Puzzled about exposure effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
While I was going through some of my photos I encountered a - at least for me - strange effect.
I made some 900 photos in this shoot and most of them are not affected like the attached photo.
But maybe someone can explain to me what this is and how to avoid it. I don't think it is related to camera or lens but maybe human error?

This is a screenshot of a RAW photo in Lightroom. Nothing has been adjusted.

Why is there a light border on the right of this bird (as an echo of the light on the bird)?
How can I avoid this?

Attachments

• bird with exposure border.jpg
    bird with exposure border.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 236

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
dilbert said:
If you zoom in to the image when the card is in the camera, does that ghost show up there?

Or if it is no longer on a card, see if you can find a tool to extract the JPEGs from the CR2.

I still have it on the card....let me look.....
Yes, the ghost is also on the RAW photo on the card
Card problem, Camera problem, lens problem? :-\

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
candyman said:
Sporgon said:
Looks like a white bleed to me: what lens were you using ? This would suggest it wasn't the best ! Now you're going to tell me it was a 100-400 II ;D

;D of course it is 100-400 II :)

;D

Oh well. I thought it may have been the 70-300 non L, but then if it had been you'd have probably had a bird with two heads rather than a little ghosting !

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Sporgon said:
candyman said:
Sporgon said:
Looks like a white bleed to me: what lens were you using ? This would suggest it wasn't the best ! Now you're going to tell me it was a 100-400 II ;D

;D of course it is 100-400 II :)

;D

Oh well. I thought it may have been the 70-300 non L, but then if it had been you'd have probably had a bird with two heads rather than a little ghosting !

Good they plan to release an update
Yes, two heads.....that would be a great photo in my collection :)

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:
I made some 900 photos in this shoot and most of them are not affected like the attached photo.
How many are affected?

What was your shutter speed?

I going through the photos and also look at the similarities between the composition and lighting and also the settings. May take me a while.

The shutterspeed was 1/640
Aperture f/7.1

Upvote 0
The lens front element or filter might be in need of cleaning or a different cleaning cloth - some cloth types can leave a residue that can cause light to scatter. It may also be a reflection between filter and lens, or within the lens elements themselves. If you can find a static object to photograph that allows you to reproduce the issue, try temporarily removing the filter if you are using one and see if that makes a difference. I've had this kind of issue happen before and removing the filter always clears it up.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:

How many are affected?

What was your shutter speed?

It is very odd....
I have some photos with a nutchhatch is the same composition and similar light (and also same aperture and shutterspeed) and there is no problem

But I found a photo of a great spotted woodpecker and it has ghosting on the left side. Different location and lighting as the dunnock (the other bird here)
The shutterspeed for the woodpecker was 1/640 and the aperture was f/7.1 (the same as the dunnock)

Attachments

• bird with exposure border_GBS.jpg
    bird with exposure border_GBS.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
jabbott said:
The lens front element or filter might be in need of cleaning or a different cleaning cloth - some cloth types can leave a residue that can cause light to scatter. It may also be a reflection between filter and lens, or within the lens elements themselves. If you can find a static object to photograph that allows you to reproduce the issue, try temporarily removing the filter if you are using one and see if that makes a difference. I've had this kind of issue happen before and removing the filter always clears it up.

That is a good suggestion to try out.
Yes, I am using a filter (B+W 007 Clear MRC). I will check for dirt (with bare eye it looks clean). But anyway will clean the filter on both sides and inspect the front lenspart (and clean)
I will furthermore do a test without a filter but need to look for similar conditions of light. That will take me some time.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I checked all my photos (972) from this shoot. Six have the ghosting issue.
@PKinDenmark: you are correct. I took these photos from behind glass. Since it occurs only on such limited amount of photos, I wasn't thinking of the glass being the reason for the ghosting. But I guess it is the combination of the glass, the strong light versus exposure I choose. Although in those photos I tried to 'underexpose' as much as possible given the parameters available. I did not want to go higher with with aperture since I wanted to separate background from subject. I did not want go higher with shutterspeed to keep iso low (still 1600!) If I just would have the control over the exposure compensation in Manual Mode to make such corrections on the 5D MK III. I went with the 7D MK II just a few weeks ago and loved availability of this option on the 7D MKII.

I have to pay attention while choosing birdphotography on location in a situation with glass. Most locations I use do not have glass but camouflage and otherwise it is in the wild (open)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
candyman said:
@PKinDenmark: you are correct. I took these photos from behind glass.

I have to pay attention while choosing birdphotography on location in a situation with glass. Most locations I use do not have glass but camouflage and otherwise it is in the wild (open)

Shooting through glass will definitely do it. Would never have occurred to me, I've shot birds in enclosures rarely, but always through mesh/netting.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.