Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I should imagine we will see all this in the week as more reviews roll out .

Everything will still be in-camera JPEGs with the pre-production bodies. Canon makes anyone who gets one to test sign an agreement not to release any raw files from them or not release images derived from raw files using non-Canon authorized raw convertors until the embargo has been lifted.

Not to mention that it will likely take a while for third party raw convertors to add compatibility for the new cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No, you have to focus on the starting distance (which is difficult), the right step size (which is a guess), and the number of steps to do (which is a guess). And you can only hope that the bracket ends at a good spot. It's extremely frustrating! That's why I want to have the added option to focus on the middle of the bracket (eg. using eye AF or manual focus for the eye of a bug) and have that be the middle of the bracket. Then no matter what step size and #steps I choose, it will always get that eye in focus in the middle of the bracket. This seems so obvious, it's amazing that it's not already the way that it's implemented.

I don't know how it is/will be implemented in the R5 but what you described is useless for both macro and landscape, if you have to manually specify the number of steps and the step size. I rarely do focus stacking in landscapes, 2-3 shots is usually enough and I focus on key objects - fixed steps would have been useless unless they automatically cover the whole depth of the scene by overlapping DoFs of each shot.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Having 2 cameras and underwater housings was the only solution if you wanted more than 36 shots underwater in one dive! :)

Did they not make UW housings large enough for magazine backs that would hold anywhere from 100 frames (13') to 250 frames (Canon largest) to 750 frames (100' - Nikon's largest)?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I am a practical person. I like Canon gears but I like my wallet too.

Let’s flip the coin, how do you feel if the R5 price in your country is $1000 more than other overseas markets? Will you happily get one knowingly the price isn’t parity against global markets?

How would you feel if you only got a one year warranty that didn't cover anything remotely related to water damage or user error? How would you feel about having to pay an additional $350+tax to extend that one year warranty to three years (two additional years)?

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Sorry to rain on the parade, but that link is garbage. I would strongly recommend against taking anything found on that linked website as evidence of anything related to the R5. Check out the movie recording size section - it doesn't mention 8K at all...and this, which indicates we don't really get 12/20fps...

"High Speed Display

The Canon EOS R5 must be set to high speed frame rate to enable this option. This setting lets the EVF update faster than the 5 FPS rate at which the EOS R5 shoots in Continuous Hi mode."

...and this...

"This means that shaR5 focus will more than ever be placed on the “leading" eye of your subjects,"

which is under Eye Detection AF. Looks like the guy did a search & replace, substituting R5 for RP.

And why would an R5 manual have photos of an RP?

Or mention an old DSLR? "You can select how to protect and unprotect an image from deletion on the EOS 50D"
Thanks for the heads up on the link being garbage.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Did they not make UW housings large enough for magazine backs that would hold anywhere from 100 frames (13') to 250 frames (Canon largest) to 750 frames (100' - Nikon's largest)?
Not that I ever saw, however I have seen David Doublet shooting with twenty film cameras and housings and four camera assistants!

I actually had an F1N with the FN 100 back for many years, still got the F1N but the back was sold a few years ago.

EDIT: I just found this old picture of my F1N and FN-100 bulk back, still have the camera but not the back.

F1N.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Clearly the R5 is above the "regular" 5 series. Currently the R5 is 70% more expensive than the 5Div and 80% if you include the currently bundled AUD250 gift card. I get that the 5Div is already 4 years old but it has been keeping its price high even though the R has been dropping a lot.

The 5D Mark IV was introduced at $3,499 USD in 2016.

$3,499 in 2016 could buy what $3,737.90 can buy in 2020.

The EOS R5 was introduced in the U.S. at $3,899

That's a 4.3% increase over the price of the 5D Mark IV at launch when adjusted for inflation.

As for the EOS 5D Mark IV holding its value over the course of the last 4+ years...

20200709ss1.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agree with increase in resolution compares to the 5D4 and R. For those who wants or needs additional resolution for landscape, the 5DS/SR are much cheaper alternative. Will an extra 1 - 2 stops DR warrant the upgrade to the R5 over the 5DS/SR? I personally wouldn’t and I wonder how many would do it?

It depends on the budget. I considered 5DsR for landscape photography at some point but realised it was sub-par to 5DIV, at least for my purposes. Resolution is important but so is dynamic range. Switching from 5DIV to 5DsR instead of upgrading to R5 - that wouldn't make the process enjoyable considering significant difference in the DR metric.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I wonder what happens with those non-approved? Does it say "too slow, will not record", or does it get some frame drops or artifacts on the video?

I have couple off-brand (supposedly fast) CFexpress cards already, wondering if I should use them with R5 and how to test to make sure they don't fail when it matters.

For many cards it usually means they haven't tested that specific card with that specific camera model. They only list cards they have confirmed will work as expected. They don't list cards they have not tested.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
For many cards it usually means they haven't tested that specific card with that specific camera model. They only list cards they have confirmed will work as expected. They don't list cards they have not tested.

Yes, but what happens in actuality when you try to use those cards and if they are too slow, does it mention it or do you get garbage?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Agree. Will need to check but I thought the limited edition strap and free battery are offered by Canon Australia.

