Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Jul 21, 2010
Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

privatebydesign said:
I believe twin slots is a marketing device designed to ease the move up the range. If it was for the reason of data backup then the slots would be the same and there would be no penalty or feature restriction if you mirror information to both at the same time, i.e. actually make a 'backup'. But that is not how Canon have ever implemented dual card slots, they do it seemingly with more a mind to easing the transition up the range for people with cards from 'lower' specced cameras.

Even the 1DX MkII loses features to it's second slot. Nikon on the other hand do make true dual slot cameras where both slots take the same media and there are no limitations when duplicating, however you can't shoot tethered and to card with a Nikon, something I do regularly.

Canon's implementation of dual slots does not allow for "data peace of mind" and any pro who's contract doesn't limit liability for technical and other 'unforeseeable' issues to costs only is a fool.

I wouldn't say 'not ever'...the 1D X has two identical CF card slots, and thus I have "data peace of mind."

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

scrup said:
No 4K?

Does that mean no 4K in the next upgrade of crop cameras as well unless you get a 7Diii?

That's unrelated to this announcement as a 6D2 is not categorically 'higher' in feature set vs. some crop models, but it's an interesting question.

Off the cuff? 90D.

But it's really just a question of which 'nicer' rig comes out next -- 90D, 7D3 or 5DS2. The timing is somewhat close, actually:

Date 80D was released: 3/24/16
##D product line rough refresh timing: Medium length, about 3 years
Best guess of a 90D date: 6/24/19

Date 7D2 was released: 11/1/2014
7D# product line rough refresh timing: Long, about 5 years
Best guess of a 7D3 date: 11/1/2019

Date 5DS was released: 6/15/2015
5DS product line rough refresh timing: None. First offering.
5D# product line rough refresh timing (as a reference): Long. 4-5 years.
Best guess of a 5DS2 date: End of 2019?

Leaving out a new product line being released altogether (mirrorless?) or new Cinema/Camcorder-y offerings, I'd say the next rig to get 4K will be the 90D.

I could very well be wrong, though. A boatload of new Rebels may come out by then.

- A

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
Famateur said:
Orangutan said:
intrigue.photography said:
LonelyBoy said:
Whelp... Looks like I made the right decision in going with the Nikon D750 (with lens for the same price as this body). One card slot on a $2k camera is a deal killer for me. :eek:

I was really hoping they wouldn't do this so I could keep using my Canon lenses on a rig with DPAF and a tilty screen.

You might be the only person around here who actually bought one of those instead of just complaining that Canon doesn't make one. Good job! In all sincerity. :)

If Canon was hoping to force people to by a 5D4 by limiting features... I hope they read this because, well, it forced me to by a Nikon. My 6D is now collecting dust, and my 7D2 is my new emergency backup for weddings.

And yes, I've written Canon and left reviews on their site. So, they do know how I feel.

Excellent! I'm glad you found gear that fits your need, and simultaneously put pressure on Canon. It's good for you, and good for Canon shooters.

+1

I can't believe anybody made a system purchasing decision based on the number of card slots a model has. Af, ergonomics, lens selections etc etc I can understand, but two card slots over one? That is a rediculous defining differentiator. It smells of 'I want to be a pro and 'pro' cameras have two card slots so I can only buy a camera tha has those two card slots.' Marketing gone mad, or effective depending on your viewpoint.

How good are those two Nikon card slots when you are shooting tethered?

The funny thing is, photography is precisely how I pay my bills. So, I guess that qualifies me as a professional. You had no way of knowing that, so no offense on my end. :)

My wife and I run a photography outfit, and our bread and butter is weddings. Most wedding photographers will agree that the vast majority of the shots taken during the course of the day are irreplaceable memories. Contracts protect you financially. Dual card slots protect your reputation and, as mentioned above, our client's memories. I learned my lesson early on... The first unpaid wedding we shot as a favor to a family member, I had a card fail on my 6D. Luckily, I was able to recover the files. However, it's not something I am ever willing to risk again. Two cards writing raw files simultaneously are an absolutely mandatory requirement.

My wife has had a D750 since it was released, while I've been chugging along with my Canon gear hoping that they would release a FF with a tilt screen and two slots (I had the 70D for a spell and loved the flexibility that it allowed). The 6DII will be close, but no cigar. It disappoints me, as there's a lot that I do love about Canon.

