Preorder: You can now preorder the Canon EOS R system and other new Canon gear

I really don't understand how Canon thinks that it is great to have the option to put the ND and CP filters on EF lenses via the adapter yet this isn't possible with the R mount... I highly doubt that a future R mount camera will allow for internal CP and ND filters. Or perhaps there will be? The way I see it, the filter adapters have a limited period of usage - only until the current EF lenses have been rereleased for R...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The way I see it, the filter adapters have a limited period of usage - only until the current EF lenses have been rereleased for R...
The lenses that benefit most are the TS-E 17/4L and the 11-24/4L – the front filter options for them are costly and cumbersome (filters the size of salad and dinner plates, respectively). I suspect those lenses are pretty far down on Canon's priority list.

Personally, since I use both of those lenses for travel, the filter-adapter is a real plus about the system. I don't plan on getting the EOS R, but I have considered a 5DsR so a high-MP version of the R might be tempting.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
I really don't understand how Canon thinks that it is great to have the option to put the ND and CP filters on EF lenses via the adapter yet this isn't possible with the R mount... I highly doubt that a future R mount camera will allow for internal CP and ND filters. Or perhaps there will be? The way I see it, the filter adapters have a limited period of usage - only until the current EF lenses have been rereleased for R...
Actually the filter option adapter makes EF lenses very attractive, if not as much as RF lenses. I am thinking to buy Milvus 1.4/25 with the filter capable adapter. I am not even sure I want Milvus 1.4/25 for RF Mount over this configuration, :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

A limited period of usage? If you have the EF lens, then there will be little reason to buy the R version whenever (and if) it is released. The filter adapter sounds interesting enough so that I am considering buying the new R camera, but am looking at buying one or two new EF lenses for it. With the adapter, I won't have to get multiple circular polarizers at different sizes as I do now. While there may be small improvements in the new R lenses compared to the EF originals, it hardly seems worth paying the price of any expensive L lens. The EF lenses with adapter will last me for the next 20 plus years.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The lenses that benefit most are the TS-E 17/4L and the 11-24/4L – the front filter options for them are costly and cumbersome (filters the size of salad and dinner plates, respectively). I suspect those lenses are pretty far down on Canon's priority list.

Personally, since I use both of those lenses for travel, the filter-adapter is a real plus about the system. I don't plan on getting the EOS R, but I have considered a 5DsR so a high-MP version of the R might be tempting.
I have and enjoy a 5DsR (in addition to 5DIV which I also enjoy). I use it for birding (with 400 and 500mm lenses). I still hope for a 5DsRMkII being announced next year. So I will restrain from getting a high-MP mirrorless version at least until the end of next year...

Upvote 0
Meanwhile in Europe:
Eos R + cheapest adaptor : 2 519,99 € = 2,922.47 US$
Eos R + 24-105 F4 : 3 529,99 € = 4,094.17 US$
50mm f1.2 : 2 519,99 € = 2,922.47 US$
28-70 f2 : 3 249 € = 3,768.26 US$
Adaptor with control ring : 229€ = 265.57 US$
Adaptor with CPL: 329€ = 381.56 US$
Adaptor with Vari ND : 449€ = 520.71 US$

We are quite far from the announced prices

Upvote 0

Firillu

Zobb f’sormok
Feb 16, 2017
Pluto
Pretty sure it will be a long and protracted, and messy switch from EF to RF for some.

I want to buy the 11-24mm but I'm not going to spend that money on a lens with an end of life mount. If I buy an RF lens it won't be compatible with my relatively new EF bodies, 5D IV and 7D II. To complicate things, I'm not even convinced anymore that the advantages of mirrorless are worth the headaches at the moment for me.

I remember when I switched from FD to EF, it was a no brainer, but this time round, not so much, especially with the non-compatiblity with the EOS M system.

Upvote 0
Why do you think they just announced some very expensive highend ef (the 400 and 600 mm) lenses? Looks like that is a statement of continued commitment to the ef system for some time to come. At least via the converter especially when its output will be similar in quality as the native EF mounts performance

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

I'm in exactly the same situation, I use the TS-E17 and the 11-24 and the ability to VND the 11-24 for video and polarize the 17 for reflections are huge for me. I've also pontificated the 5DSr for higher resolution on occasions, if a high resolution R came out with decent video capabilities (at least the equal of my 1DX MkII's) then I'd be all in. Now if an R'1DX' and an R'5DSr' came out I'd be torn...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I have no complaints about the new body or lens system, but I feel as though the pricing is pretty far off from what we've been expecting. Ordered the 32mm EF-M lens and I'm going to sit tight until they announce another body. I slow down footage a lot and would've bought the new R if it had 4k60, but now I'm just hoping it'll drive down prices of the 1dx mkii in anticipation of its replacement that should be out before the 2020 Olympics.

I wish they'd release a weather-sealed C100 variant. The R was so, so close to being perfect for video shooters.

Upvote 0