Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

dpc said:
:) The framing could have been better on the first picture. I managed to cut the bottom of the hooves off. I was shooting from our vehicle and wasn't paying enough attention. I do like the tongue, though. It's almost as if the beast was flipping me off, not having a middle finger.

Hi dpc, very nice series of this impressive animal!
I like the second picture (of this set) best - the way it sets the beast in its environment, where the absence of the horizon suggests an "endless" grass plain ... ;)

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
MrFotoFool , nice shot. I'm guessing you weren't able to get too close.

Jack
While this buck did not let me get close, I got surprisingly close to some others. This one is a dominant bull in control of a large harem. About half the harem crossed the road right in front of me. Some stopped on the hill next to me. I had a 300 2.8 with 1.4x extender (on full frame 5D4) and the extender made it too tight to get in the whole group. They were so close I would have been better off with a 70-200. Later in another area (with cattle ranches) I found the bachelor herds. Two bucks with huge antlers (bigger than this guy) I was able to shoot almost frame filling shots with the bare 300 and no extender.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
MrFotoFool said:
Jack Douglas said:
MrFotoFool , nice shot. I'm guessing you weren't able to get too close.

Jack
While this buck did not let me get close, I got surprisingly close to some others. This one is a dominant bull in control of a large harem. About half the harem crossed the road right in front of me. Some stopped on the hill next to me. I had a 300 2.8 with 1.4x extender (on full frame 5D4) and the extender made it too tight to get in the whole group. They were so close I would have been better off with a 70-200. Later in another area (with cattle ranches) I found the bachelor herds. Two bucks with huge antlers (bigger than this guy) I was able to shoot almost frame filling shots with the bare 300 and no extender.

Thanks for this, now post some more pics. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0