R5 -any guess on how much the body will weigh.

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Slightly less than a 5D MK IV. The mirror and motors will be removed, its thinner due to the shorter lens to sensor distance, so even if its the same width and height, it will weigh less. My guess is 20% less.

The biggest weight difference will be due to the lack of a pentaprism. The mirrors and motor that drives them do not weigh near what the pentaprism does.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
minus (mirror mechanism and its driving motor)
plus (IBIS and its driving motors, heftier battery, electronic view finder, tilty-flippy screen)
overall: smaller, thinner, almost the same weight as 5D4.
Additional stuff are more on the software side and software does not add to physical weight.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I read it is the same size body as the EOS R.
When I compared the photos that Canon has put out with my R, the R5 is obviously larger. There are buttons where no space exists on the R. I had my R right next to me and compared the rotating view of the r5 with it. The R5 is definitely larger. I didn't think to compare it with my 5D MK IV, so I might yet do that. One thing that we do not know yet is the size of the rear LCD. It may be slightly larger as well. I'd estimate 3/8 to 1/2 inch wider and 1/8 higher than my R.

Here is a link to the 360 degree photos, compare it with your R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
minus (mirror mechanism and its driving motor)
plus (IBIS and its driving motors, heftier battery, electronic view finder, tilty-flippy screen)
overall: smaller, thinner, almost the same weight as 5D4.
Additional stuff are more on the software side and software does not add to physical weight.

... Minus a fairly dense and not exactly tiny pentaprism that is heavier than all of the mirror and it's motor...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0