Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Interesting, please elaborate about the grip, and do you previously use grip on your current/earlier bodies?

I've had grip since ~2010, and when I bought 5D4 the grip was very expensive and I thought maybe I can live without one. First studio shoot with awkward hand positions and much more tired hands, I decided to order the grip immediately. So I'd be curious why you felt it's better without.

Funny enough, for my sport shooting I have 2-3 regular assistant. The one I use most, after some 3-4 years of shooting with my gripped 5D4 and 1DX, last winter she came to me very excited "Tero! Did you know when you rotate camera to portrait, there's another shutter button on top!!!" Couldn't help but laugh.

As I age I'm beginning to pay for the sins of my past that put too much wear and tear on my right shoulder, which has begun to require that I use vertical controls when shooting in portrait mode.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Isn't that mostly due to the oppressive taxes your government places on them to discourage folks from buying cars?

Private cars are essential in Australia given the size of our country.

There is the luxury car tax but it will only apply when cars over A$77,565. 33% apply to the amount greater than $77.565. Still no where near why they are twice the car prices in America.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
No, you have to focus on the starting distance (which is difficult), the right step size (which is a guess), and the number of steps to do (which is a guess). And you can only hope that the bracket ends at a good spot. It's extremely frustrating! That's why I want to have the added option to focus on the middle of the bracket (eg. using eye AF or manual focus for the eye of a bug) and have that be the middle of the bracket. Then no matter what step size and #steps I choose, it will always get that eye in focus in the middle of the bracket. This seems so obvious, it's amazing that it's not already the way that it's implemented.

Aren't the eyes of most bugs the closest thing in the frame to the camera when you are facing the bug from its front?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
@Besisika Thank you! Very well put and agree with all of your points.

Has anyone heard if the naming convention is the same where you set 4characters then have a 4 digit image number? I've had shoots that have rolled the image number over. Not a big deal but a 5 digit image number one would put the cherry on top of this.

I think this is like they gave you your wish list camera.

There are menu options on most Canon xD and x0D EOS cameras to reset to "0001" manually or automatically when creating a new folder. If you create a new folder for each shoot and have it set to reset the Image Number with each new folder, you have 9999 frames to burn before the number rolls over.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
No, the discounted price also includes he bonus pack.

"It was confirmed to me by Digidirect that Canon Australia was offering the spare battery and custom strap to them and provided the pricing to justify their AUD400 pre-order bundle. I am checking if an alternative reseller that is offering an adapter instead will also include the battery. I need the adapter, I don't need the battery or strap (or UHS-I card)"

"EDIT: CameraPro says that Canon Australia have run out of their custom straps and resellers can no longer offer them for pre-orders. This confirms Canon's comment about pre-ordering numbers. Camerapro will not guarantee sufficient quantities for the initial release if I order today. "

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The pricing in the US can be more competitive than in other countries. Amazon Australia is nowhere near as good as Amazon US for instance and didn't even exist here until 2019

5D3 at release from Canon = $4300 (all numbers in AUD) @2012
5D4 at release from canon = $5700. resellers = $5k @2016
currently from Canon = $4100. resellers = $4k
=> so only 25% drop compared to 40% from your amazon USA chart

R5 at release from Canon = $7100. resellers = $6600 @2020
exchange rate against yen is ~5% lower since 2016
Inflation increase is ~10% over 4 years.
Now 5 year local warranty
25% gross increase from 2016 5Div and 30+% increase from the resellers

I haven't bought a camera from amazon in at least eight years. But their price history will reflect the MSRP in the U.S., since they and all other authorized Canon dealers advertise Canon cameras and lenses at the MSRP, which is what camel-camel reports: the price displayed on listings from amazon and third party sellers at amazon. B&H, Adorama, amazon (sold directly by amazon), and Canon USA all have identical advertised prices on all current Canon products.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, but what happens in actuality when you try to use those cards and if they are too slow, does it mention it or do you get garbage?

They might work fine. They might tell you they won't work very well. They might make you think they're working well until you review your results after the fact. No one knows because they haven't tested them yet.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The pricing in the US can be more competitive than in other countries

Pricing isn't competitive at all for Canon products from authorized Canon sellers in the U.S. They all have identical advertised/published pricing for all currently cataloged Canon products: the MSRP less any factory authorized "instant rebates" that all of them offer at the same time. They are allowed to advertise prices higher than the MSRP, but not lower.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Marketing piece straight from Canon on the R5 entitled “the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets” My inbox was full of this stuff for months. Canon built the hype up around the camera as a high end video production tool not me. You disagree . Fine. You should take it up with them. I’m only repeating what Canon has been saying for six months.

Sure, for B roll and stunts. Which never last more than few seconds or minutes at the most. Nowhere near twenty minutes!

