Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

I once removed the cardreader from my laptop before it was done copying the files and the card became unreadable without formatting. Its really not funny when some one pays you to fly to the other side of the continent and you have to tell him you lost part or all of the stuff you shot. Luckily I didn't loose many important photos that time. So yes, I understand why people want it.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM said:
Intrigue.photography

How do you find the Nikon colours? I trust they are very different from the Canon ones. Technical mambo Jambo aside, I seriously dislike the Nikon skin tones. And second question re wedding album you are delivering to you client: how do you go about balancing the canon colours coming out of your back up Canon camera with Nikon colours coming out of your D750? I tried before and failed miserably. Hence shooting with two identical Canon bodies to simplify post production workflow.
Trust you are talking about RAW files(?)

1) Any one serious about colors should really make a custom color profile for all their camera body/lens combo's. Problem solved. Only DR differences then come into play. Its a relatively small effort and pay's off greatly in the long run.

2) Even if you try to go with "Canon colors" they actually vary somewhat between Canon bodies too - most likely due to sensor differences. I find Canon's 5DS/R and 5DIV RAW color profiles are a step up from Canon's 5DII/5DIII profiles (after Canon corrected their originally horrible/useless 5DS/R profile).

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2013

einstein72586 said:
This is my very first post on this site so I fully expect someone to argue with me. As a hobbyist that has debated upgrading from crop(7d mark II) to a full frame(have been waiting for the 6d mark II), I have experienced card failure first hand and I am thankful that my camera has dual slots. The extra slot saved pictures that I would of lost from a two week vacation overseas in the Philippines. The idea of a semi-pro camera that cost more then mine with only one card slot has killed my notion of upgrading to the 6d mark II or even having it as a second body. I am good with all the other specs, but one card slot I have learned is dangerous.

I've used the Canon 60D and 6D with SanDisc SD cards now over the last 6 years and have never had a card issue. I have also taken the advice of many and use smaller 8 or 16GB cards and change them every 2 days or when they fill up so that in the event that there was an issue, there would only be a day or 2 of loss. Yes, having 2 card slots would be nice but logically Canon wouldn't put 2 slots on the "entry level" camera, even if it was a full frame. One thing you might also consider with card failures is whether or not you are purchasing counterfit cards? I've stopped buying from Amazon with "eco friendly" packaging and opt to buy from local stores with actual packaging knowing that your card is authentic.

Upvote 0

drob said:
I've used the Canon 60D and 6D with SanDisc SD cards now over the last 6 years and have never had a card issue. I have also taken the advice of many and use smaller 8 or 16GB cards and change them every 2 days or when they fill up so that in the event that there was an issue, there would only be a day or 2 of loss. Yes, having 2 card slots would be nice but logically Canon wouldn't put 2 slots on the "entry level" camera, even if it was a full frame. One thing you might also consider with card failures is whether or not you are purchasing counterfit cards? I've stopped buying from Amazon with "eco friendly" packaging and opt to buy from local stores with actual packaging knowing that your card is authentic.
I don't understand the use of small capacity cards. Even with large capacity cards you can swap them out, download from them, back up and reformat to go again regularly. And certainly 2 days or especially 2 weeks is too long--nightly at the longest. And if you do need to crank off a couple of thousand shots, you can. Might be more chance of damaging a card by dropping it, or losing it, when it's not in the camera.

I've never had a card fail either and use these rules to minimise the risk of it happening:

Always use cards from reputable manufacturers (Sandisk or Lexar)
Always low-level format a card in the camera you will use it in, right before a session (assuming you have downloaded and backed up previous images)
Never delete or edit images on a card
Never completely fill a card.
Never turn off the camera or remove a card while it’s being written to.
Never touch a card’s contacts or allow water, dirt, dust, salt spray etc near them.
Always download through a good quality card reader (instead of a cheapie or by connecting the camera to a computer or hard drive with a cable)
Never leave a card connected to a computer for longer than necessary.
Always eject a card from a computer properly.

Please don't ask me to explain the rationale for these rules as I don't know enough. They are just what I've gleaned from various internet sites.

