Pressure By the Nikon D600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2012
RLPhoto said:
MK5GTI said:
i don't think anybody here should be brand-loyal, unless you are paid by Canon, whoever has the product better for my use & budget, i will go for it.

agreed, I have looked at the nikon system. Its very promising but I dug alittle deeper to see If i'd REALLY Switch. What is keeping me here is the prime glass. Thats Really about it,

- Canon 135mm f/2 Performs better than the nikon 135mm f/2 DC and is a whole lot cheaper.

- Canon 50mm 1.2L performs better than any 50mm from 1.2-2.8, Which I love and Nikon doesnt quite match.

- Canon 24mmL II is alot cheaper than nikon alternative and equal IQ.

The catch is now is that canon makes up this savings over nikon with their new Bodys. Jeez, $849 for just a T4i? Seriously...

Nikons bodies are cheaper but they get you on the glass. Flash wise, nikon is alittle cheaper but canons 600RT is ridiculously priced. Almost make me want to just use PW's.

Can't switch, but with all these new bodies from nikon offering alot for less, Makes me stare at my aging 5D...

Canon 135L has no real competitor in Nikon's lineup but I disagree about the 50mm. I mean, unless you really can't live without f/1.2 there are many nice alternatives. Also, 24mm is a replaceable focal lenght. There are 21, 25 and 28mm by zeiss, a new 28mm by Nikon, or even 35mm IMHO doesn't make that lot of difference.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Albi86 said:
RLPhoto said:
MK5GTI said:
i don't think anybody here should be brand-loyal, unless you are paid by Canon, whoever has the product better for my use & budget, i will go for it.

agreed, I have looked at the nikon system. Its very promising but I dug alittle deeper to see If i'd REALLY Switch. What is keeping me here is the prime glass. Thats Really about it,

- Canon 135mm f/2 Performs better than the nikon 135mm f/2 DC and is a whole lot cheaper.

- Canon 50mm 1.2L performs better than any 50mm from 1.2-2.8, Which I love and Nikon doesnt quite match.

- Canon 24mmL II is alot cheaper than nikon alternative and equal IQ.

The catch is now is that canon makes up this savings over nikon with their new Bodys. Jeez, $849 for just a T4i? Seriously...

Nikons bodies are cheaper but they get you on the glass. Flash wise, nikon is alittle cheaper but canons 600RT is ridiculously priced. Almost make me want to just use PW's.

Can't switch, but with all these new bodies from nikon offering alot for less, Makes me stare at my aging 5D...

Canon 135L has no real competitor in Nikon's lineup but I disagree about the 50mm. I mean, unless you really can't live without f/1.2 there are many nice alternatives. Also, 24mm is a replaceable focal lenght. There are 21, 25 and 28mm by zeiss, a new 28mm by Nikon, or even 35mm IMHO doesn't make that lot of difference.

I suppose, the 50mm prime is the french fries of the camera world. Many differences and preparations but boils down to personal tastes. The 50L has nothing that looks quite like it.

Zeiss - No AF, No good for me. Landscapers will love it though.

28mm nikon has nothing on the 24L II or the Nikkor 24mm. Except price, but premium, super speed glass isn't cheap either. I get the same IQ for less with canon.

35mm isn't wide enough for my crop bodies. Not an option for me.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
preppyak said:
RLPhoto said:
$849 for just a T4i? Seriously...
You do realize the T3i and T2i released at the exact same price for the body. And that the T1i I believe was $799 for the body. It's not even like the 5dIII where there was a big price jump, its the exact same pricing as previous generations.

Competeing Nikon D3200 body and lens, $699.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+D3200+24.2-Megapixel+Digital+SLR+Camera+with+18-55mm+Zoom+Lens+-+Black/4826999.p?id=1218542603974&skuId=4826999

My post was about nikon bodies being more affordable that canons offerings yet not offering as much IQ difference as previous generations but steep price increases compared to nikons offerings.

Upvote 0
There appears to be a strong view on the forums that Nikon lenses cost more at the moment than Canon. It seems that Canon are charging a lot more for their very latest lens releases compared to their earlier versions even allowing for 'original' lens prices. So if they replace a few more lenses in their range could Nikon/Canon lens cost situation be reversed?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Rodknee said:
There appears to be a strong view on the forums that Nikon lenses cost more at the moment than Canon. It seems that Canon are charging a lot more for their very latest lens releases compared to their earlier versions even allowing for 'original' lens prices. So if they replace a few more lenses in their range could Nikon/Canon lens cost situation be reversed?

Nearly 35 years ago I chose Canon because I was a struggling young newspaper photographer (and yes, many papers expect photographers to buy their own equipment) and I could get an fourth lens for what I saved buying Canon over Nikon. I'm no longer young or a newspaper photographer, but like most people I still have constraints.

This price inflation on lenses has me very concerned and I think Canon is making a big mistake if it continues.

Upvote 0
When picking a camera, I would first take a look at the price and all of the following:
1. ISO (I guess Nikon's ISO performance can be better than Canon since they are lowering down their pixels)
2. FPS
3. Weather sealed
4. AF Points (More than 19 would be nice, but I would choose to pay less than have more of this)

That is the reason why I pick Canon 7D over 5D Mark II when upgrading my camera (even though 7D ISO hurts me sometimes, but I do love it and would not sale it back even I am going to buy a new one)

Note: I also love my Canon 30D. I have used this one for everyday learning purpose...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
briansquibb said:
RLPhoto said:
briansquibb said:
I have bought a D30 just for web pictures as I like to keep up with technology

LOL Me too! Ebay'ed for 80$.

That was about the cost to me!

Just dying to stick the 200 f/2 on it :D

But, it has no direct print button, totally useless ;)

canon-D30-02-M.jpg

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
briansquibb said:
RLPhoto said:
briansquibb said:

canon-D30-02-M.jpg

I know! be careful with that rear dial! Its dangerous to turn it on without the user fully knowing what it does. ::)

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

RLPhoto said:
briansquibb said:
RLPhoto said:
briansquibb said:

canon-D30-02-M.jpg

I know! be careful with that rear dial! Its dangerous to turn it on without the user fully knowing what it does. ::)

With only 3mps it gets crucified by the DXO scoring algorithms ;D

Upvote 0
C

chadders

briansquibb said:
RLPhoto said:
briansquibb said:

canon-D30-02-M.jpg

Are we talking D30 or 30D? That camera in the pic aint no 30D

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

chadders said:
briansquibb said:
RLPhoto said:
briansquibb said:

canon-D30-02-M.jpg

Are we talking D30 or 30D? That camera in the pic aint no 30D

That is a Canon D30 - made in 2001. I also have its sucessor the D60 - I felt the need to move to 6mps ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.