You're also ignoring the fact that all high end production sets have multiple copies of each camera (and everything else they might need that can be supplied in duplicate) on hand.

From your link:

“With its ability to record in cinema industry-standard formats and codecs, the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets.”

Cinema workflows on high-end production sets include multiple copies of each camera needed.

But keep on insisting that Canon promised something that you'll obviously never need: a single camera to use as the exclusive, only camera on a high end production set of the kind that you've never been remotely near.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
As I age I'm beginning to pay for the sins of my past that put too much wear and tear on my right shoulder, which has begun to require that I use vertical controls when shooting in portrait mode.

Yea I can't think shooting much without grip. Occasionally like if I go late night drinking/people-watching, I might take grip off and slap some 35mm prime to make it look less worth for stealing. But almost always gripped.

Upvote 0

korbar

Preordering Fool?
Jul 7, 2020
Sure, for B roll and stunts. Which never last more than few seconds or minutes at the most. Nowhere near twenty minutes!

You're also ignoring the fact that all high end production sets have multiple copies of each camera (and everything else they might need that can be supplied in duplicate) on hand.

From your link:

“With its ability to record in cinema industry-standard formats and codecs, the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets.”

Cinema workflows on high-end production sets include multiple copies of each camera needed.

But keep on insisting that Canon promised something that you'll obviously never need: a single camera to use as the exclusive, only camera on a high end production set of the kind that you've never been remotely near.

I've said it before and on other sites but goddamn am I stoked to see what some low budget fimmakers do with the ability to have 8K raw for doing visual effects and things. It's an incredibly powerful tool to have access to in this format.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You haven’t answer my question whether you will be happy to pay A$1000 more. even considering the additional warranty.

I like to know which manufactures will cover water damages and user error under their warranty.

If whatever price I am required to pay for something is worth that much to my use case, I'd be willing to pay what it costs. If not, then I'll wait for the price and its value to me meet. I didn't upgrade from the 5D Mark III to the 5D Mark IV until the price dropped almost $1,000 from the initial MSRP and included a free BG-E20 grip.

What I have not done in the past and will not do regarding the EOS R5 is become so embittered about the price being higher than what I can afford or am willing to pay for it to the point that I let it dominate my every thought and I spend all of my time complaining about it on an internet forum to people who have ZERO control over how much it's going to cost me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014

That is my understanding too that Canon Australia offers the bonus pack but some suggested otherwise.

In addition to the bonus pack (incentive), most local stores have dropped over A$500 on the preorder price.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That is my understanding too that Canon Australia offers the bonus pack but some suggested otherwise.

In addition to the bonus pack (incentive), most local stores have dropped over A$500 on the preorder price.

It was confirmed to me by Digidirect that Canon Australia was offering the spare battery and custom strap to them and provided the pricing to justify their AUD400 pre-order bundle. I am checking if an alternative reseller that is offering an adapter instead will also include the battery. I need the adapter, I don't need the battery or strap (or UHS-I card)

EDIT: CameraPro says that Canon Australia have run out of their custom straps and resellers can no longer offer them for pre-orders. This confirms Canon's comment about pre-ordering numbers. Camerapro will not guarantee sufficient quantities for the initial release if I order today.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
If whatever price I am required to pay for something is worth that much to my use case, I'd be willing to pay what it costs. If not, then I'll wait for the price and its value to me meet. I didn't upgrade from the 5D Mark III to the 5D Mark IV until the price dropped almost $1,000 from the initial MSRP.

What I have not done in the past and will not do regarding the EOS R5 is become so embittered about the price being higher than what I can afford or am willing to pay for it to the point that I let it dominate my every thought and I spend all of my time complaining about it on an internet forum to people who have ZERO control over how much it's going to cost me.

It isn’t about whether the R5 is meeting my use case or not, or whether I can afford it or not.

My point is price PARITY between America and Australia. Of course warranty variations should be included into the price. Therefore I have control how much I willing to pay by buying from overseas.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It isn’t about whether the R5 is meeting my use case or not, or whether I can afford it or not.

My point is price PARITY between America and Australia. Of course warranty variations should be included into the price. Therefore I have control how much I willing to pay by buying from overseas.

How much it might cost to someone halfway around the world has no effect on my decision to buy or not buy anything. If it meets my needs for the price I have to pay, that's all I have upon which to base my decision. Buying overseas for me would mean risking having no warranty at all. I'm not willing to risk that on a single purchase that large. Perhaps if I were in the market for 100 units, the total savings would be enough to cover the cost of writing off one or two units that might be defective.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The custom strap out of stock may or may not indicate that Canon Australia has reached its target preorder number. That’s your assumption. We don’t know how many straps were offered.

It could also that most local stores offered over A$500 soon after the official announcement helped. No one will know.

That wasn't my assumption. That's a quote from what Camera Pro told David-Sydney.

Upvote 0