Pricing Details for the Canon EOS Rebel SL2 & Kit (USD)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Below are the pricing details for the Canon EOS Rebel SL2 and lens kits that will be announced tonight (technically tomorrow) at 12:01AM EST.</p>
<ul>
<li>Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Body $549</li>
<li>Canon EOS Rebel SL2 w/18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM $699</li>
</ul>
<p>We’ll have the preorder links up for various parts of the globe as soon as the new camera launches.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

Jul 21, 2010
magarity said:
Is there any benefit to the new lens compared to the older 18-55 f3.5-5.6 other than the size? I am thinking to just keep using the trusty one that came with my XTi although from time to time it needs the little cable inside replaced.

I believe the XTi kit came with the non-IS version of the lens. Since then, there have been two more non-IS versions (plus duplicates of the first two with USM motors instead of the AFD motor in yours), two IS versions, and the current STM version.

I think the IS alone would be worth the upgrade to the current lens (and well worth the slightly narrower wide open aperture), and the IQ will be slightly better as well.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
So no 4k video... And what... A slight bump up in mp and shots per second... And Wi-Fi and gps... Big whoop.

In-body 5-axis image stabilization looks pretty cool, combined with lens image stabilization it should make for some pretty steady shots. And if it has Bluetooth it would be able to connect to your smart phone a lot faster

Upvote 0
PhotographerJim said:
jdramirez said:
So no 4k video... And what... A slight bump up in mp and shots per second... And Wi-Fi and gps... Big whoop.

In-body 5-axis image stabilization looks pretty cool, combined with lens image stabilization it should make for some pretty steady shots. And if it has Bluetooth it would be able to connect to your smart phone a lot faster

Pretty steady shots for video only.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
jdramirez said:

Do you even own a 4K display?

It's amazing how on every other technology oriented forum I look at, 4K is one of the most derided new technologies ever. Movie producers hate it (my brother is a Cinephile and especially hates 4K), videogame producers hate it (most of them would rather make games look more like movies), and most of the people commenting on high end TV's just keep saying "I don't care about 4K"...
And yet among a specific segment of the camera enthusiast world 4K is upheld as some kind of miracle technology, this is one of the most sharp contrasts in consumer culture that I've ever seen.

Personally, "I" want everything in 4K (and 8K), and it's very encouraging to see at least one social group where you get some solidarity on the idea of higher resolution video standards, but when the majority of people with an interest in technology are so indifferent about 4K, it really makes you wonder about the motives of the people in this specific hobby who keep saying 4K is a necessity on practically everything they touch.

More than anything this still looks like a movement of people who just love to hate the ever dominating "old dog" company that never seems to falter in their market share.
Canon produces the most well polished photographic system ever made, but that has nothing to do with being trendy or fashionable.
I guess Canon just doesn't have enough people marketing to hipsters.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
dak723 said:
jdramirez said:

So you expected a lot more for a cheap, entry level DSLR?? Try thinking next time before you post. :-[ :-[

Actually no... but I grew inpatient waiting for better specs from canon's non 5d 1d line... so I ventured out of the fold and picked up a panasonic gx85... which does a ton of photography well... but not really... but the video... the real reason I picked it up... appears to be more than adequate for my efforts...

But my point was and still is... the new offerings from Canon are a little boring... uninspired... and really no reason for upgrading...

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
9VIII said:
jdramirez said:

It's amazing how on every other technology oriented forum I look at, 4K is one of the most derided new technologies ever. Movie producers hate it (my brother is a Cinephile and especially hates 4K), videogame producers hate it (most of them would rather make games look more like movies), and most of the people commenting on high end TV's just keep saying "I don't care about 4K"...
And yet among a specific segment of the camera enthusiast world 4K is upheld as some kind of miracle technology, this is one of the most sharp contrasts in consumer culture that I've ever seen.

Personally, "I" want everything in 4K (and 8K), and it's very encouraging to see at least one social group where you get some solidarity on the idea of higher resolution video standards, but when the majority of people with an interest in technology are so indifferent about 4K, it really makes you wonder about the motives of the people in this specific hobby who keep saying 4K is a necessity on practically everything they touch.

More than anything this still looks like a movement of people who just love to hate the ever dominating "old dog" company that never seems to falter in their market share.
Canon produces the most well polished photographic system ever made, but that has nothing to do with being trendy or fashionable.

It is on my to do list. My intention is to buy 3 4k 40" monitors/televisions and have them positioned side by side for a real enveloped feel. Right now I have 3 1080p monitors/television and it is fine... but I have most of the lenses I want and I'm happy with my body... so I've been spending money on my i7, 1070, 32GB ram computer system... and now it is time for the display.

As for 4k... I'm honestly uncertain of whether I will like it... my computer can handle the editing... if I shoot native 4k vid and downconvert the project to 1080p... I'm ok with that... If I shoot @ 4k, and then crop in to my shots and post @ 4k... I'm ok with that as well.

But is my shooting @ 1080p holding me back... a little... it looks good enough... but as I tell the girls I coach... don't let good enough be good enough.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
9VIII said:

Not necessary hipsters. Hipsters like Lomo and Holga, Canon is way too well spec'd for them :)
IMO the majority of haters are people not related to photography at all - various online personalities, spec counters, folks who can't even afford a camera but know how to read spec sheets: https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/Basement-dweller

Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
Dual Pixel for the masses! Way to go Canon! This even undercuts the Nikon D5600 by $100! And it's available in SILVER! Beat that Nikon! With the $300 10-18mm+50mm kit plus a 55-250mm, this will be a rocking, dirt cheap setup, with SHARP, SHARP, SHARP, SHARP lenses to booth! I see no point in keeping my D5500 beyond this holiday season as this SL2 will surely be well discounted by then, unless the Nikon 10-20mm beats the Canon 10-18mm in sharpness, that will be the only saving grace for Nikon. Seeing how Canon is ever pushing this 24Mp DP sensor downmarket, we should expect it to also feature in the M20 and T7, though they both will most likely not have a mic input. If the DSLR is indeed dying, then Canon is making sure it goes with a bang!

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
jdramirez said:

Finally! Someone who gets it!

I do have a 5k iMac myself and I sit 1.5 feet from it and love watching 4k videos... nature and stuff... but 99% of all content is still 1080 and heck many sites still are only streaming 720 - and who's complaining?

It is about the STORY!

p.s. you left out actors! Especially actresses - they HATE 4k because it shows everything.

Upvote 0
planetMitch said:
9VIII said:
jdramirez said:

I do have a 5k iMac myself and I sit 1.5 feet from it and love watching 4k videos... nature and stuff... but 99% of all content is still 1080 and heck many sites still are only streaming 720 - and who's complaining?

It is about the STORY!

p.s. you left out actors! Especially actresses - they HATE 4k because it shows everything.

4K video capture is not only about 4K delivery.
People who "get it" understand that.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
planetMitch said:

It is about the STORY!

I used to record movies on my vcr... on the slow speed so I could get 3 movies on one vhs cassette. I acknowledge that the story is more important than the image quality... but if you can have both... especially if you are housing online so it is there at the better format when your display technology catches up...

Upvote 0