As for Nikon and Canon compared, I am quite happy with the lenses available to both. Are there are better options on either side? Sure. As far as my new D750 is concerned, the VF AF works like a dream and really doesn't miss unless I do. The 3D tracking is far superior to Canon's sub par ITR that I've tried and really don't trust on my 7DII. To me having the tilting screen is a huge plus when shooting overhead shots during the reception, and when getting candid shots shooting from the hip. It's kinda hard to frame a shot when you can't see what you're shooting.

The great outdoors and wedding venues are our studio. So, in house studio work is of zero consequence to us. I could not care any less about tethering. I require equipment that gets the shot out in the field, that protects my client's memories (hence, dual slots), and has the features important to me.

Not to mention... It makes zero business sense to pay more than double to get a 5DIV that doesn't even have the features that make my life easier (flip screen, better sensor still for high contrast scenes, & spot metering linked to AF point), is also heavier (a big deal for all day affairs), and has a less comfortable grip (also a big deal for all day affairs). So, I was really really hoping the 6DII would check the boxes.

Upvote 0

magarity said:
One card slot on a $2k camera is a deal killer for me. :eek:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. SDXC come in up to 512GB in a single card. I know event photographers can take a lot of pictures in a day but nobody's finger can fill a half TB without a break.

100% serious. It's not about capacity. It's about the ability to seamlessly have a safeguard in place, in case a card fails. If I can add an extra layer of peace of mind to my wedding photography business, you betcha that is something very important to me.

For personal work, I can understand not needing this. For someone paying thousands to document their day, it's irresponsible to play with their memories and my reputation.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:
magarity said:
One card slot on a $2k camera is a deal killer for me. :eek:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. SDXC come in up to 512GB in a single card. I know event photographers can take a lot of pictures in a day but nobody's finger can fill a half TB without a break.

Far be it from me to defend a position I don't care about as I am no pro and I never use both slots on my 5D3, but...

I believe the argument for two cards is that a single card slot camera -- either through a camera problem or much more likely a card failure -- could lose an entire day's work that cannot be reshot (weddings immediately come to mind). Lawsuits, scorched earth bridezilla, and all that a failed card could bring about might be insured against with second card slot on board.

In that sense, with a single slot 6D2, Canon is effectively positioning 'data peace of mind' as a premium feature and not a responsibility to deliver to its customers. Somewhere in the product line, Canon logically needs to pick where you get one vs. where you get two. Many would argue (not necessarily me) that a $2k rig should be above the single card relegation line.

You might call it nerfing or 'product portfolio by deliberate feature omission', but Canon sees it as a way to keep its costs down / margins up. That's business.

I won't lose a wink of sleep over this, but that's my guess why some folks are bent out of shape at this rumor. In short, their priorities are not ours. Let them stew about this injustice, I say ::) -- it's a free internet.

- A

And I don't.

I believe twin slots is a marketing device designed to ease the move up the range. If it was for the reason of data backup then the slots would be the same and there would be no penalty or feature restriction if you mirror information to both at the same time, i.e. actually make a 'backup'. But that is not how Canon have ever implemented dual card slots, they do it seemingly with more a mind to easing the transition up the range for people with cards from 'lower' specced cameras.

Even the 1DX MkII loses features to it's second slot. Nikon on the other hand do make true dual slot cameras where both slots take the same media and there are no limitations when duplicating, however you can't shoot tethered and to card with a Nikon, something I do regularly.

Canon's implementation of dual slots does not allow for "data peace of mind" and any pro who's contract doesn't limit liability for technical and other 'unforeseeable' issues to costs only is a fool.

Though they may limit the capabilities of the second card slot, you can still simultaneously write to both. It is still a backup of your data and will provide more peace of mind than a single card slot will.

As I mentioned in reply to another one of your responses... While a contract may protect your liability, that contract won't protect your reputation or your client's memories. Protecting all of these aspects to the best of one's ability is the responsible thing to do in my line of work.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
For someone paying thousands to document their day, it's irresponsible to play with their memories and my reputation.

Then don't by a 6DII. Easy.

Indeed it is easy. :) I'm already enjoying my new D750.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
For someone paying thousands to document their day, it's irresponsible to play with their memories and my reputation.

So you're pissed because one Canon camera doesn't offer what the D750 offers? You do realize that Canon has plenty of cameras that beat the crap out of the D750 right? It's one camera dude. Grow up and be a professional.

Upvote 0

Famateur said:
A few years ago, if you wanted a Canon full-frame camera, you could choose between the 5D series and the 1D series. If you wanted a Nikon full-frame, you could choose between the D800/810 and the D4. Canon saw an opportunity for an entry-level full-frame camera and introduced the 6D. It was widely panned by forum-dwellers and YouTubers for it's weak spec sheet, but it was ultimately a very successful product for Canon.

Nikon introduced the D600 as its response and direct competitor to the 6D.

LOL - Nikon went back into the future to build a camera to compete with the 6D

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D600-vs-Canon-EOS-6D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

bdunbar79 said:
So you're pissed because one Canon camera doesn't offer what the D750 offers? You do realize that Canon has plenty of cameras that beat the crap out of the D750 right? It's one camera dude. Grow up and be a professional.

Meanwhile, a bunch of D750 owners are crying a river that their video autofocus resembles a VHS camcorder circa 1987.

The grass is always greener, folks. My personal whinefests are for spot metering at any AF point and a better, modern 50 prime made by Canon that is not a pickle jar.

Yet somehow life goes on and I don't frantically flip all my gear. That's because Canon generally does everything else just fine for me.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

scrup said:
Famateur said:
A few years ago, if you wanted a Canon full-frame camera, you could choose between the 5D series and the 1D series. If you wanted a Nikon full-frame, you could choose between the D800/810 and the D4. Canon saw an opportunity for an entry-level full-frame camera and introduced the 6D. It was widely panned by forum-dwellers and YouTubers for it's weak spec sheet, but it was ultimately a very successful product for Canon.

LOL - that's a great site you linked, it has both announcement dates wrong. By the way, I read on the Internet that the word gullible is not in the dictionary…

Just to clarify, both cameras were announced a few days apart (the D600 first) in September, 2012.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon/press-room/press-release/h6tve4go/Performance-that-Fuels-the-Passion%3A-The-New-Nikon-D600-Puts-FX-Format-in-Focus-for-Photo-Enthusiasts.html

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2012/20120917_eos6d_pressreleasedata/20120917_eos6d_pressreleasedata

Upvote 0

bdunbar79 said:
neuroanatomist said:

Truly... Canon doesn't offer ONE camera that has everything that is useful to me. If I want a flip screen, I have to give up a card slot (not happening). If I want two card slots, I have to use my APSC 7DII or buy a 5DIV and still not have the flip screen that is so often very useful in my work. If I want spot metering linked to the AF point (pretty damn useful out in the world), I have to spend $6k (and still give up the flip screen and carry around a brick). If I want a sensor that rivals the best at base ISO? Canon doesn't even have one of those. How about viewfinder AF tracking? Canon's antiquated ITR doesn't even come close to Nikon's 3D.

Being disappointed does not equate to being pissed. Being rude when you haven't bothered to read the entire story? Well, that's your territory apparently.

Being a professional is about making money no? Why on earth would I spend more than 2x MORE to get something that doesn't have everything I want, in the 5DIV? That makes ZERO business sense.

The only thing Canon bodies have going for them over Nikon in my experience is really DPAF. It is lovely. I would love to have it and it's the reason I waited as long as I could to find out whether or not the 6DII would have 2 memory slots. It doesn't seem that it will, so Canon lost a customer. That's business.

Is there such a thing as a perfect rig? Surely not. But dollar for dollar, I couldn't find a better value out there than what I have.

Upvote 0

bdunbar79 said:
neuroanatomist said:

Truly... Canon doesn't offer ONE camera that has everything that is useful to me. If I want a flip screen, I have to give up a card slot (not happening). If I want two card slots, I have to use my APSC 7DII or buy a 5DIV and still not have the flip screen that is so often very useful in my work. If I want spot metering linked to the AF point (pretty damn useful out in the world), I have to spend $6k (and still give up the flip screen and carry around a brick). If I want a sensor that rivals the best at base ISO? Canon doesn't even have one of those. How about viewfinder AF tracking? Canon's antiquated ITR doesn't even come close to Nikon's 3D.

Being disappointed does not equate to being pissed. Being rude when you haven't bothered to read the entire story? Well, that's your territory apparently.

Being a professional is about making money no? Why on earth would I spend more than 2x MORE to get something that doesn't have everything I want, in the 5DIV? That makes ZERO business sense.

The only thing Canon bodies have going for them over Nikon in my experience is really DPAF. It is lovely. I would love to have it and it's the reason I waited as long as I could to find out whether or not the 6DII would have 2 memory slots. It doesn't seem that it will, so Canon lost a customer. That's business.

