Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

dpc

EOS 1D MK II
Dec 11, 2013
Western Canada
MrFotoFool said:
In my experience (in Arizona) pronghorn are much more skittish than deer.

Interesting. Thanks for your comment. All I can say is that my experiences with deer (primarily mule deer) and pronghorns where I live (south-western Saskatchewan) is as I stated. I admittedly see more pronghorns than deer, but the deer I've seen would never let me get as close to them as I was to the leader of this herd. I was maybe 10-15 metres away. He was standing by the side of the grid road watching over his harem, as it were, and continued to do so for some minutes. I stopped the car and got out to take pictures and he didn't so much as bat an eyelash. I was able to get a few shots and then they all wandered slowly off. I've had even closer encounters with pronghorns.

Chihuahuan pronghorn (one of three subspecies found in my state of Arizona). These occur in southeast Arizona, while southwest has Sonoran and north-central has American. As I stated earlier they are very skittish and as soon as they saw me walking along the highway (quite a distance away) they started running. This is Highway 82 near Sonoita, Arizona.

5D3 with 100-400 ii (at 400) and 1.4x ii extender (for a total of 560mm).

Attachments

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I finally got around to buying some salt licks and so far I've got a female moose and a foursome of white-tailed deer visiting. The deer are more interested in the bird feed it seems, especially the corn.

1DX2 400DO II X2 III ISO 12500

Jack

Attachments

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
Great pics everyone! We are so fortunate to be able to come here and see pictures taken by people who are better able to take pictures than we can. Wether by skill or location. I find them to be inspiring.

dpc

EOS 1D MK II
Dec 11, 2013
Western Canada
Urban deer: black-tailed doe on the grounds of the official residence of the Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia in Victoria on Vancouver Island.

Attachments

DJL329

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 26, 2010
A couple of shots from last year, both with the 5D III and 400mm DO II w/1.4x TC.

The first one is slightly cropped, while the second is the full image.

On Flickr

He slowly crossed the trail just 10-12 feet in front of me, while his mom watched from a hill yards away. I didn't want to take a step back, lest I spook him.

On Flickr

d4mike

EOS T7i
Dec 28, 2014
From a recent trip to Yellowstone, it snowed a lot that day, this fellow was in a snow globe.

Attachments