Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

intrigue.photography said:
Obviously you do.

Let me put it my way: Honda doesn't offer one vehicle that meets my needs. I don't hang around on Honda forums complaining that they're crap (they're not); I bought a Toyota (ok, Lexus) that meets my needs, and I'm super happy about it. Why are you so worked up about Canon not delivering what you want? Enjoy the D750, good luck with the business, and stop whining to us that you don't like another brand of tool.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
The funny thing is, photography is precisely how I pay my bills. So, I guess that qualifies me as a professional. You had no way of knowing that, so no offense on my end. :)

My wife and I run a photography outfit, and our bread and butter is weddings. Most wedding photographers will agree that the vast majority of the shots taken during the course of the day are irreplaceable memories. Contracts protect you financially. Dual card slots protect your reputation and, as mentioned above, our client's memories. I learned my lesson early on... The first unpaid wedding we shot as a favor to a family member, I had a card fail on my 6D. Luckily, I was able to recover the files. However, it's not something I am ever willing to risk again. Two cards writing raw files simultaneously are an absolutely mandatory requirement.

My wife has had a D750 since it was released, while I've been chugging along with my Canon gear hoping that they would release a FF with a tilt screen and two slots (I had the 70D for a spell and loved the flexibility that it allowed). The 6DII will be close, but no cigar. It disappoints me, as there's a lot that I do love about Canon.

As for Nikon and Canon compared, I am quite happy with the lenses available to both. Are there are better options on either side? Sure. As far as my new D750 is concerned, the VF AF works like a dream and really doesn't miss unless I do. The 3D tracking is far superior to Canon's sub par ITR that I've tried and really don't trust on my 7DII. To me having the tilting screen is a huge plus when shooting overhead shots during the reception, and when getting candid shots shooting from the hip. It's kinda hard to frame a shot when you can't see what you're shooting.

The great outdoors and wedding venues are our studio. So, in house studio work is of zero consequence to us. I could not care any less about tethering. I require equipment that gets the shot out in the field, that protects my client's memories (hence, dual slots), and has the features important to me.

Not to mention... It makes zero business sense to pay more than double to get a 5DIV that doesn't even have the features that make my life easier (flip screen, better sensor still for high contrast scenes, & spot metering linked to AF point), is also heavier (a big deal for all day affairs), and has a less comfortable grip (also a big deal for all day affairs). So, I was really really hoping the 6DII would check the boxes.

Me too, since 1978.

I have shot many weddings though they are not my bread and butter, I have run dual card slot cameras for 7 years and I have never used them for simultaneous RAW recording, indeed I rarely use the second slot even on my 1DX MkII's ( in those I use CFast exclusively). My only wedding disaster was with film where I miss-fed the leader and I lost a roll of film during the ceremony, know what my 'backup' was? My second body with B&W film in it. My reputation was as well protected as it is now with two cameras and a backup in the roller case if needed.

I suppose my point is, anybody relying on a single point of failure, a single body, is not well prepared enough that two slots will make a darn bit of difference 99.999999% of the time, and your story of the recovered files is a very common one, it seems the recovery rate for 'lost' images is pretty high.

Now I can understand the floppy screen, I can understand not wanting to pay a Canon premium you perceive them to have, but for wedding shooters to dump a system that has a 50 f1.2 and an 85 f1.2 for a bargain camera with two card slots makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Then we simply will never understand each-other. And, that's fine! :) I'd rather not take a chance by trusting one card, and neither would my business partner (my wife who has been using that "bargain" D750 camera since it came out to great success). My current Canon gear will serve just fine in case of emergency, I don't plan on dumping it.

If one can't make beautiful images with the lenses provided by Canon, Nikon, or the third party manufacturers, one probably shouldn't be in business. I am quite satisfied with the lens lineup of both CaNikon which is why the differentiating factor for me is how they each position and price their bodies.

Buying a camera near the end of it's run allows for more lens budget anyhow. What good are those 1.2's if I blew all my budget on a body? With the money I saved by switching, I was able to get a Sigma 135 1.8 Art as well as the 24-120 kit lens for the same price as a Mark IV and, had money left over for a steak dinner. Paying double for something that isn't any better in any tangible measure for my usage makes zero sense to me.

Thanks for the discussion!

Upvote 0

LonelyBoy said:
Obviously you do.

Let me put it my way: Honda doesn't offer one vehicle that meets my needs. I don't hang around on Honda forums complaining that they're crap (they're not); I bought a Toyota (ok, Lexus) that meets my needs, and I'm super happy about it. Why are you so worked up about Canon not delivering what you want? Enjoy the D750, good luck with the business, and stop whining to us that you don't like another brand of tool.

