Problems with EVF brightness

May I ask you for advice:
My Eos R is suffering from an low EVF brightness. If I change the brightness level, from level 4 to 7 there is no change in brightness in the EVF. Eco Mode is off.
EVF brighness changes work on the Display.
Did an reset two times, but nothing changed.

It is no pleasure to shoot in bright condition for me at this moment.

Any advice you can give me please?

Jun 12, 2015
May I ask you for advice:
My Eos R is suffering from an low EVF brightness. If I change the brightness level, from level 4 to 7 there is no change in brightness in the EVF. Eco Mode is off.
EVF brighness changes work on the Display.
Did an reset two times, but nothing changed.

It is no pleasure to shoot in bright condition for me at this moment.

Any advice you can give me please?
I haven’t tried to change the EVF brightness but as long as highlights get blown, I don’t expect increasing the brightness to be a fix. I see shooting in bright conditions as a downside to EVFs, and much prefer DSLRs for that purpose.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I haven’t tried to change the EVF brightness but as long as highlights get blown, I don’t expect increasing the brightness to be a fix. I see shooting in bright conditions as a downside to EVFs, and much prefer DSLRs for that purpose.

Yes, Sir. This is true - and now I use my 5D MK IV again. But I bought an R and want to use it... also in bright light conditions.

Upvote 0
I don't have the R, but on my EOS M6 with optional viewfinder you can adjust viewfinder and screen brightness independently. Go to the appropriate menu item, then try adjusting display brightness whilst looking through the viewfinder.

I did, but the brightness does not rise on the menue-selections above 4. Lower than 4 ist gets darker, but remains on an mid-level brihtness, despite i choose level 7.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I did, but the brightness does not rise on the menue-selections above 4. Lower than 4 ist gets darker, but remains on an mid-level brihtness, despite i choose level 7.
Interesting..... has anyone tried this on another unit? Is it a flaw on this one camera, or the entire production run?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hmmmm.... strange. I´m just able to change the brightness of both with the display. No other way to do that. EVF is black.
The best will be, I´ll go for my local dealer to get an check, and if there is an error, CPS will fix it.

Thanks for your answers.
Hold the camera viewfinder to your eye and make the adjustment, thats what the manual says. Watch the gray bars, I usuaolly look at the bottom one, and adjust the brightness so its visible. If you are holding the camera to your eye while adjusting and it doesn't change, there is a problem.
Clip.jpg

Upvote 0