The 6D MkII looks like it will be a 36x24 version of my 80D, which I love, and will tick all the boxes for me. I am excited. :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

Maiaibing,
Thank you for the solid advice.
yes, RAW files, of course.
1. yes, colour calibration should, logicaly, have the problem solved. but in reallity I ended up with very close matched colour profiles, but not quite. My understanding is that colour variation I am experiencing is due to RGB filter implementation differences between these two brands. nothing to worry about though. I am _extremely_ happy with my 6D's ( untill such a time when I am ready to trade up to a better AFocusing Canon camera. be that 5DMIV or 6DMII.
2. yes, I can detect slight colour variation between 5DMIII and my 6Ds.

Maiaibing said:
SecureGSM said:
Intrigue.photography

How do you find the Nikon colours? I trust they are very different from the Canon ones. Technical mambo Jambo aside, I seriously dislike the Nikon skin tones. And second question re wedding album you are delivering to you client: how do you go about balancing the canon colours coming out of your back up Canon camera with Nikon colours coming out of your D750? I tried before and failed miserably. Hence shooting with two identical Canon bodies to simplify post production workflow.
Trust you are talking about RAW files(?)

1) Any one serious about colors should really make a custom color profile for all their camera body/lens combo's. Problem solved. Only DR differences then come into play. Its a relatively small effort and pay's off greatly in the long run.

2) Even if you try to go with "Canon colors" they actually vary somewhat between Canon bodies too - most likely due to sensor differences. I find Canon's 5DS/R and 5DIV RAW color profiles are a step up from Canon's 5DII/5DIII profiles (after Canon corrected their originally horrible/useless 5DS/R profile).

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014

Pippan said:
Always download through a good quality card reader (instead of a cheapie or by connecting the camera to a computer or hard drive with a cable)

Learned that the hard way, when a cheapo card reader fucked up one image every not so often. Threw it to the trash, and been using Lexar and Sandisk card readers without a hickup ever since.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com

Hornet said:
I'm surprised to see any manufacturer in 2017 not adding 4K, especially at this price point. I guess all of the energy, vision, and innovation is with the competitors these days, with the exception of Nikon. I don't see anything here that's the slightest bit exciting and that would cause me to upgrade from my existing 6D.

Agreed on the 4k, but what are you smoking about no reason to upgrade? Just the AF on the 6d alone is a reason to upgrade...its trash, the worst in any modern day camera. The only reason i haven't sold mine yet is because of the iso performance.

This is basically an entirely new camera, save for the single slot...that's just canon being mean. The list of omitted features will be interesting, and I figure just like the 80d, there will be no spot AF. Canon will do whatever it takes to make this a clear step down from the 5d4..lets just hope some of those other things don't end up burying this camera.

For 2k though...hmm...not sure its worth it just to have a full framer.

swivel screen?

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

intrigue.photography said:
The funny thing is, photography is precisely how I pay my bills. So, I guess that qualifies me as a professional. You had no way of knowing that, so no offense on my end. :)

My wife and I run a photography outfit, and our bread and butter is weddings. Most wedding photographers will agree that the vast majority of the shots taken during the course of the day are irreplaceable memories. Contracts protect you financially. Dual card slots protect your reputation and, as mentioned above, our client's memories. I learned my lesson early on... The first unpaid wedding we shot as a favor to a family member, I had a card fail on my 6D. Luckily, I was able to recover the files. However, it's not something I am ever willing to risk again. Two cards writing raw files simultaneously are an absolutely mandatory requirement.

My wife has had a D750 since it was released, while I've been chugging along with my Canon gear hoping that they would release a FF with a tilt screen and two slots (I had the 70D for a spell and loved the flexibility that it allowed). The 6DII will be close, but no cigar. It disappoints me, as there's a lot that I do love about Canon.

As for Nikon and Canon compared, I am quite happy with the lenses available to both. Are there are better options on either side? Sure. As far as my new D750 is concerned, the VF AF works like a dream and really doesn't miss unless I do. The 3D tracking is far superior to Canon's sub par ITR that I've tried and really don't trust on my 7DII. To me having the tilting screen is a huge plus when shooting overhead shots during the reception, and when getting candid shots shooting from the hip. It's kinda hard to frame a shot when you can't see what you're shooting.

The great outdoors and wedding venues are our studio. So, in house studio work is of zero consequence to us. I could not care any less about tethering. I require equipment that gets the shot out in the field, that protects my client's memories (hence, dual slots), and has the features important to me.