Is there such a thing as a perfect rig? Surely not. But dollar for dollar, I couldn't find a better value out there than what I have.

Let me put it this way then: Who cares?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

The funny thing is, photography is precisely how I pay my bills. So, I guess that qualifies me as a professional. You had no way of knowing that, so no offense on my end. :)

My wife and I run a photography outfit, and our bread and butter is weddings. Most wedding photographers will agree that the vast majority of the shots taken during the course of the day are irreplaceable memories. Contracts protect you financially. Dual card slots protect your reputation and, as mentioned above, our client's memories. I learned my lesson early on... The first unpaid wedding we shot as a favor to a family member, I had a card fail on my 6D. Luckily, I was able to recover the files. However, it's not something I am ever willing to risk again. Two cards writing raw files simultaneously are an absolutely mandatory requirement.

My wife has had a D750 since it was released, while I've been chugging along with my Canon gear hoping that they would release a FF with a tilt screen and two slots (I had the 70D for a spell and loved the flexibility that it allowed). The 6DII will be close, but no cigar. It disappoints me, as there's a lot that I do love about Canon.

As for Nikon and Canon compared, I am quite happy with the lenses available to both. Are there are better options on either side? Sure. As far as my new D750 is concerned, the VF AF works like a dream and really doesn't miss unless I do. The 3D tracking is far superior to Canon's sub par ITR that I've tried and really don't trust on my 7DII. To me having the tilting screen is a huge plus when shooting overhead shots during the reception, and when getting candid shots shooting from the hip. It's kinda hard to frame a shot when you can't see what you're shooting.

The great outdoors and wedding venues are our studio. So, in house studio work is of zero consequence to us. I could not care any less about tethering. I require equipment that gets the shot out in the field, that protects my client's memories (hence, dual slots), and has the features important to me.

Not to mention... It makes zero business sense to pay more than double to get a 5DIV that doesn't even have the features that make my life easier (flip screen, better sensor still for high contrast scenes, & spot metering linked to AF point), is also heavier (a big deal for all day affairs), and has a less comfortable grip (also a big deal for all day affairs). So, I was really really hoping the 6DII would check the boxes.

Me too, since 1978.

I have shot many weddings though they are not my bread and butter, I have run dual card slot cameras for 7 years and I have never used them for simultaneous RAW recording, indeed I rarely use the second slot even on my 1DX MkII's ( in those I use CFast exclusively). My only wedding disaster was with film where I miss-fed the leader and I lost a roll of film during the ceremony, know what my 'backup' was? My second body with B&W film in it. My reputation was as well protected as it is now with two cameras and a backup in the roller case if needed.

I suppose my point is, anybody relying on a single point of failure, a single body, is not well prepared enough that two slots will make a darn bit of difference 99.999999% of the time, and your story of the recovered files is a very common one, it seems the recovery rate for 'lost' images is pretty high.

Now I can understand the floppy screen, I can understand not wanting to pay a Canon premium you perceive them to have, but for wedding shooters to dump a system that has a 50 f1.2 and an 85 f1.2 for a bargain camera with two card slots makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Upvote 0

scrup said:
Famateur said:

I stand corrected -- the D600 official announcement did come first by four days, though camerdecision seems to have dates at odds with Wikipedia:

> Canon 6D (Announced September 17, 2012): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_6D
> Nikon D600 (Announced September 13, 2012): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D600

Official announcements so close together would seem to suggest that both companies saw an opportunity in the entry-level full-frame market and acted about the same time.

Perhaps it was "rumored" on this site first, and that's why in my memory it came first? Either way, my mistake.

All my other points still stand. :p

PS: Given the mechanical issues with the D600, perhaps it was rushed through to be launched first? Makes me wonder if the Canon was in development earlier, with more time to get it right the first time. ;)

Upvote 0

bdunbar79 said:
bdunbar79 said:
neuroanatomist said:

Let me put it this way then: Who cares?

Obviously you do.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Just to clarify, both cameras were announced a few days apart (the D600 first) in September, 2012.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/about-nikon/press-room/press-release/h6tve4go/Performance-that-Fuels-the-Passion%3A-The-New-Nikon-D600-Puts-FX-Format-in-Focus-for-Photo-Enthusiasts.html

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2012/20120917_eos6d_pressreleasedata/20120917_eos6d_pressreleasedata

Thanks for the official citations, Neuro.

Looks like Wikipedia had it right, but it's nice to have it direct from the source!

Upvote 0