davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

unfocused said:
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:
Convergence is bullish!t hype that will never have anything but very limited uses. For a start RAW video is crazy huge file sizes, add 8k and it is unmanageable. But the real killer is the shutter speed issue, optimal shutter speed for video is practically never optimal for stills.

The convergence marketing crap was rolled out for 4K and largely fell on its face, the same will happen for 8k.

Convergence as "a thing", a great transcendent moment in photography's evolution = agree completely.

But pulling stills from video will 100% happen someday. It will obviously start on the video side where folks were already planning to capture all that data down, and "Wow, that doesn't look like s---!" will be the words coming out of their mouth as they flip an 8K shot into a decent still. It will be niche.

But over time, I could those making movies start pulling stills from production footage and not having to hire an on-set photographer for promotional materials. I could see wildlifers getting madly OCD about nailing the pivotal moment (e.g. the fish in the mouth, the most dramatic lion about to bite moment, etc.) without needing a 20 fps still rig to do it.

I'm not saying that it's practical or inevitable (anytime soon) for serious stills shooters, but some folks 100% will find a way to use it.

- A

Well, good luck pulling photos of blurred water, stopped motion or panning shots from videoreel, usually twice the shutter speed that the videoframerate :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. Smooth video relies on motion blur between the frames.

Right because you totally can't adjust the shutter speed on a $50K weapon. ::)

I get that some folks here are talking these things to absurd ends, but the original video just linked was about having a single piece of gear that can pull double duty and the advantages of using a video rig for stills (e.g. a 30 second prerecord). There's a big leap between that and "nobody will need to be focused on stills anymore because we'll pull frame grabs from Hollywood motion pictures"

I've been shooting football games for a friend and I'd be pretty happy with 36mp 60fps camera that's got an included 30 second time machine.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

davidhfe said:
unfocused said:
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:
Convergence is bullish!t hype that will never have anything but very limited uses. For a start RAW video is crazy huge file sizes, add 8k and it is unmanageable. But the real killer is the shutter speed issue, optimal shutter speed for video is practically never optimal for stills.

The convergence marketing crap was rolled out for 4K and largely fell on its face, the same will happen for 8k.

Convergence as "a thing", a great transcendent moment in photography's evolution = agree completely.

But pulling stills from video will 100% happen someday. It will obviously start on the video side where folks were already planning to capture all that data down, and "Wow, that doesn't look like s---!" will be the words coming out of their mouth as they flip an 8K shot into a decent still. It will be niche.

But over time, I could those making movies start pulling stills from production footage and not having to hire an on-set photographer for promotional materials. I could see wildlifers getting madly OCD about nailing the pivotal moment (e.g. the fish in the mouth, the most dramatic lion about to bite moment, etc.) without needing a 20 fps still rig to do it.

I'm not saying that it's practical or inevitable (anytime soon) for serious stills shooters, but some folks 100% will find a way to use it.

- A

Well, good luck pulling photos of blurred water, stopped motion or panning shots from videoreel, usually twice the shutter speed that the videoframerate :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. Smooth video relies on motion blur between the frames.

I get that some folks here are talking these things to absurd ends, but the original video just linked was about having a single piece of gear that can pull double duty and the advantages of using a video rig for stills (e.g. a 30 second prerecord). There's a big leap between that and "nobody will need to be focused on stills anymore because we'll pull frame grabs from Hollywood motion pictures"

I've been shooting football games for a friend and I'd be pretty happy with 36mp 60fps camera that's got an included 30 second time machine.

sure. i'd love to see you edit, select the frame, mark your keepers in between stoppages of play through 1800 frames.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

davidhfe said:

Sure you can. But if you break 180° shutter rule, you'll inevitably introducing some stutter or jerkiness in the video footage. So you can record e.g. 8K video with 60 FPS, but if you use 1/1000s shutter speed, then smoothness of the footage goes right out the window, which can be either intentional or distracting. But you have to inevitably take this into consideration when already shooting the footage. You just can't simply have it as an afterthought.

