Preorder: Canon EOS RP camera and kits

Would be so nice to have a pancake lens for this system! A 35 or 40mm. Or a tiny 28mm f/2.8. Would be so great for street and travel. If it ever happens, I would consider to go back to Canon from Fuji.

Yes! In fact, after I pre-ordered the RP, I bought a used 40mm pancake on eBay for the expressed purpose of fitting it to the adapter on the RP. I once owned that lens, and it was a beautiful thing - image quality I mean. The size was great on my SL1, sure, but the quality was never quite appreciated as much as it should have been. It was really L quality in retrospect. I sold it to justify some other purchase later, and always regretted it. I'm curious now to see how big it'll be with the adapter. Suspect it'll still be smaller than the 35 1.8.

A native R pancake would be amazing, although I don't think we can expect the magic quality of the 40mm to be likely.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
Thank you @Canon Rumors Guy, I ordered through your links. Have been a long time reader but haven't updated by camera in over 8 years (5D II).

My main priority is a good quality camera that I can take on my multi-day mountain biking trips. If it wasn't for your tips, I would have gotten the EOS R. But I waited for a even smaller and lighter body (and cheaper).

I almost bought a Fuji X-T3 but I can't believe I got a full frame camera that is almost the same size.

Full frame just works better for my style of photography and it will be a nice update from my 5D II.

Couldn't care less about dynamic range, fps, and all this crap. I really just need a lighter camera that will allow me to carry more water into the backcountry. Really, 400g is 400ml of water, which means I can go a few more hours on my bike without having to find water resupply

Cheers!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Thank you @Canon Rumors Guy, I ordered through your links. Have been a long time reader but haven't updated by camera in over 8 years (5D II).

My main priority is a good quality camera that I can take on my multi-day mountain biking trips. If it wasn't for your tips, I would have gotten the EOS R. But I waited for a even smaller and lighter body (and cheaper).

I almost bought a Fuji X-T3 but I can't believe I got a full frame camera that is almost the same size.

Full frame just works better for my style of photography and it will be a nice update from my 5D II.

Couldn't care less about dynamic range, fps, and all this crap. I really just need a lighter camera that will allow me to carry more water into the backcountry. Really, 400g is 400ml of water, which means I can go a few more hours on my bike without having to find water resupply

Cheers!
That's a great point!
Measure a camera not by DR stops but by the number of extra kilometers and the extra possibly awesome pictures you can get while at it. This is something that really matter for me as well:)
There's no fun in hiking or back-country biking with a back pain...
Thanks,
Nelu

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I doubt that you have information about buying decisions or did a poll about buying decisions for a specific camera model. So there goes your assumption about customers buying what and why and why not in general. Pure speculation as ILC market share says something about a type not a make or model. A 1DX II and a Mark IV are in the same boat as a 80D, 6D II, Rebel etc. What does that say about the RP or R in that matter? Nothing right? Choosing one thing over the other feature wise doesn't mean it's not important per se, it might just lost importance against other features that are needed more by that person. A global argument, which you did, doesn't remotely feature this. Lets face it, the argument you did was done only to discredit the guys opinion, because surely enough he didn't come up with the general topic what R buyers could think and what they thought in respect to DR, that was your take on it. He just pointed at one thing of the camera, and surely some people value this, as the following discussion showed. Is it the majority? Who knows..Last you flavour it with people looking foolish and for a good laugh, making it therefor a personal insult.. Some could argue that these are the reasons for heating up discussions: move topic on market share, forget about the details and make it global-》therefore argument must be wrong, insult at the end, done with the guy. Its always the same scheme in this forum and its a annoying trend here, in politics, youtube comments etc.

With all due respect I don't see insult in the original statement. I also suspect that some folk simple don't have the ability to use logic. While there are sometimes condescending remarks made on CR, and really there shouldn't be, quite often they are in reply to pretty illogical arguments. Why should statements that are not supported by reasonable evidence or common sense simply go unchallenged. If you say the sky is always orange because you happen to see it only at sunset should I simply accept that or suggest that there is proof that it usually appears blue or is it just my opinion against yours, both equally valid?

I suspect that if it were not for troll like idiotic comments all of the discourse on CR would be much more polite and ultimately more useful to all of us. The only solution I see is to not reply to at least the lamest of statements that 99% of us know are nonsense but unfortunately many have trouble restraining themselves when they hear Trump-like nonsense statements. That's my opinion.

Jack

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Cheers!
And the Canon it lighter than the Fuji! Can't wait to see some pics.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Hmm... Plenty of DR on which camera exactly?

