R5 computational photography

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So, what's everybody's opinion on the new computational trickery the R5 introduces? Changing the lighting in n a scene and reducing haze depending on the distance? For examples, see:

I haven't seen much talk about it yet, so I think it is best put here in a separate thread.

I find the depth based dehaze kind of interesting. Does anybody know if the R6 has it too? Did not see references to that so far.

I find it cool that they are exploring some options. At this point, they aren't powerful enough to me to justify using in camera raw conversion of DPP, but they are clearly going in a direction where these might become unique enough features to make looking into it worth it.

Some depth based masking tools would be nice. Different white balancing for a foreground in shade than for a sunlight background for example. The lighting thing has potential too. I am looking forward to more examples.

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Gordon shows the relighting in action in his first looks video. It's after the 9:50 mark, the link should take you there automatically.

I've been asking for Canon to gives up a depth map for a while now, maybe it isn't far off now. Lightroom sort-of handles the iPhone depth map nowadays, but only as a mask. I hope both Lightroom and DPP will allow much more with the depth map in future updates!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Interesting function, but for me it belongs into raw development software or other post processing applications, not into the camera.
Is it feasible to actually control the regions where exposure levels are applied so that highlights don't get blown in the first place in a single frame as opposed to multiple shots - I guess that's the question. Seems a better idea than trying to recover them after they are blown, in DPP. IOW prevention as opposed to cure.

Jack

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm probably just confused. The function that Canon presented is inside DPP? And that is an off-camera application. My comment above was pointless.

I think it's both. Canon has been expanding the 'RAW editor' in their cameras the past few years. It's really nice to be able to scale/crop/rotate and fix highlights before sending the photo to a phone or printer that only understands JPG.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'm probably just confused. The function that Canon presented is inside DPP? And that is an off-camera application. My comment above was pointless.
The article tells which of the functions can be performed in camera, and which are in DPP. The depth map imbedded in the raw allows DPP to make adjustments, and the processor in the camera is good enough to make some adjustments on the fly.

It all depends on your usage of the camera, if you take lots of photos and work on them later, or just a few and spend the time to get them optimized using in camera features. Nothing wrong with either or both.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0