Pronghorns, deer, bison and other ungulates in the wild...

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
House bound, I figured I'd go back to by first 6D shots since I took so many and hardly looked at many; that was in 2013. Taken just outside my yard, maybe 5 minutes walking. The moose tend to be somewhat transient rather than hanging around. He walked close to me directly across a very small creek to drink and I had too much lens. :(

Jack

View attachment 189270View attachment 189271

These are excellent - only one quibble:

There is no such thing as "too much lens..."

:p:p:p:p:p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
This is England and we are not meant to have much wildlife. But, this Muntjac appears in my garden and tolerates being photographed, with the 100-400mm II throttled back to 300mm on the 5DSR. It is so sharp I have to turn off the lens sharpening in DxO as it oversharpens.

View attachment 191403
Nice picture Alan but your lawn needs cutting, and as we have been in lock down and you’re clearly a married man I’m intrigued to know how you’ve got away with it ! ;) Any tips would be gratefully received.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is England and we are not meant to have much wildlife. But, this Muntjac appears in my garden and tolerates being photographed, with the 100-400mm II throttled back to 300mm on the 5DSR. It is so sharp I have to turn off the lens sharpening in DxO as it oversharpens.

View attachment 191403
Yes, Robin Hood greatly thinned the wildlife.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice picture Alan but your lawn needs cutting, and as we have been in lock down and you’re clearly a married man I’m intrigued to know how you’ve got away with it ! ;) Any tips would be gratefully received.
Cheeky! I mowed it this morning and this is post-cut. I am actually wilding the lawn and allowing the wild flowers to grow. I cut every few weeks at the highest setting and let them spring up. It makes a huge difference to the number of insects. The wife approves - that’s the tip.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020

View attachment 191403
That little guy is adorable. Wish I had subjects like that strolling into my yard.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
That little guy is adorable. Wish I had subjects like that strolling into my yard.
Your wish might change after they destroyed all the peas and corn, ate the raspberries and trampled the flower bed of worse, ate it. ;)

Here is a moose (back in my D5100 days) wondering why I'm not pleased! I had to throttle back to about 100mm. That tree never rebounded but that was partly due to the sapsuckers. Never the less, I still have a salt lick out back since the garden fence is working well and, like Alan, I like to it is a treat to see them.

MooseMale_N0108.JPG

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
A moose visiting Sheep Lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park near a hazy sundown last night. It spend most of the time submerged. Moose are somewhat new here, but it seems they are regular visitors for now so I need to go back in the daylight soon.

R6, RF800, tripod, DxO PL4. Pushing the limits on light here, trading of ISO for shutter speed or vice versa.
DMR63645.jpgDMR63729.jpgDMR63748.jpgDMR63755.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A moose visiting Sheep Lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park near a hazy sundown last night. It spend most of the time submerged. Moose are somewhat new here, but it seems they are regular visitors for now so I need to go back in the daylight soon.

R6, RF800, tripod, DxO PL4. Pushing the limits on light here, trading of ISO for shutter speed or vice versa.
View attachment 198416View attachment 198415View attachment 198414View attachment 198413
Very nice shots. I see there is something tasty at the bottom of the pond.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Since I haven't posted here for a while... These guys come into my yard to destroy my trees. ;) View attachment 198418View attachment 198419View attachment 198420View attachment 198421
A muntjac at the end of my urban garden. It was taken with the 800mm f/11 at 1120mm with the 1.4x, and this is the full frame scaled down. We are lucky that most unusually we have a chalk stream flowing across the back with a small meadow the other side and lots of scrub even though we are in the city. Just wish I had some US and Canadian birds as well! It was the evening light, and just a beam illuminating the face of the muntjac and not the scrub behind.

309A8464-DxO_Muntjac_small.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0