Any camera made since the Canon D30. Literally. Unless you have bright sky versus deep canyon shadow or sun-in-the-frame, you have enough DR. You had enough DR on E6 Provia (8ev).

The thing is, 11-stop DR means you can capture some details in a scene with 11-stop contrast. But in order to process it, you actually need more room.

That's not how it works. A DxO reported DR of 11 stops doesn't mean there's a cliff on the shadow end of the sensor. DxO looks for a noise threshold and stops counting once they hit that. That doesn't mean the image stops. This is why I'll make the comment that a 1 stop DR difference between sensors amounts to a few ticks on the NR slider. If you wrote an algorithm to NR the RAW file while leaving it RAW, then fed that file to DxO's software, the software would spit out a higher DR for the same sensor.

Naturally that won't work for 2, 3, 4, 1,000 stops. NR can only do so much. The point is that a DxO reported DR is not a cliff past which all data ceases to exist.

I'm not actually fond of sun-in-the-frame shots. Unless the sun is behind the clouds or very low down to the horizon. Higher DR in those conditions means less of the sky is blown out.

That's not being contested. It's also trivial to handle with two frames, a GND filter, or if the exposure is long enough, a 3x5 card moved over the top of the frame at the right moment.

Also when shooting seascapes or waterfalls, you get very bright spots on the water. almost as bright as the sun sometimes. Higher DR often means a difference between a keeper and a throw-away shot, no matter how good your skills are and what filters you use.

HDR handles this without issue. For that matter, the water is generally bright and part of the highlight half of the scene which means so do filters. Beyond that...water in sunlight with no specular highlights at all looks fake as can be. You don't want large blown out areas of white. But the sun glistening off the water is what our eyes see, and our eyes have more DR than any Sony sensor.

We see there's a lot of wonderful shots taken with low-DR cameras. That's fine. What we don't see is failed and discarded shots taken with low-DR cameras.

We also don't see the failed and discarded shots taken with high-DR cameras. Sony fans act as if Canon (off-chip ADC) sensors have less DR than Velvia while their DR is unlimited. Both parts are completely false. To give one example: there is a 2.3 stop difference between a 5Ds and a D8x0. That's 19%. That's a fairly narrow band. When you start getting into contrasty scenes it means a D8x0 might capture the scene in one frame where the 5Ds could not, but often neither can do it successfully in one.

Sony fans also like to point to pictures where they pushed shadows 1ev and say "Canon can't do that" when a D30 could do it.

On my (calibrated) monitor the unedited shot doesn't look hugely contrasty in the first place. It looks like it wasn't very dark in that canyon as I can see all the details in the shadows in the left (unedited) image.

You cannot see 'all the details' in the left side. What you can see are shapes of things. The darkest parts are flat black, while a lot of it is just shy of flat black. E6 film could not have handled that scene. Portra would have struggled, though I imagine MF Portra scanned on a high end scanner could have handled it. The right B&W film and developer could have handled it, though dodging and burning it into place in the darkroom (versus a scan edited in PS) wouldn't have been fun.

The point wasn't to say an original 7D could match an on-chip ADC sensor. The point was that when people act as if Canon's older architecture is horrible on DR they are wrong. Our choices are between good and very good.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I doubt that you have information about buying decisions or did a poll about buying decisions for a specific camera model.

He didn't claim to.

Choosing one thing over the other feature wise doesn't mean it's not important per se, it might just lost importance against other features that are needed more by that person.

That was the point. DR is nice to have. It's not THE single measure of sensor IQ or camera quality.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

Cheers!
I’m thinking that the RP and the 24-240 lens might be a great combo for hikers. I wonder how long before A teleconverter shows up, and how well iterforms at F8?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Tamron is good but a bit expensive for astrophotography alone. I'm not doing a lot of astro. But it doesn't look like a general wide landscape photography lens. I've already got EF 16-35 f4 for it. Tamron can't replace it purely because of logistics. It has issues with the filter mount.

It doesn't match the wide end of the Tamron, but the Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 is highly regarded for astro and faster still. I picked one up but I've only been able to do a few frames on it. Impressed so far. Just make sure you get a good copy.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Focus stacking! Very cool feature in the RP and since I shoot macro I look forward to seeing it in which ever body I buy to replace my 5D3 one day.

fun/useful feature, interesting to see them offer it finally. Its been around on some older canons, depending if they were supported by Magic Lantern. I think they should just outright hire the guy from Magic Lantern and pay him a bucket of money.. Imagine what he could do with a salary and more importantly without having to reverse engineer everything!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0