Problem: slow AF 6D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was at a little camera rep event at a local camera store last Friday. The Canon rep was all over it talking about how many cameras Canon sees damaged by non-Canon batteries and so they are getting more serious about the issue and protecting the user. Whatever.

I suspect it's more like they are seeing a big drop in $65 - $100 Canon battery sales. If Canon would simply make their batteries $45 or $50 retail from the start, more people would choose to pay that over $15 - $20 3rd party batteries. Mostly anyway. It kinda reminds me of the record companies charging $15 - $25 per CD and then they were all upset when MP3 came along and ate their lunch. Meanwhile, if CDs had been $5 - $8, most folks wouldn't have been as motivated to give up the higher quality CD.

Honestly, I'm glad the alert is there for when a genuine FAKE is used. That sucks, paying full price for a counterfit battery. But they should just say what they mean in the error - Non-Genuine Battery. Done. And don't punish the user with no status. That's just petty/crappy.

Upvote 0
Excellent Nikon D600

I´m very sorry, but the D600 is excellent!
I had no mid-range Camera in my hands that was as good as the D600. (using an non high-quality lens!)

Maybe I will store my Canon lenses and buy an D600.
It is a pity, but Canon does not reach the quality of the D600. :'(
The AF is equal to the AF of the 5D Mark 3. And the picturequality not much worser then the 5D´s.... Tha AF-area is quite smaller, but accurate in getting sharp

Upvote 0
Re: Excellent Nikon D600

daniela said:
I´m very sorry, but the D600 is excellent!
I had no mid-range Camera in my hands that was as good as the D600. (using an non high-quality lens!)

Maybe I will store my Canon lenses and buy an D600.
It is a pity, but Canon does not reach the quality of the D600. :'(
The AF is equal to the AF of the 5D Mark 3. And the picturequality not much worser then the 5D´s.... Tha AF-area is quite smaller, but accurate in getting sharp

Go for it if you can afford it. Right now, Nikon bodies are a little bit better than Canon. Shifting from one system to another system is easy if you can afford it. But you will be investing in new lenses again. Might it be better to invest in other Canon lenses?

Upvote 0
D

dsporter

I purchased a 6D on Saturday and I'm having the same issue as the OP. It appears that there's a slight lag between when the camera focuses and when it will take a picture. I'll wait for the red light and the beep and then press the shutter button all the way down, but it doesn't always take the picture right away. It doesn't feel as responsive as cameras I've used in the past (30D, 40D, 7D, and 60D). I know that the 7D is a faster camera and it's not the best comparison to make, but even with my 60D I couldn't create the issue I'm currently having with the 6D. I'm debating about taking it back and spending extra money on a Mark iii, but that extra $900 is substantial. From what I've read it has a faster AF system and would be better for moving objects like my kids or youth sports that I shoot during the summer. Is that the general consensus with the Mark iii?

On a side note, the wireless function on the 6D is a lot of fun. I've enjoyed getting pictures on my phone right after taking them and sending them to friends and family. :)

Upvote 0
I bought the D600 but it had the problem of oil/dust on the sensor which made it a very frustrating experience. I returned the D600 and I bought the 6D (which I love).

My perception of the D600 is that, besides having a great SONY sensor, the half-plastic body makes it look a bit toyish. The 6D is well built and solid. The pictures that I am taking with the 6D are phenomenal. The WiFi and GPS are very useful too. I shoot catalog images for websites and I am using my iPad to help me to preview the pictures. It works great. I am not having the slow AF issue as mentioned though. The AF is fast and accurate.

But please don't get me wrong, IMHO the D600 is a great camera but the 6D is the best value for your money.

Upvote 0
Canon or Nikon? 6D or D600? Honestly, who cares? What matters is your experience with the product. If you're happy with something then good for you. I have a 6D and love it. Am I missing something by not having a D600? Perhaps. I don't care. All I know is I have a 6D that performs better than what I expected and having a great time using it so far. Having little experience or knowledge of a product does not make it inferior.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.