Because I still have money invested in the Canon system? Because I like to talk gear? Last I checked, this is a discussion forum. That's what people do in a discussion forum. They discuss. Conversations don't last very long if everyone just pats each other on the back and agree. Just because I'm not jumping up and down in adulation doesn't mean I'm whining. As I see it, you're the one whining here simply because I'm saying something you don't like.

Too funny.

I wasn't aware that only Canon apologists and fanboys were allowed to discuss Canon here. I own Canon gear. I own Nikon gear. Heck, I still have a Pentax, a Minolta, and a Mamiya/Sekor around here somewhere too...

Sorry but, I'm not sorry if you don't like what I have to say. Deal with it.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

Intrigue.photography

How do you find the Nikon colours? I trust they are very different from the Canon ones. Technical mambo Jambo aside, I seriously dislike the Nikon skin tones. And second question re wedding album you are delivering to you client: how do you go about balancing the canon colours coming out of your back up Canon camera with Nikon colours coming out of your D750? I tried before and failed miserably. Hence shooting with two identical Canon bodies to simplify post production workflow.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

SecureGSM said:
Intrigue.photography

How do you find the Nikon colours? I trust they are very different from the Canon ones. Technical mambo Jambo aside, I seriously dislike the Nikon skin tones. And second question re wedding album you are delivering to you client: how do you go about balancing the canon colours coming out of your back up Canon camera with Nikon colours coming out of your D750? I tried before and failed miserably. Hence shooting with two identical Canon bodies to simplify post production workflow.
A very good question.... I have the same problem, but shooting Canon and Olympus..... There is most definitely a colour difference.... My attempts to balance were also a failure....

Upvote 0

SecureGSM said:
Intrigue.photography

How do you find the Nikon colors? I trust they are very different from the Canon ones. Technical mambo Jambo aside, I seriously dislike the Nikon skin tones. And second question re wedding album you are delivering to you client: how do you go about balancing the canon colours coming out of your back up Canon camera with Nikon colours coming out of your D750? I tried before and failed miserably. Hence shooting with two identical Canon bodies to simplify post production workflow.

The Lightroom presets we use help a lot. :) The biggest difference I've noticed so far is how Canon handles the reds. I think (and I'm not an expert in this), that is what tends to make the visible difference in skin-tones. We don't have any scientific method in matching. We just make sure our monitors are calibrated and use the non-scientific eyeball test to get them as close as possible.

Feel free to send me a message and I'll be happy to trade notes with you.

Upvote 0

Because I still have money invested in the Canon system? Because I like to talk gear? Last I checked, this is a discussion forum. That's what people do in a discussion forum. They discuss. Conversations don't last very long if everyone just pats each other on the back and agree. Just because I'm not jumping up and down in adulation doesn't mean I'm whining. As I see it, you're the one whining here simply because I'm saying something you don't like.

Too funny.

I wasn't aware that only Canon apologists and fanboys were allowed to discuss Canon here. I own Canon gear. I own Nikon gear. Heck, I still have a Pentax, a Minolta, and a Mamiya/Sekor around here somewhere too...

We don't all agree. At all. And we don't all constantly sing the praises of Canon. What does get old, very fast, is the endless chorus of DOOMsaying from Nikon and Sony fans, and the endless pissing in Cheerios.

Upvote 0

LonelyBoy said:

Too funny.

We don't all agree. At all. And we don't all constantly sing the praises of Canon. What does get old, very fast, is the endless chorus of DOOMsaying from Nikon and Sony fans, and the endless pissing in Cheerios.

I predict no doom. Nor did I ever predict doom... Unless you consider answering responses to my posts, and discussing the 6DII and it's competition, doom-saying. Nor was I whining, as you first so politely alluded. Fact is, Canon will likely remain the #1 ILC camera maker for years to come. That's fine, they make good equipment. I have no vendetta against them or, you.

It's always been the pinnacle of etiquette to in effect be told to get lost and to be called a whiner before even having been said hello to. How would my response to that rude discourse be surprising to you? Pot? Meet Kettle.

Upvote 0

I predict no doom. Nor did I ever predict doom... Unless you consider answering responses to my posts, and discussing the 6DII and it's competition, doom-saying. Nor was I whining, as you first so politely alluded. Fact is, Canon will likely remain the #1 ILC camera maker for years to come. That's fine, they make good equipment. I have no vendetta against them or, you.

It's always been the pinnacle of etiquette to in effect be told to get lost and to be called a whiner before even having been said hello to. How would my response to that rude discourse be surprising to you? Pot? Meet Kettle.

You come to this forum to complain about products you don't want to buy. Pretending that that is polite behavior because of carefully-crafted words is the height of disingenuousness.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

LonelyBoy said:

Too funny.

