Quiet APS-C DSLRs?

Jan 15, 2019
The shutter/mirror actions of my 20D, 60D and SL1 are pretty loud. Are there any Canon APS-C DSLR models that are appreciably quieter?

I know some of the full-frame models, like my 6D, are much better-behaved in that respect. But for this question I'm interested specifically in APS-C. Also not interested in mirrorless (M or R) here - just APS-C DSLRs.

Those of you who've had experience with multiple Canon APS-C DSLRs, what say ye?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The 7D2 in "silent" shutter mode is fairly good. Much better than and of the FF DSLR's I have tried, but then again, with only half the mirror size, it is easier to make it quiet.

Certainly quieter than the 30D, 50D, and the 60D. I can not say about the 70D or 80D.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
If you want a silent shutter with a DSLR, use them in live view mode, then they work similar to mirrorless, the mirror is up, shutter open, and just closes for a moment after you take the shot, same as EOS R.

The silent shutter mode is similar, but I prefer live view.

JBSF

EOS 80D
Dec 19, 2014
I've used 60D and own 7D and 7D mark II. Even in normal shutter mode (i.e., not silent), the 7D mark II is much quieter than the other two. I haven't used it in silent mode.

Jan 15, 2019
Thanks, Don. I don't use the "silent single" drive mode on my 6D much, as the regular "single" mode is already pretty subdued. If I could match even that with an APS-C camera as well, I'd be a happy camper.

Burst rate isn't a concern - I'm strictly one-exposure-at-a-time, don't use the "continuous" drive modes at all.

Last edited: