know. Just looking forward to seeing how it feels in my hand and seeing how improved the EVF is over the R. Not likely there is anything that would make me cancel my preorder at this point (unless forthcoming reviews discover some tremendous flaw... 8K overheating doesn't yet reach that bar).

If there's anything anyone else is curious about, let me know and I'll see if I can manage it.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014

Agree. Will need to check but I thought the limited edition strap and free battery are offered by Canon Australia.

Regardless, my point was the RRP for the R5 and R6 in Australia are overpriced. Hence even the cameras are that good (which they are), the preorder numbers are low. Hence they offer incentives to attract buyers. I could be wrong.

Another indication that preorder hasn't been high is most stores have dropped over A$500 on their preorder price.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Agree. Will need to check but I thought the limited edition strap and free battery are offered by Canon Australia.

Regardless, my point was the RRP for the R5 and R6 in Australia are overpriced. Hence even the cameras are that good (which they are), the preorder numbers are low. Hence they offer incentives to attract buyers. I could be wrong.

Another indication that preorder hasn't been high is most stores have dropped over A$500 on their preorder price.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014

May be we are not on the same page? I never doubted the preorder numbers in USA as I believe the RRPs are inline with their product lines. Where there is about A$1000 more than USD$3899. That includes exchange conversion, tax and shipping cost.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Don't think there is really much disagreement here. Given the economic conditions worldwide, a few small incentives from either Canon or their dealers isn't a big surprise. I just wouldn't read into that any great significance as small incentives (like "free" card readers, cards and EF to R adapters) have been common for quite some time.

I do feel sorry for folks in other countries as it often seems the pricing is out of line with what we spoiled Americans are used to.

Upvote 0
Interesting, please elaborate about the grip, and do you previously use grip on your current/earlier bodies?

I've had grip since ~2010, and when I bought 5D4 the grip was very expensive and I thought maybe I can live without one. First studio shoot with awkward hand positions and much more tired hands, I decided to order the grip immediately. So I'd be curious why you felt it's better without.

Funny enough, for my sport shooting I have 2-3 regular assistant. The one I use most, after some 3-4 years of shooting with my gripped 5D4 and 1DX, last winter she came to me very excited "Tero! Did you know when you rotate camera to portrait, there's another shutter button on top!!!" Couldn't help but laugh.
Sorry for the late reply. I generally don't care for the grips. And I don't use grips on any of my current bodies. It is just my personal preference.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I'm looking at EOS-3, EOS-5, EOS 5D, EOS5DII just from Canon and none of these were £4K cameras.

There are a few important differences:
- You're comparing cameras at the peak of their maturity. And adjusted for inflation an EOS-3 was still what, $2500?
- How much was an AE-1 at launch? Over $2000, and wasn't that a budget/prosumer model?
- To really get an idea you'd want to look at pricing in Yen, since both GBP and USD are going to be heavily affected by exchange rates.
- E.g. the 5D was well over $4000 in inflation adjusted dollars, so the R5 is similar at least in real USD.
- You're excluding recurring film, development, and print costs from the film SLRs. Digital ILCs have significantly lower TCO (for moderate to heavy shooters)

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
The 5D4 and R are more than capable for landscape. Why would one upgrade from these cameras to the R6 and R5 just for landscape? The R5 is over kill for such use case. There are much cheaper options readily available if they need more resulotion.

Of course it is rare that some will needs all the features. But why would one invest $3899 for the R5 just for landscape where they can get the 5DS/SR for about half the price?

Other genres where these cameras are trumped such as sports, wildlife and wedding/events certainly need the maximum frame rates that fastest storage speed is desirable.

I don't think folks are appreciating how great this camera has the potential to be for stills:
- The R5 should represent a 50% increase in detail over a 5D4 with the increased resolution and (presumably) less aggressive filter.
- Access to the RF lens library, which is outstanding
- IBIS is super useful for landscape away from a tripod
- Potentially easier to pack (though likely offset by, uh, 3-4 extra batteries!)

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I don't think folks are appreciating how great this camera has the potential to be for stills:
- The R5 should represent a 50% increase in detail over a 5D4 with the increased resolution and (presumably) less aggressive filter.
- Access to the RF lens library, which is outstanding
- IBIS is super useful for landscape away from a tripod
- Potentially easier to pack (though likely offset by, uh, 3-4 extra batteries!)

I have said multiple times that I have no doubt how good both R6 and R5.

I know the R5 is as sharp or sharper then the 5DS camera. But where did you see that it's 50% better than the 5D4?

Not sure about you but most if not all landscape photographers that I know almost always use tripod for their landscape shoot.

Upvote 0