Not to mention... It makes zero business sense to pay more than double to get a 5DIV that doesn't even have the features that make my life easier (flip screen, better sensor still for high contrast scenes, & spot metering linked to AF point), is also heavier (a big deal for all day affairs), and has a less comfortable grip (also a big deal for all day affairs). So, I was really really hoping the 6DII would check the boxes.

Excellent post ^^^

1. Here is yet another real world working pro advocating the importance of dual card slots. Every single one I've run into also has the same exact opinion. Many highly popular Youtubers also advocate it as an important feature. The pros I've seen or worked with who don't have dual slots are in the process of upgrading to dual slots...bingo! This means NO Canon if they can't pony up the $3,300. Only in this forum, among the apologists and fanatics do we constantly hear the downplaying of dual card slots...

2. Some will dismiss this because he's a pro. But dual slots is important for others too. Any decent vacation is going to run at least $5,000 and that is going very cheap...to travel to interesting and amazing once in a lifetime places is easily double that or more. Yeah, I want to go to Machu Picchu or the Great Wall - shoot on my turd 6D2 and have the Sandisk card decide to die on me. Oh well...But forget even the travelers. Birth of a child - this is once in a lifetime. You don't get another chance at that....the list goes on. There are many reasons for even non-pros to want data security. Even a hobbyist - why waste time and energy reshooting something?

3. Canon has built their entire EOS reputation since 1987 on AF. Yet, Nikon has surpassed them on this. They will never admit it (the Canon apologists), but Nikon has a slight edge in some regards on AF. The 3D tracking on Nikon is impressive. Canon's is confused and clumsy and basically doesn't work. On single point, they are both similar. On speed, it really depends on lens. Overall, the best AF camera is the 1DX2 - but other than that, Nikon beats Canon with the D5, D500, D750, D810 ...

4. Nikon is far from perfect, and they have their gripes too. But their bodies at this price range are stacked with capability that you cannot get in Canon unless you move up $1,300 to the 5D line.

That said, the barrier-for-entry in Canon for FF with data safety is $3,300.

For Nikon, it's $1,500 when the D750 is on sale every few months, $1,800 regular.

5. I'm not sure why some of these apologists and fanatics even bother sharing their irrelevant opinions? Most of them admittedly run 1DX, 1DX2 and 5D series cameras and have multiple pro bodies. This is like a Mercedes Benz collector walking into a conversation among two Honda owners who are hoping next year's model has side impact airbags and constantly shitting on them for expecting some reasonable safety at that price point.

6. Again, read it and weep Canon zealots -- $2,000 - mid-2017 - FF ...single card slot. Unacceptable.

The 6D2 was, for a LOT of people - a huge reason to hold out and wait. But with Canon laying the egg and giving only 1 card slot, they have sent a massive slap across the face to their users and straight up are saying if you have any commercial applications whatsoever - you're paying $3,300 in Canonland. This camera might just be the biggest let down release from Canon of all time. This won't mean it won't sell - we've covered that 10x over. There's enough volume of EOS system users who have no choice to make sure no execs at Canon get fired over this camera.

Now with the 6D2 being single slot useless -- there's no reason to hold out. If you're not hopelessly "invested" aka trapped in Canon glass, time to liquidate and move on if you need a modern sensor and not have to pay $3K or more. In 2017 and Canon is putting out a $2,000 FF with single slot tells you that they have no intention of EVER reversing course on this decision to cripple cameras. Another 4-5 years from now will not magically produce any kind of time-based or evolutionary based reasoning for adding it. It is safe to say, the 6D3 if such a camera ever arrives will be the same single slot uselessness as the previous 2 generations.

Which makes everything I've said correct. Canon has, a long time ago, decided that this one, simple, basic feature is of great, great importance. And for that reason, they omit it.

Also, those people who said AF is a bigger factor in product separation - nope. It is a factor, but no where near as important as dual slots. Canon agrees with me given their actions. But even the AF is nerfed. Nikon put the same AF system in the D45, D810 in the D750. And this is a GOOD system that is better than the 5D series....

Canon makes great products and is a market leader. But none of that changes the fact that the 6D2, based on the rumored specs, is a poor value and an underspecced camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

So let's have a prediction here.
Based on the fact that dual card slots are (in your opinion) so important, you are predicting that the 6D2 having one card slot will cause Canon to lose market share and cause users (especially professionals) to migrate to Nikon.

