Price Drops on Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II & C100 Mark II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Canon USA has dropped the prices on the Cinema EOS C300 Mark II by $4000 and Cinema EOS C100 Mark II by $1500.</p>
<p>We expected some price changes ahead of the Cinema EOS C700 announcement in September, and now we’re wondering if we’re going to see a C100 Mark III sooner than later.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1134579-REG/canon_0635c002_eos_c300_mark_ii.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296">EOS C300 Mark II $11,999</a> | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086125-REG/canon_eos_c100_cinema_eos.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296">EOS C100 Mark II $3999</a> (Wow!)</strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Re: Price Drops on Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II & C100 Mark II

Yeah, ithe c300mkii should have been this price from the beginning. Maybe $9,999 if they really wanted to be competitive. I've got my fingers crossed that this means they'll be putting out a c100mkiii with 4K, cause that would be pretty sweet. Let's just hope they don't cripple it like they always do and give it 4K at 50mb/s.

Upvote 0

Tugela said:
Price needs to drop another 70% for them to be worth what you are getting.

I just entered the thread to rejoice the possibilities we have now and the reachability of these options compared to the situation 10 years ago.

For ME I would buy them only if the prices drop by another 70% BECAUSE I do not need a specialized video cam at the moment.
BUT if I make the decision to do video instead of stills I see strong advantages compared to video capable stills options:
XLR inc. 48V phantom power
gray filters built in
EVF + Display
video centered AF system (DPAF)
and
overall ergonomics for video tasks

I have joined a documentation project inside a workshop last year - we have used a cam corder of higher quality with very good sound (condensor mics with 48V phantom) which helped a lot: We made interviews with people who barely spoke german or english so the great sound quality was essential to understand them despite their very basic language skills in these languages. Good sound recording alone (in the same device) is a reason to spend 500 EUR or more on top!

Upvote 0

Personally I hope for a C100 mk3 with a higher price to keep it out of the hands of the people here who wants the price to drop.

It's a lot more attractive proposition as a professional tool than a camera for hobbyists.

$6995 would be sweet for the next C100, given 4K, XC10 intra frame codec and preferably 10bit.

Upvote 0

The C300 mkII is a competitive camera, but the C100 mkII is too far behind to buy at anything over $2500 today. I hope the C100 mk III is just around the corner because I like the small size and ergonomics of the C100, but want 4K, some high frame rate options, and full-sensor DPAF that works with all Canon lenses.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014

OK, so the C300 II was announced April, 2015, and it became available July, 2015. That was just a year ago. Now we have a $4K price drop already. That is 25% folks. So what should we learn from it? Here are some things for me:

1.) Don't rush in to fork out the big bucks unless it is really necessary. Maybe there is some feature that is really needed, but maybe we can also get along for a few months working as we have. Staying a year behind the initial wave is a lot more cost effective.

2.) Canon seems to be overpriced for the feature set they are providing. The C300 II is a great camera. The reviews are great. But if it were selling well, then Canon would not reduce the price. There are a few things the C300 II lacks, and they are just enough to raise value questions. I look at the 1Dx II. It is an awesome camera, but on the video side it lacks just enough for me to hold off and wait to see what the 5D IV brings. I would not be surprised to see at least a $500 price drop in 2017.

3.) These price changes and continued releases are creating a spectrum of quality equipment out there. We have more choices and options than ever. For example, I keep looking at the EBay prices for the C500. Aside from DPAF it can do everything, even raw. It's been used to make feature movies. What's wrong with that? The bottom line is the product that is created, not how it was created.

Upvote 0

Etienne said:
I like the small size and ergonomics of the C100, but want 4K, some high frame rate options, and full-sensor DPAF that works with all Canon lenses.

Sounds like the 1Dx mkII to me.

Because if you put those specs in a C-series product with Canon Log, you're describing an $8000 product—at least.

