Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

Thanks guys.

This was taken at a conservation area near Toronto. The population of white tail deer there is booming. Those guys were pointing their cameras to an open field with more deer at about 200-300 feet away but they didn't realize this little guys was just feet away!

Jopa said:
I'm wondering what exactly is going on here? :)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
hne said:
Never thought I'd be able to take pictures of deer with a 50/1.8 II, but man was I wrong. These city dwellers are used to humans not threatening them, living within the reach of the underground. Photo has been manipulated to remove some twigs from the top.

Yes, sometimes urban deer will let you get quite close, and if you sit quietly in your car, will come investigate.....

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Don Haines said:
hne said:
Never thought I'd be able to take pictures of deer with a 50/1.8 II, but man was I wrong. These city dwellers are used to humans not threatening them, living within the reach of the underground. Photo has been manipulated to remove some twigs from the top.

Yes, sometimes urban deer will let you get quite close, and if you sit quietly in your car, will come investigate.....

I live on a farm and quite often see a deer family by our dining room windows. But they usually flee away if one of us shows up on the deck. I know where they're coming from and hope one day to install a remote controlled camera to take some pictures :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jopa said:
Don Haines said:
hne said:

I live on a farm and quite often see a deer family by our dining room windows. But they usually flee away if one of us shows up on the deck. I know where they're coming from and hope one day to install a remote controlled camera to take some pictures :)

My attempt at attracting them is oats and barley and then they end up in my wife's flower bed. Ouch. Mine aren't too tame either but they come up to the bird feeder at night looking for seed that's scattered, especially in winter.

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost all the 'brownie points' you earned from the floor and that fabulous stone planter, :eek: :'( but fancy attracting deer when your wife has a flower garden! :eek: ::) :)

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Jopa said:
Don Haines said:
hne said:

My attempt at attracting them is oats and barley and then they end up in my wife's flower bed. Ouch. Mine aren't too tame either but they come up to the bird feeder at night looking for seed that's scattered, especially in winter.

Jack

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
A couple of shots from last August.

5D Mark IV with 400mm f/4 DO IS II + 1.4x TC III

"Yum!"

35732885703_7b564ae6e6_z.jpg

on Flickr - at least for now!

"It's just a Buck!"

36360825502_6fffaffeca_z.jpg

on Flickr - at least for now!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The deer did eventually warm up to my place so I've been able to capture some moments. Their ears are amazing.

Jack

Attachments

• WT deer Im._27148_s.JPG
    WT deer Im._27148_s.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
  • WT deer Im._27149_s.JPG
    WT deer Im._27149_s.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
  • Bambie is growing up_s_28370.JPG
    Bambie is growing up_s_28370.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Mama and daughter_s_27928.JPG