And at some point after the release of the 6D2 you will also move to Nikon.

Is that correct?

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013

K said:
neuroanatomist said:
The fact that Nikon had to cut the prices so drastically is a fair indicator of how unsuccessful that attempt turned out.

Laughable to say the least. Let's apply your own standards. Do you sit on the board at Nikon? Are you in the executive meetings? No. You're a nobody and as a result you have zero authority to speak on the motives of Nikon for anything related to product intention and pricing. See how that works? Live by the sword, die by it.

Next,

This camera is from 2014, you can look at the pricing history - it doesn't follow any kind of abnormal path to indicate that all of a sudden the camera was a flop and needed a price reduction to make up for it as you have everyone believe.

Next,

I'm not here to defend Nikon or the D750 as you would try to frame this as - I'm merely pointing out it is a better specced and better value camera than Canon's crappy 6D line. Hey, at entry FF ($2,000ish) Canon is awful. But at $3,300 and above, they are superior to Nikon dollar for dollar. See, I provide reasonable, measured, and balanced opinions and views. Not pro-Canon fanaticism and fan-boyism that defends Canon as perfect, awesome, the greatest in every way, shape and form and free from fault of any kind.

My "crappy" 6D earned me way more than it cost me and I'm no stills pro. Any tool is only as good as the person using it you can have hundreds of AF points etc. but many factors go into making photographs others admire or aspire too including a measure of good luck (being in the right place at the right time). Sure Canon could do some things better but they are a long way short of a failure and the 6D has consistently out sold the Nikon D610 and the D750.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

K said:
ashmadux said:
Just the AF on the 6d alone is a reason to upgrade...its trash, the worst in any modern day camera.

Modern day?

It was sub-par when it was released!

This is effectively a 2008-era AF system that was put into a 2013 camera. Nikon had put out a 39pt AF system in the D600, and not long after, a 51pt AF system from the D4S/D810 in their D750 which outperforms the 5D series. The 6D took big criticism for that back then and still does.

11pts, and only the center point is cross type. Not dual cross, single cross type. The other 10 points are not even cross types! Awful by modern standards.

Whomever says they are a 6D user, you can automatically conclude they are a stone-age focus and recomposer. And thus, not interested in serious IQ by modern standards. With shallow DOF and field curvature they are behind the curve - literally and figuratively. Focus and recompose is a crutch for the lack of a real AF system.

The 6D's saving factor is the sensor. Even by modern standards, it is a pretty good sensor. Great ISO performance I must say.

The rest of the camera is trash. When you pay the current $1,350ish going price - you are literally just buying a decent 2013-era sensor surrounded by garbage.

Oh wait, let's use neuroapologist's own reasoning against him. Being that the 6D is so grossly outclassed by other entry FF's, Canon has had to slash the price of this camera to near wholesale levels in order to sell any. Right? Right? Nikon drops prices to keep sales going? Yes?

Anyway,

If you are a still-life shooter who does not need much dynamic range, and wants to pinch a penny at the expense of everything except for a FF sensor - the 6D isn't a bad choice.

Notice how recent 6D owners talk about only 1 thing, having a FF sensor. That's it. That's all they can praise about this thing.

Blah! blah! blah!.. Nikongive 2 card slots....blah! blah! blah! ....Nikons AF is better....

If these issues are so important, it should override any quality of the sensor,,,sorry, the Nikon has a better sensor as well.

So why the hell do Canon sell more 6D than Nikon sell D750? The Nikon is a $2,500 camera dropped to $2000 and still can't outsell the 6D.
The 6D is an entry level FF DSLR so it is at the tipping point of people wondering which system to follow next. And Nikon still can't tempt them over.

Why? You still have not given a cogent answer, whining only about Canon locking people in because of the lenses.

There is one other explanation - that the things you think are so important are, in the grand scheme of things...not so important. They matter to some, but not enough people for Canon to rethink their strategy.

Upvote 0

K said:
intrigue.photography said:
The funny thing is, photography is precisely how I pay my bills. So, I guess that qualifies me as a professional. You had no way of knowing that, so no offense on my end. :)

My wife and I run a photography outfit, and our bread and butter is weddings.
1. Here is yet another real world working pro advocating the importance of dual card slots. Every single one I've run into also has the same exact opinion.
No one said it wasn't a good idea, there's just debate about whether it's essential. Your personal anecdotes do not constitute a valid scientific poll. You may be correct, or you may not be. You are entitled to feel as you do, but not to browbeat others who do not.