Honestly... what's up with the posts that kind of lists the top technological advancements that a company offer, and then demand them for the price of the lowest priced product said company produces?

Are these serious expectations, or are you just throwing wood into the fire?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

AndreeOnline said:
Etienne said:
I like the small size and ergonomics of the C100, but want 4K, some high frame rate options, and full-sensor DPAF that works with all Canon lenses.

Because if you put those specs in a C-series product with Canon Log, you're describing an $8000 product—at least.

Honestly... what's up with the posts that kind of lists the top technological advancements that a company offer, and then demand them for the price of the lowest priced product said company produces?

It's my feeling overall we're pretty spoiled relative to what we get for the price. When I go back say 30-40 years and look at what I paid for similar items that exist today, they were more expensive relative to the wages I earned and they lacked all the modern tech. We are spoiled! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013

Jack Douglas said:
AndreeOnline said:
Etienne said:

It's my feeling overall we're pretty spoiled relative to what we get for the price. When I go back say 30-40 years and look at what I paid for similar items that exist today, they were more expensive relative to the wages I earned and they lacked all the modern tech. We are spoiled! ;)

Jack

"Spoiled" raised my eyebrow. We can possibly agree upon a definition of "come to expect". Its just the marked that has grown these days. Innovations are not only made by a couple of companys but from startups, new competitors and old alike. Features I just expect in a device of modern age and with the current competion. And yes, it is possible for a lower margin. If we go back to the days of yesteryear to say it has to be that expensive because it was so 30 years before, than it completely forgets the situation of todays markets. You cannot demand these prices for such products anymore. Those days have gone. Period. If you want to stay competitive you can do it by innovation and price. If the same level of innovation can be found in other systems you have to adjust the price. Easy as that. "Spoiled" sounds as if we should not be even thinking about getting these features in lower priced products, which is totally ignoring the times we are living in.

Upvote 0

brianftpc said:
the 5D mk4 will make the c100 mk2 obsolete. after you see the c100 mk3 it will be the final camera of the c100 line and will simply blend into the dslr line

I doubt that very much.

I see the 5D Mark IV as more a DSLR for stills photography that can also take video, whereas the C100 series is for those that take more video but can also take stills.

If you do shoot more video than stills there are many advantages to the ergonomics of the C series.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013

If the rumored C700 has a completely new type of sensor and the CFA differs significantly from the C300 MKII then it may mark a "family" of cameras. The C700 would have a companion cameras in the C300 MKIII denoting the "C" unit or "action" unit higher up the food chain.
The C100 MKIII may well then be more of a buddy camera to the C300 MKIII for lower priced work.

Canon will be looking for "Tier 1 status" with the C700 amount broadcasters something the C300 MKII definately is not.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas said:
AndreeOnline said:
Etienne said:

Jack

When I go back 30-40 years and look at what I paid for calculators and compare to what I can get today, I'm just spoiled thinking that is how electronic devices are priced today.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

I guess for me as an older person, I can't expect those who are younger to share my perspective. I recall very well how the 6D was cursed up and down and yet I am still in awe at what I have been able to do with it and how it has re-fueled the passion (I never imagined my old F1/FD200 would be replaced by the capability I have in my 6D/300X2).

Sure I like better/more and don't begrudge anyone what their heart desires. So in that context I'd say "I'm" spoiled and leave out the "we". Never the less, I do get tired of the "they're only putting in a nickle but they want a dollar song", crowd. ;)

Still, as always, to each his own.

Jack

Upvote 0

I'm not sure how Canon can avoid making the C100 MkIII just a smaller C300 MkII....I don't think they can have another iteration without 4k. Even though I'm the type of person who doesn't really care about 4k, too many consumers are caught up in the spec race, and Canon has to compete with that. That being said, the C100 is a great line. MUCH preferable to any DSLR for event and budget documentary work. I'll still shoot with the original C100 over any DSLR or mirrorless.

Upvote 0