Prices trending higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm itching to click the buy button on the 5d mk3, but the last week or so it's jumped $400. Is MAP really starting to effect things? Or does wedding season really lower inventory this much? I view the body as a solid $3k and the kit a solid $3,500 price point. Might need to check to see if the loyalty program is valid on the refurb mk3's.

03868-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-price-graph.png

May 31, 2011
I've been waiting a while. The lowest I have seen it with having to sell a few things and presuming I get the price I want on said items, was around $2700... which was still really high. Buy.com had a deal where you got $600 in buy.com store credits when you buy the mkiii body. It essentially made the mkii $2400... and I was ready to jump on it, but then you read the fine print and you can only use $200 at a time for the credits... so it wasn't really a good deal.

I've been hoping the Big Value Inc. deal for $2500 comes back... but it never has. Not even a sniff. It's borderline depressing.

Stay diligent... a good price will come up... we just have to keep looking.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
daniela said:
I am looking for the 300mm 2.8 L II lens. But instead of getting chepaer, the price rises and rises...

Yeah! Canon, milk us

Must be an EU thing. In the US, it's flat and cheaper than at launch (the increase at the left side was before launch when they raised prices relative to what was announced as expected retail pricing).

03454-Canon-EF-300mm-f2.8L-IS-II-USM-price-graph.png

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
It might be a longshot guess.

But possibly with the anticipation of the Magic Lantern success with the RAW video on the 5D3, people are buying them for some really 'cheap' high end video coming out soon?

I dunno if people buy things like this in anticipation of such functionality, but it is moving quite rapidly with ML and very successful so far....maybe people are buying them for that reason, and well, when demand goes up, so does price?

My $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

Britsinbeavercreek said:
What I don't understand is why MAP is keeping prices high when the YEN has fallen considerably in value in recent months. Japanese exports should now be much cheaper for buyers.
This stuff is slow moving, they could have hedged the currencies for six month periods for example. You never know when the cut off points are. Plus it's driven by market dem and, they will maximize profits when they can.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
the MAP factor is apparent, but I find that what differentiates the retailers right now is the freebie bundles they put together. Right now, for example, Adorama throws in an extra battery and the grip, when you purchase the 5D3+24-105. nice. when you consider the 2% back feature as well (and you play it right an actually use that for something useful) then the Adorama price is not that much different from the $3500 days for that kit.

I just don't get the 5D3 bundles that include an SD card, but Adoramas "power up for free" deal is noteworthy

Upvote 0
Id presume this is the worst time of year to buy gear. But I just picked up the 24-70 for less than I have ever seen it so I am happy. From past experience, usually late Nov and early Dec is best. I think IMAP has kept the price higher but you can still find great deals if you wait and look. Also, I only buy from amazon and bh so I do not expect to see prices like the ones you have stated for the 5dIII. Though if I remember right, I think amazon had the 5dIII back in Nov for 2999 or maybe even less for about a day. Good luck and stay patient. It pays off if you don't need the gear right now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.