2. Some will dismiss this because he's a pro. But dual slots is important for others too.
Again, I agree that it's important for non-pros. The question is how important it is, and that's a personal/emotional decision.

3. Canon has built their entire EOS reputation since 1987 on AF. Yet, Nikon has surpassed them on this.
Sure, OK; I'm willing to accept the possibility that Nikon has slightly better AF than Canon. Now what? In truth, both are so good that it comes down much more to user skill than to the AF system. Again, you're entitled to your opinion and the emotional comfort of an AF system that may be somewhat better, but why browbeat others who achieve their desired results with what they have?

4. Nikon is far from perfect, and they have their gripes too. But their bodies at this price range are stacked with capability that you cannot get in Canon unless you move up $1,300 to the 5D line.
Yet again, not everyone needs those features that are "stacked" in Nikon bodies.

5. I'm not sure why some of these apologists and fanatics even bother sharing their irrelevant opinions? Most of them admittedly run 1DX, 1DX2 and 5D series cameras and have multiple pro bodies.
I shoot a 70D, mostly for nature and birds these days. I've never had a card fail, and I use a "budget" brand (Transcend). I wish my 70D had a few more features, but I enjoy it and it serves my needs. I may get a 6D2 in 6 months or so, and it will be a huge upgrade for me.

6. Again, read it and weep Canon zealots -- $2,000 - mid-2017 - FF ...single card slot. Unacceptable.

Meh.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

K said:
...Which makes everything I've said correct...

I don't think so.

You have your opinion and you've expressed it over and over again in innumerable redundant posts. But, repeating an opinion doesn't make it correct.

Only time will tell if you are right. If the 6DII fails in the marketplace, you can gloat all you want. But, many people here don't believe that will be the case.

The 6D was roundly criticized on this forum and by reviewers for its weak autofocus (oh, yeah, it also only had one card slot). Yet, it became the best selling full frame DSLR on the market. And, yes, that is all that matters.

Of course, you and other disgruntled customers like to dismiss the marketplace, but that's just being pigheaded.

And, just so you understand (which I doubt you do), the argument that people buying the 6DII are just sheep who are trapped in the Canon system is a bit silly. Most people buying a 6D will be buying their first full-frame camera.

The cost of entry into full frame is expensive, no matter how you cut it, because it also means new lenses for the average APS-C user. But, switching systems isn't that much more expensive. Those that own some full frame lenses aren't trapped, because the used market remains strong for Canon glass. So, the cost of moving from Canon crop frame to Nikon isn't really that much more expensive than staying with Canon.

Yet, most end up choosing Canon. Is that because Canon is inherently better for everyone? No. But, give people a little credit. They are making the decision based on what is best for them. It is beyond me why people like you are so insecure that you cannot abide the thought that others might have a legitimately different opinion than you.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Re: card failures.

how many that are so worried about card failures rotate their cards?

you should have at least 4-5 times as many cards as what you use before you wiping and use them again, and also remove ones that are getting old.

just like SSD's .. SD / CF cards are little SSD's inside with wear leveling. there's only so many times a bit can be overwritten before it starts to lose it's ability to store that bit.

I tend to trash my cards (all of them) every 2-3 years. Why? because they get extensively written and re-formatted, more so than my SSD's in my laptop.

if you're still using a card from 2012 and complaining about lack of dual card slots, I'd look no further than the mirror to be honest.

Cards (UHS-I, 64/128GB SD cards) are so cheap there's no excuse for not rotating and decommissioning cards.

Also never ever shut off the camera as soon as you are done shooting the instant the camera says it's done saving.

SD cards in particular are asynchronous. the wear leveling happens *AFTER* the card reports back the file is saved. Just saying, your SD card can be working it's tiny little heart out saving data to non toasted memory areas and you pull the plug on it. Some cards are better at handling this than others. Same with SSD's for that matter.

