Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I hate to be a pessimist about this camera...but couldn't they have just updated the firmware and added most of these features? Unless that's a new generation of camera sensor, this is a really poor upgrade over the SL2 and a lot of work to add shitty 4K.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I hate to be a pessimist about this camera...but couldn't they have just updated the firmware and added most of these features? Unless that's a new generation of camera sensor, this is a really poor upgrade over the SL2 and a lot of work to add shitty 4K.

DIGIC 8 vs 7
Sensor quoted on Canon for SL2 is 24.2mp. and 24.1mp for SL3. Could be a typo, could indicate a slightly updated sensor. Knowing Canon I'd tend to think it's the same one.
Yes 4K shooting but it's nothing but IPB (so no editing/grading for this camera) and no 24fps in HD. Again, Canon is not targeting this camera at video people. It's enough to say "It shoots 4K now!!!" and that's that. This is being sold to moms and people who just want more than their iPhone.

Being the baby Rebel... that's precisely who it should be targeted to. All is well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
DIGIC 8 vs 7
It's enough to say "It shoots 4K now!!!" and that's that. This is being sold to moms and people who just want more than their iPhone.

Being the baby Rebel... that's precisely who it should be targeted to. All is well.

And guess how disappointed those moms will be, when they try to film in 4k and the camera won't focus. If that is the intended target audience for this camera, it would be better not to put 4k in there at all. After all Canon only puts features in their cameras, that are fully mature and usable.

Upvote 0
And guess how disappointed those moms will be, when they try to film in 4k and the camera won't focus. If that is the intended target audience for this camera, it would be better not to put 4k in there at all. After all Canon only puts features in their cameras, that are fully mature and usable.
Since it's using digic 8 and the sensor resolution is being reported at 24.1 versus 24.2, it could be using a slightly upgraded dpaf sensor. This would allow it to focus the same as a m50 when the mirror is out of the way for a more point and shoot type style.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
DIGIC 8 vs 7
Sensor quoted on Canon for SL2 is 24.2mp. and 24.1mp for SL3. Could be a typo, could indicate a slightly updated sensor. Knowing Canon I'd tend to think it's the same one.
Yes 4K shooting but it's nothing but IPB (so no editing/grading for this camera) and no 24fps in HD. Again, Canon is not targeting this camera at video people. It's enough to say "It shoots 4K now!!!" and that's that. This is being sold to moms and people who just want more than their iPhone.

How about just saying people and leaving the 'Moms' part out of it because it's nothing but a gender slap in the face?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon knows DSLR is dead but he wants us to believe still live :) So we don't stop buying them yet.
Right, DSLRs are >50% of the ILC market but Canon knows they're dead. Or maybe they're only mostly dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. All dead, there's only one thing you can do...go through the battery compartment and look for loose change.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Since it's using digic 8 and the sensor resolution is being reported at 24.1 versus 24.2, it could be using a slightly upgraded dpaf sensor. This would allow it to focus the same as a m50 when the mirror is out of the way for a more point and shoot type style.

The M50 and RP focus in 4k is a lot slower than the DPAF in the other video modes. Pretty much unusably slow.

Upvote 0
The M50 and RP focus in 4k is a lot slower than the DPAF in the other video modes. Pretty much unusably slow.
Well, sure.

But I was thinking more of regular everyday shooting of pictures. I'm pretty sure for a very large percentage of pictures using Live View will be far better than using the OVF. Regular non 4k video will be much faster too.

Since this is marketed to beginners, those beginners will soon see the RP, R and any other future canon mirrorless system as a real upgrade, as that (comparatively) fantastic focus system they have on their live view is something that they could also use when looking through the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Actually, being a pessimist might be useful for what this means for future Canon releases and "4k". The EOS R and RP, both Digic 8 cameras, can only do 4k with massive crops. Likewise for the M50 that originated the Digic8. There's no reason to believe Digic 8 can handle non-cropped 4k or that Canon has any strategy for pixel binning to do so.

Also, its weird that Canon is turning off major features (DPAF in 4k, 1080/24) when Digic 8 can clearly handle them...

Upvote 0
DIGIC 8 vs 7

Their press release indicates they're targeting videographers. The headline alone touts the video features.

"Empowering Users with an Easy Way to Express Themselves, the New Camera Delivers Stunning Photos and 4K Videos in a Lightweight Body "

And they specifically mention videographers.

"DIGIC 8 helps improve autofocus performance and allows for the processing of 4K video and 4K time-lapse movies – helping budding videographers record scenes such as the colourful evening skyline in brilliant detail. "

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Their press release indicates they're targeting videographers. The headline alone touts the video features.

"Empowering Users with an Easy Way to Express Themselves, the New Camera Delivers Stunning Photos and 4K Videos in a Lightweight Body "

And they specifically mention videographers.

"DIGIC 8 helps improve autofocus performance and allows for the processing of 4K video and 4K time-lapse movies – helping budding videographers record scenes such as the colourful evening skyline in brilliant detail. "

People who want to do basic video, sure. Videographers? Don't seem so. People that are doing it more regularly are generally going to want a more robust codec than IPB. The camera doesn't appear to offer recording in ALL I

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
How about just saying people and leaving the 'Moms' part out of it because it's nothing but a gender slap in the face?

...... :unsure: The utterly overwhelming number of people I personally know (and those I constantly see out and about) with $500 entry level DLSR kits from Canon and Nikon, etc... are the Moms who want an upgrade from their iPhones for family pictures and kids doing sports, dance, cheerleading, or whatever. Trust me, I'm a dad with 3 kids ages 13, 11, and 7. I do photography for dance schools. I know about 400-500 dance moms. I know what they have. Canon Rebels and T6s and Nikon D3000s etc... The dad's aren't buying the DSLRs. The Moms are.

I'm not sure what is a "gender slap in the face" to simply acknowledge what Canon surely knows is one of THE core target audiences for them with this camera. They spend a ton on marketing research and they know exactly who is buying their entry level packages. (At least here in the USA)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0