Hello and "welcome to the jungle" intrigue. I am suspecting that you are being lumped in with an earlier poster that was rather disrespectful of Canon's business model. I find your responses quite reasonable from your perspective. I really do hope you have a nice day ;)

Upvote 0

Intrigue, I find your comments have been for the most part reasonable and objective. You obviously have very valid points, and have not appeared to be bashing at all.

Guys, please be respectful of others if they don't blow their wad over a canon product or any other product. I thought this was a place to share opinions and have some valid input. Sadly, there are people here who just want to hear how incredible Canon is, and that they are the end all be all of technology when it comes to this industry.

FFS, stay open minded and hear the valid opinions of others who obviously do have relevant arguments or praise for Canon. We didn't join this forum because we hate Canon, we joined because expect better from a product line we enjoy.

My 2 cents and then some.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

CanonCrushed said:
Intrigue, I find your comments have been for the most part reasonable and objective. You obviously have very valid points, and have not appeared to be bashing at all.

Guys, please be respectful of others if they don't blow their wad over a canon product or any other product. I thought this was a place to share opinions and have some valid input. Sadly, there are people here who just want to hear how incredible Canon is, and that they are the end all be all of technology when it comes to this industry.

FFS, stay open minded and hear the valid opinions of others who obviously do have relevant arguments or praise for Canon. We didn't join this forum because we hate Canon, we joined because expect better from a product line we enjoy.

My 2 cents and then some.
+1

A balanced view includes looking outside our box.....

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

brad-man said:
LonelyBoy said:

Too funny.

Hello and "welcome to the jungle" intrigue. I am suspecting that you are being lumped in with an earlier poster that was rather disrespectful of Canon's business model. I find your responses quite reasonable from your perspective. I really do hope you have a nice day ;)

Intrigue.photography,

Your posts have been polite and reasonable. You have explained what you are dissatisfied with and your reasons for choosing the Nikon D750. You didn't whine, you didn't assume that everyone wants exactly what you want, you didn't issue the usual proclamations as if you knew better than anyone else. You chose the camera that best fit your needs. Something I wold have thought almost everyone here would agree on - that a person should choose the camera that best suits their needs.

But I guess I was wrong. Even rational discussion is treated the same as endless whining and met with rudeness and insults.

Sad.

Upvote 0

A bit off topic but the Glass is top of the list. The new glass soon to come from Canon will be more of the same BS ..... I want Zeiss Quality!

Canon/Nikon make Good camera bodies and and lenses .... Canon has a slight edge in lenses.

BUT if Zeiss decided to start making auto focus lenses, Canon and Nikon would have a Very Very Serious problem on there hands!

Canon and Nikon would have no choice ..... they would have to start making high quality lenses.

I think Zeiss should get in the camera body business and put both Canon and Nikon out of business.

There's a reason why Zeiss doesn't make auto focus lenses!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

ricky_005 said:
A bit off topic but the Glass is top of the list. The new glass soon to come from Canon will be more of the same BS ..... I want Zeiss Quality!

Canon/Nikon make Good camera bodies and and lenses .... Canon has a slight edge in lenses.

BUT if Zeiss decided to start making auto focus lenses, Canon and Nikon would have a Very Very Serious problem on there hands!

Canon and Nikon would have no choice ..... they would have to start making high quality lenses.

I think Zeiss should get in the camera body business and put both Canon and Nikon out of business.

There's a reason why Zeiss doesn't make auto focus lenses!
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :eek:

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

CTJohn said:
Maximum FPS?

We still don't know yet.

The 6D1 was 4.5 if memory serves, so a bump above that figure but below the 5D4's 7 fps figure would appear to be in order.

An old rumor (here, I believe) was that the 6D2 would be 6 fps, which seems about right. Still think the 5D4 should have been 8-9 fps for clearer differentiation with the 6D2 on this front, but what do I know?

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

mppix said:
Still, it is beyond me how that can be the main cause to switch systems. Minor changes to the workflow are as or more effective agqinst file loss. Also, backup requires to identical slots IMHO. The settngs on 1X2 and 5D4 don't really let u use the cams to their max. capabilities and u find ways to deal with it.

I can understand intrigue's decision. You can take a rational decision about the chance of a card failing and being happy with a single card slot, but once you have had a total card failure it is likely some people will re-evaulate those risks. How many people institute computer back-ups only after they have already had one crashed disc - this is the same principle (I am one of those who paid lip service to back up routine until I had a crash).

And if the card has failed completely, any workflow after that is irrelevant.

So to you, it is a minor factor. To a pro who does not want to repeat the experience the second card slot moves up the list of priorities. I also note that intrigue is saying it was a factor for him. Trolls like 'K' insist everyone wants it.

Upvote 0