Granted, that doesn't help you if you are on a boat cruise, and you flip open your camera to change the battery and your SD card springs out of the camera like it's escaping prison and does two bounces before diving into the water.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

unfocused said:
Most people buying a 6D will be buying their first full-frame camera.

people tend to think that enthusiasts rule the roost when it comes to camera sales. People tend to forget how many people purchase APS-C canon cameras over the years.

Canon's installed mount base is enormous. probably totaling well over 40 to 60 million. that's alot of cameras that *may* be interested in upgrading to a 6D.

the vast majority of them don't have dual card slots, they don't have 4K - they are looking for a decent upgrade to their x, y or z camera and probably have a few full frame lenses to boot.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

ahsanford said:
Still think the 5D4 should have been 8-9 fps for clearer differentiation with the 6D2 on this front, but what do I know?

- A

7-8 fps is the magic number.

Beyond that, you enter a new realm of capability for shooting action.

Canon does not sell camera bodies, they sell capability.

Capabilities are linked to certain specs / features.

Think of it this way, it is like the law of diminishing returns sort of. The biggest gains by percentage are gained at lower FPS. Going from 5 fps to 8 fps is a tremendous leap compared to say 14 fps to 16 fps.

There exists an arbitrary, opinion based "barrier" for when action shooting becomes reasonably good. That barrier starts at 8 fps and gets going at 9 fps and is full force at 10 fps and beyond in my opinion but the photography world substantiates this. Ranges of FPS speed can indeed be categorized. Mirrorless is getting quite fast. Eventually, the FPS will reach 24 - 30 at which point we're in the "pull stills from video" era that some theorize will happen.

If the 5D4 had 9fps - it would be fast enough to suit the action shooting needs of many users, and yes, would chop into some sales of 1DX series bodies among those who need speed AND FF - but not the ultimate in speed.

There are wedding pros that run the 1DX/2 - yet there's no need to. Why? Biggest reason - speed. Capturing the perfect first kiss, bouquet toss and other moments at reception at the perfect moment is useful. You get more keepers. Even candids - more keepers. More shots at the best moments, more shots to avoid blinks. More keepers - to produce more product to the client.

With the exception of the most serious side-lines sports pros, who are a tiny minority of users (although big dollar users), many FF users needing speed would be satisfied with 9 fps. 9 fps is fast enough to get more keepers at best moments and save $3,000 for a body. It hits the "good enough" barrier. After that, it becomes a tough choice between spending $3,000 more, for getting only a small fraction of more keepers. It becomes expensive to do that. Sports pros need that. Capturing the perfect catch, or pole vault, or goal, kick, bat, leap, dive, flip -- in their realm it matters a lot. The wedding pro and event shooter has an environment that can benefit from speed, but isn't as absolutely critical as the sports pro at the Olympics shooting gymnastics.

For this reason, Canon kept the 5D4 at a nice safe 7 fps. There's no tech barrier to 8 fps for this camera. Or even 9 fps. It is an intentional hold-back. They gave 7 merely to show they evolved the camera upwards, but as little as they could possibly get away with. I can buy the tech reason for not having 11-12 fps...sure. I get it, bigger motor and shutter / mirror mechanism. I find it hard to believe they couldn't give 8 fps...or even 9.

It also kills 7D2 sales for FF users who want speed but are willing to partially compromise. A 9 fps 5D4 means no need to sling a 7D2 as a side camera. Some photographers compromise and settle for crop IQ in order to have speed for those key moments. That's another $1,500 lost!!! $3,300 + $1,500 ...for FF & speed (albeit crop). Can't have that! Does anyone really think they designed the controls of the 7D2 body like the 5D series because wildlife shooters wanted it that way? LOL. Wake up people. It's to keep it the same as the 5D3/4 because they are counting on them to buy this as a second camera. Wedding pros want same controls when switching fast. Less confusion. Wildlife shooters want weather sealing, not necessarily the control layout of the 5D. Being the 7D2 is a different size, there's no reason they couldn't have gone with a different layout.

Think this is BS? Go watch several Canon equipped wedding pros work...

Mirrorless is gradually putting an end to this FPS segmentation nonsense to a large extent. FPS will become more decoupled from being a segmenting factor. Already current mirrorless cameras can put out impressive FPS. There will still be the sports cameras and the regular ones, but the regular cameras are already fast enough and getting better. Those not demanding of the most extreme FPS, like wedding pros will no longer have to make compromises or choices over FPS. That will be off the table as a concern, since it will be satisfied and a given.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

K said:
Why? Biggest reason - speed. Capturing the perfect first kiss, bouquet toss and other moments at reception at the perfect moment is useful. You get more keepers. Even candids - more keepers. More shots at the best moments, more shots to avoid blinks. More keepers - to produce more product to the client.

with a wedding photographer, time is money, i doubt many are rattling off 14 fps on an ongoing basis to have to deal with that in post.

Most pros that I'm aware of for this work that use the 1 series prefer the 1 series ergonomics over the 5D etc ergonomics and also for the rock solid dependability of the camera body, extra large battery performance and integrated grip all make their life easier.

Also support. a 1DX Mark II and a 24-70 2.8L II is enough for Gold CPS membership.

if you think that a higher FPS 5D would kill 7D Mark II sales, I think you entire miss the purpose of the 7D Mark II.

the 7D Mark II places more pixels on target than any canon camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

K said:
A 9 fps 5D4 means no need to sling a 7D2 as a side camera. Some photographers compromise and settle for crop IQ in order to have speed for those key moments. That's another $1,500 lost!!! $3,300 + $1,500 ...for FF & speed (albeit crop). Can't have that! Does anyone really think they designed the controls of the 7D2 body like the 5D series because wildlife shooters wanted it that way? LOL. Wake up people. It's to keep it the same as the 5D3/4 because they are counting on them to buy this as a second camera. Wedding pros want same controls when switching fast. Less confusion. Wildlife shooters want weather sealing, not necessarily the control layout of the 5D. Being the 7D2 is a different size, there's no reason they couldn't have gone with a different layout.

Think this is BS? Go watch several Canon equipped wedding pros work...

You were doing so well up to that point. Not only are Canon apparently trying to second guess the wishes of their customers, but also second guess how to best place the 7D2 as a second body for people who want the 5D4. Jeez, you really are in tinfoil hat territory.
And all this based on the assumption (no more than that) that putting in a 9fps shutter is absolutely no different to a 6 or 7 fps shutter

K said:
Mirrorless is gradually putting an end to this FPS segmentation nonsense to a large extent. FPS will become more decoupled from being a segmenting factor. Already current mirrorless cameras can put out impressive FPS. There will still be the sports cameras and the regular ones, but the regular cameras are already fast enough and getting better. Those not demanding of the most extreme FPS, like wedding pros will no longer have to make compromises or choices over FPS. That will be off the table as a concern, since it will be satisfied and a given.
True. And by the time that takes full traction, I bet that Canon will be full-bore into the FF mirrorless market and possibly beating Sony at their own game.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015

Orangutan said:
Yet again, not everyone needs those features that are "stacked" in Nikon bodies.

The age old "needs" argument. Rehashed for the 500th time.

Need or not -- poor value. Better to have and not need, than need and not have. Who, other that some Canon apologists and extremists - kicks and screams like toddlers that they would be given 2 card slots or better AF? Where is the condemnation for the 45pt AF system??????? From the 6D threads of years past, dozens of apologists told us "11pt AF is all I NEED" or "4.5 fps is all I NEED"...good. Then tell Canon you didn't want 45 pts. Tell them you want 4.5 fps again since that is all they need. They don't. Silence. Crickets.

Why? They are OK with it. They welcome it. Then, since they are ok with features above their needs, why not get reasonable value especially compared to say, the favorite example here - the D750??

LOL. What clowns. So long as a nerfed and crippled Canon camera has "what I need" they are happy with any additional, above their needs specs without complaints - UNLESS IT'S DUAL CARD SLOTS, then all hell breaks loose and it must be contested by all means when it is suggested that should have been added. What made it into the camera is OK. What didn't make it in, must be ruled as heresy and fought against tooth and nail. Zealots chant -Must defend Canon. Must defend Canon. Must defend Canon.

Either way, $2000 FF body in 2017 and 1 card slot? Total joke.

You replied to that with "meh" which I accept as your concession since you have no response.

Meh.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

And yet again your inability to understand an argument is capably demonstrated.

Has anyone said the 2 slots do not have a use? No-one that I know of - all I've seen people say is that it is not as important as you make it out to be and for them it is not a dealbreaker when buying a camera.

But in your own myopic self-obsesssed world you are incapable of thinking about such subtleties.

Upvote 0