Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
NEAT!

So unicorns do exist! Not quite as advertised......

Not sure about your deer, but over here I see a fair number of female moose young and old, actually similar for the deer, but few males and I've never been privileged to have a young male showing the antler starting out. I have a salt lick as you can see. They were moving around so my shutter had to be up a little and the ISO was pushing too high for a decent shot, plush shadows have been lifted.

Jack

Attachments

• Siblings maybe_38763.JPG
    Siblings maybe_38763.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for compliments. In the interest of full disclosure I will state that I cloned out the rump of a second deer that was sticking out from behind the tree to the left of this deer.

Ah ha, a confession! CR for the humour.:) AS long as it's not AI generated!!;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Thanks for compliments. In the interest of full disclosure I will state that I cloned out the rump of a second deer that was sticking out from behind the tree to the left of this deer.

You did a very nice job.
0057.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Are you sure it was a deer, and that you were not getting mooned by Bigfoot?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
We live in a rural area, so deer and other wildlife are all around us, I can watch them out my window pretty much every day. We give them a little grain out by my surveillance camera, but word spread quickly so that there are a lot of them looking now, but only 4-6 cups of COB, just a taste. They usually take turns getting just a bite each, much better mannered than people.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
We live in a rural area, so deer and other wildlife are all around us, I can watch them out my window pretty much every day. We give them a little grain out by my surveillance camera, but word spread quickly so that there are a lot of them looking now, but only 4-6 cups of COB, just a taste. They usually take turns getting just a bite each, much better mannered than people.

Nice. I've noticed similar except for the odd aggressive one and for some reason all of mine, at least mature ones are female. I made a cavity for seeds for birds in a stump and they would lick out the sunflower seeds. We are blessed to be in a rural setting!

JackI'm a Little Dear_27179.JPGSunflower seed theif_27186.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Thought I'd start a thread for pronghorns and other wild ungulates. We have lots of pronghorns around here (often, but mistakenly, called an antelope). They're generally much easier to take pictures of than deer.

1. Female pronghorn. She was by the side of the road and just stood there nonchalantly while I snapped away.
2. Male and female pronghorns in a farmer's field.
3. Bison

The female pronghorn is really pretty! I like all the three pictures, but first one steal the show! :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Not really worth posting but in the context of my previous comments about never seeing a buck, well, today one showed up. There were nine females and this guy lurking in the "shadows" just after sunset. Much too dark and the wrong angle of lighting so I'll have to wait for another opportunity.

I think I'd know it was him by the antler.

JackMale white-tail deer_39029.JPG

Upvote 0