Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

D

Deleted member 91053

Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Well the 6D2 appears to have a lot of stuff on it that I couldn't care less about - but the basic specs look promising to me.

I see some are complaining about the lack of 4K? Perhaps I am a bit weird but I buy a stills camera to shoot still so any video function is a complete irrelevance and, like WiFi etc, a waste of R&D that I may have to pay for!

Canon appear to have cured the main problem of the 6D, lack of AF points and the bump in resolution might be nice though I would have preferred less and slightly better ISO performance.

Assuming it has a reasonable FPS and the AF is fairly quick then it looks quite tempting for a general use FF camera for me. We will have to wait for the "hands on" independent reviews but so far it is looking good!

Upvote 0

BillB said:
wildwalker said:
DPAF.

So DPAF only works in live view right? so if you are using video, or live view photo composition you get the advantages of live view.

So in normal photo mode, where you are using the viewfinder, you will be relying on the 45 AF points. So, does this mean that in live view you use a combination of contrast detection and phase difference, but in normal viewfinder mode you only get the traditional contrast detection?

Anyone have a body with DPAF, I watched a video on the M5 about it, it looks very nice, if your using the viewfinder. (well on M6 you have EVF as well, so I guess it must work through that too.

Alan.

If I understand correctly, the 45 point system that operates with the mirror is phase detect AF based on dedicated AF sensors. Canon's dual pixel technology also uses phase detect AF for Live View, reading directly from the sensor. Before dual pixel technology, contrast detect was used for Live View. Some later versions were hybrid, using contrast detect and phase detect.

Okay, so that means focusing speed should be pretty snappy, regardless of live view.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011

bereninga said:
rrcphoto said:
what do you think the fps will be? it's about the only unknown specification really.

I'm going to guess 7 fps. If not, at least 6 fps.

interesting you think it could actually be the same as the 5D4!

I do find it strange that this spec hasn't been CR3'd yet maybe there will be a big surprise!

fps and how to move around those 45 af points, looking forward to those answers

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
Hellish said:
Just bought a used 1D C for $3200 (30 day return policy though)

Only way I use the return policy is if the 6D2 has 2 cards and 4k, but I doubt it does.

They were selling them new for $3,999 a while ago at B&H.

Yes saw those but thats not the price anymore and the 800 saving for 16k clicks seems worth to me. Also at that time I was still hoping for the 6D2 to have 2 cards & 4k.

Upvote 0

wildwalker said:
rrcphoto said:
Don Haines said:
THERE IS ONLY ONE CARD SLOT. DEAL WITH IT!

THERE IS NO 4K. DEAL WITH IT!

All the noise in the world is not going to change it! This is flogging a dead horse! Nobody wants to see another 400 posts on the subject! Nobody is going to change anybody else's opinion.... LET IT DROP!

Can we please discuss something else?

what do you think the fps will be? it's about the only unknown specification really.

5DMk4/1.6 = 5

I'm hoping for 6. That would make it an upgrade all cross the board for me.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

IglooEater said:
wildwalker said:
rrcphoto said:
Don Haines said:

All the noise in the world is not going to change it! This is flogging a dead horse! Nobody wants to see another 400 posts on the subject! Nobody is going to change anybody else's opinion.... LET IT DROP!

5DMk4/1.6 = 5

I'm hoping for 6. That would make it an upgrade all cross the board for me.

I'm thinking 6.5fps

reason being is that I think canon will want to sit in between the D750 and D610 replacements.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

Don Haines said:

Hallelujah! I just wish you would have posted this 26 pages ago!!! ;D

Upvote 0

It would seem that a lot of people here are disappointed that this camera is missing a lot of features that they want. However all of these features are available on the 5DM4. It would seem to me that most of the complainers are people want a 5DM4 for the price of a 6DM2.
Just saying.

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:

Deal!

And thank you. :p

Upvote 0

IglooEater said:
Sporgon said:
jmoya said:
Lets discuss unicorns!

Squirrel time

Nope. Unicorns. But just the ones with two horns. The ones with just one are a total ripoff. Same price as the other ones but already missing parts.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

My computer monitor is lucky I wasn't drinking something when I read your post. :p

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
But pulling stills from video will 100% happen someday. It will obviously start on the video side where folks were already planning to capture all that data down, and "Wow, that doesn't look like s---!" will be the words coming out of their mouth as they flip an 8K shot into a decent still. It will be niche.

But over time, I could those making movies start pulling stills from production footage and not having to hire an on-set photographer for promotional materials. I could see wildlifers getting madly OCD about nailing the pivotal moment (e.g. the fish in the mouth, the most dramatic lion about to bite moment, etc.) without needing a 20 fps still rig to do it.

I'm not saying that it's practical or inevitable (anytime soon) for serious stills shooters, but some folks 100% will find a way to use it.