Upvote 0

As a current Canon 6D owner, I've been following the spec rumours out of curiosity. If I were upgrading the features that interest me the most are (in order):

1. The tilty touchscreen. That'd just be really useful for some of the photos I take.

2. The significantly better autofocus system. Sometimes I struggle a little with the one in the 6D, but having said that, it works well enough for what I need it for the vast majority of the time.

3. The various connectivity features. Depending on how they're implemented. I'm glad my 6D has wifi but it can't half be a pain.

But yeah, like I say, I've only been curious as to the specs but I have no intention of upgrading. I love my 6D and when I bought it, it was always intended as a camera that should last me several years - a decade or more maybe. I'm a hobbyist photographer without a whole lot of money to flash about.

The spec seems on point to me. A full frame camera for enthusiast. Those wanting professional features, like dual card slots, can put their professional money into buying a professional camera.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015

Khalai said:
davidhfe said:

Sure you can. But if you break 180° shutter rule, you'll inevitably introducing some stutter or jerkiness in the video footage. So you can record e.g. 8K video with 60 FPS, but if you use 1/1000s shutter speed, then smoothness of the footage goes right out the window, which can be either intentional or distracting. But you have to inevitably take this into consideration when already shooting the footage. You just can't simply have it as an afterthought.

Again, my take on the video that started this is that it's having a single device that can quickly transition between the two roles, not necessarily a single device that simultaneously operates in those roles.

Operator intent has and will continue to be the paramount thing.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015

rrcphoto said:
davidhfe said:
unfocused said:
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:

- A

sure. i'd love to see you edit, select the frame, mark your keepers in between stoppages of play through 1800 frames.

The storage and software required to do this are not there yet. We're also taking about a $50,000 camera that makes a 1DX look like a powershot. It'll be years before 8K makes it into a reasonable form factor, and it's reasonable to expect software to evolve as well. I can quite easily imagine scrubbing through a clip to flag a frame, then advancing to the next clip.

And even if we're talking about 2-30fps with a 3 sec. prerecord that'd be pretty sweet. Though to be clear I am pretty happy with a 5D4+100-400 as well.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

THERE IS ONLY ONE CARD SLOT. DEAL WITH IT!

THERE IS NO 4K. DEAL WITH IT!

All the noise in the world is not going to change it! This is flogging a dead horse! Nobody wants to see another 400 posts on the subject! Nobody is going to change anybody else's opinion.... LET IT DROP!

Can we please discuss something else?

Upvote 0

DPAF.

So DPAF only works in live view right? so if you are using video, or live view photo composition you get the advantages of live view.

So in normal photo mode, where you are using the viewfinder, you will be relying on the 45 AF points. So, does this mean that in live view you use a combination of contrast detection and phase difference, but in normal viewfinder mode you only get the traditional contrast detection?

Anyone have a body with DPAF, I watched a video on the M5 about it, it looks very nice, if your using the viewfinder. (well on M6 you have EVF as well, so I guess it must work through that too.

Alan.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Don Haines said:

All the noise in the world is not going to change it! This is flogging a dead horse! Nobody wants to see another 400 posts on the subject! Nobody is going to change anybody else's opinion.... LET IT DROP!

what do you think the fps will be? it's about the only unknown specification really.

Upvote 0

rrcphoto said:
Don Haines said:

what do you think the fps will be? it's about the only unknown specification really.

5DMk4/1.6 = 5

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

wildwalker said:
DPAF.

So DPAF only works in live view right? so if you are using video, or live view photo composition you get the advantages of live view.

So in normal photo mode, where you are using the viewfinder, you will be relying on the 45 AF points. So, does this mean that in live view you use a combination of contrast detection and phase difference, but in normal viewfinder mode you only get the traditional contrast detection?

Anyone have a body with DPAF, I watched a video on the M5 about it, it looks very nice, if your using the viewfinder. (well on M6 you have EVF as well, so I guess it must work through that too.

Alan.

If I understand correctly, the 45 point system that operates with the mirror is phase detect AF based on dedicated AF sensors. Canon's dual pixel technology also uses phase detect AF for Live View, reading directly from the sensor. Before dual pixel technology, contrast detect was used for Live View. Some later versions were hybrid, using contrast detect and phase detect.

Upvote 0