R Exposure Compensation

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I am considering buying a R for close-ups, macro, landscape and astro. I see the exposure compensation is +/- 3 EV while for the 5DIV it is +/- 5 EV. Why?

Good catch. I see this issue was mentioned but not much discussed when the R came out.

I just checked both the 5DIV and the R. In AV Mode, on the 5DIV, my VF shows +/-3, but allows me to keep compensating beyond those numbers another full stop, for +/-4. The R just stops compensating when the little gauge's needle hits 3.

But in Exposure Bracketing, my 5DIV shows +/-8 stops, while the R shows +/-6 stops.

As to "why," my only guess would be Canon decides what specs to put in various cameras.

On a personal use note, Saturday I took the R out for dawn landscape photos, and I really enjoyed using it; however, I also brought my 5DIV, using its Live View. I don't see any edge going to the R for landscape, but I like the perception of better weather sealing on the 5DIV, and the chance to use it for quick moving wild life if the opportunity arises. Still, I do think the R is just about the best PORTAIT camera I've used, as long as the subject is not moving too erratically...

Upvote 0
Good catch. I see this issue was mentioned but not much discussed when the R came out.

I just checked both the 5DIV and the R. In AV Mode, on the 5DIV, my VF shows +/-3, but allows me to keep compensating beyond those numbers another full stop, for +/-4. The R just stops compensating when the little gauge's needle hits 3.

But in Exposure Bracketing, my 5DIV shows +/-8 stops, while the R shows +/-6 stops.

As to "why," my only guess would be Canon decides what specs to put in various cameras.

On a personal use note, Saturday I took the R out for dawn landscape photos, and I really enjoyed using it; however, I also brought my 5DIV, using its Live View. I don't see any edge going to the R for landscape, but I like the perception of better weather sealing on the 5DIV, and the chance to use it for quick moving wild life if the opportunity arises. Still, I do think the R is just about the best PORTAIT camera I've used, as long as the subject is not moving too erratically...

Thank you very much! It appears to be not much of an issue, then. I would like to hang my 400 DO on my 5DIV and have a R for my other lenses. The polarizer/adaptor is an especially attractive accessory.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0