- A

I'm sure it'll be fully possible one day (it already is to some extent), but I don't think it'll be very useful. Someone will have to sit there after the fact and look through tens of thousands of frames, with an eye toward getting the "perfect one." But isn't that what a photographer does on a live set? Constantly looking, and picking the right frames? It'll be like having to do it all twice. Plus, after the fact, there won't be all that much ability with software to change the camera position, lighting, etc. So why not have a photographer who's good enough to get it right the first time? It'll save a lot of time and money.

Upvote 0

rrcphoto said:
davidhfe said:
unfocused said:
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:
Convergence is bullish!t hype that will never have anything but very limited uses. For a start RAW video is crazy huge file sizes, add 8k and it is unmanageable. But the real killer is the shutter speed issue, optimal shutter speed for video is practically never optimal for stills.

The convergence marketing crap was rolled out for 4K and largely fell on its face, the same will happen for 8k.

Convergence as "a thing", a great transcendent moment in photography's evolution = agree completely.

But pulling stills from video will 100% happen someday. It will obviously start on the video side where folks were already planning to capture all that data down, and "Wow, that doesn't look like s---!" will be the words coming out of their mouth as they flip an 8K shot into a decent still. It will be niche.

But over time, I could those making movies start pulling stills from production footage and not having to hire an on-set photographer for promotional materials. I could see wildlifers getting madly OCD about nailing the pivotal moment (e.g. the fish in the mouth, the most dramatic lion about to bite moment, etc.) without needing a 20 fps still rig to do it.

I'm not saying that it's practical or inevitable (anytime soon) for serious stills shooters, but some folks 100% will find a way to use it.

- A

Well, good luck pulling photos of blurred water, stopped motion or panning shots from videoreel, usually twice the shutter speed that the videoframerate :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. Smooth video relies on motion blur between the frames.

Right because you totally can't adjust the shutter speed on a $50K weapon. ::)

I get that some folks here are talking these things to absurd ends, but the original video just linked was about having a single piece of gear that can pull double duty and the advantages of using a video rig for stills (e.g. a 30 second prerecord). There's a big leap between that and "nobody will need to be focused on stills anymore because we'll pull frame grabs from Hollywood motion pictures"

I've been shooting football games for a friend and I'd be pretty happy with 36mp 60fps camera that's got an included 30 second time machine.

sure. i'd love to see you edit, select the frame, mark your keepers in between stoppages of play through 1800 frames.

You are completely missing the point. If you can't imagine the utility of this, you should watch the Laforet video to understand the amazing usefulness of the 8K RAW capture with 30 second prerecord.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Etienne said:
rrcphoto said:
davidhfe said:
unfocused said:
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:
Convergence is bullish!t hype that will never have anything but very limited uses. For a start RAW video is crazy huge file sizes, add 8k and it is unmanageable. But the real killer is the shutter speed issue, optimal shutter speed for video is practically never optimal for stills.

The convergence marketing crap was rolled out for 4K and largely fell on its face, the same will happen for 8k.

Convergence as "a thing", a great transcendent moment in photography's evolution = agree completely.

- A

Well, good luck pulling photos of blurred water, stopped motion or panning shots from videoreel, usually twice the shutter speed that the videoframerate :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. Smooth video relies on motion blur between the frames.

I get that some folks here are talking these things to absurd ends, but the original video just linked was about having a single piece of gear that can pull double duty and the advantages of using a video rig for stills (e.g. a 30 second prerecord). There's a big leap between that and "nobody will need to be focused on stills anymore because we'll pull frame grabs from Hollywood motion pictures"

I've been shooting football games for a friend and I'd be pretty happy with 36mp 60fps camera that's got an included 30 second time machine.

sure. i'd love to see you edit, select the frame, mark your keepers in between stoppages of play through 1800 frames.

You are completely missing the point. If you can't imagine the utility of this, you should watch the Laforet video to understand the amazing usefulness of the 8K RAW capture with 30 second prerecord.

I'm not completely missing the point. you are.

a sports photog selects the keepers in between breaks of action to send to the editors for distribution. i'm pretty sure they'll look through 1800 frames to find the right one times how many plays they captured. Thus my comment. I'm also sure a wedding photog would do the same. sit there and look through hundreds of thousands frames to find the right ones.

Upvote 0

johnf3f said:
the bump in resolution might be nice though I would have preferred less and slightly better ISO performance.

If you output to the same size, is there any penalty for higher resolution in terms of (I assume high) ISO? I'm genuinely intrigued - it's often stated, but I've seen conflicting statements.

Upvote 0

rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
rrcphoto said:
davidhfe said:
unfocused said:
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:

- A

I'm not completely missing the point. you are.

a sports photog selects the keepers in between breaks of action to send to the editors for distribution. i'm pretty sure they'll look through 1800 frames to find the right one times how many plays they captured. Thus my comment. I'm also sure a wedding photog would do the same. sit there and look through hundreds of thousands frames to find the right ones.

Ok, I get it. You don't want to watch the video.

Upvote 0