Regardless, my point was the RRP for the R5 and R6 in Australia are overpriced. Hence even the cameras are that good (which they are), the preorder numbers are low. Hence they offer incentives to attract buyers. I could be wrong.

Another indication that preorder hasn't been high is most stores have dropped over A$500 on their preorder price.

Or maybe they've dropped the price because their full allotment of kits with the promo goodies has been sold already? There have been several posts here in the past 24 hours that some Australian dealers are no longer offering the special edition leather strap.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
How would you feel if you only got a one year warranty that didn't cover anything remotely related to water damage or user error? How would you feel about having to pay an additional $350+tax to extend that one year warranty to three years (two additional years)?

You haven’t answer my question whether you will be happy to pay A$1000 more. even considering the additional warranty.

I like to know which manufactures will cover water damages and user error under their warranty.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Or maybe they've dropped the price because their full allotment of kits with the promo goodies has been sold already? There have been several posts here in the past 24 hours that some Australian dealers are no longer offering the special edition leather strap.

No, the discounted price also includes he bonus pack.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I’d actually prefer an adult conversation with you that has nothing to do with saving anyone’s reputation or dignity.

Unless I’m wrong, sales of higher end cameras are not as strong today as they were 20 years ago and I am suggesting that while that could be attributed to many things, smart phones and £4000 cameras along with £3000 lenses doesn’t help.

Sales of higher end cameras, measured in units, are every bit as strong as they were 20 years ago, before the explosion in sales that began about 15 years ago when digital first started to become affordable for all but rarified National Geographic staffers and their ilk.

Sales are nothing compared to ten years ago when digital cameras were improving significantly with every new model release.

Phones have poached the low end of ILC sales. The demise of print media has affected the high end to a much lesser degree.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You're telling me we have to wait all the way to HALLOWEEN for the 85mm f/2???!?!?

Can anyone tell me why you would announce this right now? This makes zero sense to me when it could easily be announced in the fall.

Now I begin the 112 day wait until the thing can actually ship...

Six months ago: "Why can't Canon publish a roadmap so we will know how to plan and save?"

Now: "Why did they announce it three months before I can get?"

Upvote 0
The 5D Mark IV was introduced at $3,499 USD in 2016.

$3,499 in 2016 could buy what $3,737.90 can buy in 2020.

The EOS R5 was introduced in the U.S. at $3,899

That's a 4.3% increase over the price of the 5D Mark IV at launch when adjusted for inflation.

As for the EOS 5D Mark IV holding its value over the course of the last 4+ years...

View attachment 191318
The pricing in the US can be more competitive than in other countries. Amazon Australia is nowhere near as good as Amazon US for instance and didn't even exist here until 2019

5D3 at release from Canon = $4300 (all numbers in AUD) @2012
5D4 at release from canon = $5700. resellers = $5k @2016
currently from Canon = $4100. resellers = $4k
=> so only 25% drop compared to 40% from your amazon USA chart

R5 at release from Canon = $7100. resellers = $6600 @2020
exchange rate against yen is ~5% lower since 2016
Inflation increase is ~10% over 4 years.
Now 5 year local warranty
25% gross increase from 2016 5Div and 30+% increase from the resellers

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
There is a wide range of UHS-II SD cards available. Sandisk specify 300mb/s (UHS-I is only 170mb/s).
A much smaller range of CFexpress cards and Canon (to my knowledge) han't released qualified CFe cards for the minimum speed needed. Only the 1DXiii has a list and the R5 write speed should be similar to 5.5k/60
I have posted this before and happy to update if someone has new information/spec sheets

The Canon Website indicates that for RAW movie 5.5k60p Recording four CFExpress Cards are supported:
ProGrade Cobalt 325GB;
SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB; and
Lexar 256 and 128 GB cards.

progradedigital.com/products/cfexpress/
Max speed, size, avg speed
600MB/s Gold 120GB => Avg 145MB/s
1000MB/s Gold 256GB => 350MB/s
1000MB/s Gold 512GB-1T => 500MB/s
1400MB/s Cobalt 325GB => 1300MB/s
The avg to max speed difference is huge from 25% to 50% for gold but cobalt is pretty close to max.

Sandisk write speeds with no mention of sustained/average speed! link is:
https://shop.westerndigital.com/pro...extreme-pro-cfexpress-type-b#SDCFE-064G-ANCIN
64GB 800 MB/s
128/256GB 1200 MB/s
521GB 1400 MB/s

Lexar. I can't find a datasheet for them... only 64GB — 512GB Up to 1750MB/s read, up to 1000MB/s write.
If Lexar 128/256GB cards are okay for the 1DXiii (assumed) 1000MB/s then why aren't the Sandisk 128/256GB included?

Sony tough
128/256GB up to 1480MB/s
Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
If a director on a set such as you describe is using a $4000 hybrid stills/video camera to begin with, there's your problem.
Marketing piece straight from Canon on the R5 entitled “the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets” My inbox was full of this stuff for months. Canon built the hype up around the camera as a high end video production tool not me. You disagree . Fine. You should take it up with them. I’m only repeating what Canon has been saying for six months.

Upvote 0